Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My first taste of a spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I can't believe Clarkson doesn't think the 355 is a beautiful design. IMHO it is one of the most beautiful modern cars in existence.
+1
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

I am officially in the market for a 987 spyder. Somewhat regret not getting this nicely optioned one but do strongly believe that there is a spyder waiting for me somewhere. The Porsche gods have blessed me with some great cars each time I looked to buy one. So before I look outside of Rennlist, if anyone is on the fence and have refrained for whatever reason to list their spyder please PM me. I strongly believe in buying the owner and not the car and thats one of the main reason dont like to buy a used car from the dealer. I've thought out how my spyder should be. No fluff or luxury options (ie. interior upgrades, comfy chairs, navigation etc) and 6 speed are the only must haves. The car will be driven regularly and will not be a garage queen so it can have blemishes as long as its not too bad. Dont care about the exterior color or number of owners or MY 2011 vs 2012 ( correct me if I am wrong but there is no difference).

thank you all for all the education so far. w00t is excited to get into a stripped out midengine Porsche roadster.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-02-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I am officially in the market for a 987 spyder.
w00t!! That's great to hear!

Best of luck, and I'll keep my eyes open for you. You're a VERY lucky man to be able to live in such Porsche heaven. Jealous I am, but glad since it could not have happened to a nicer gentleman.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I am officially in the market for a 987 spyder. Somewhat regret not getting this nicely optioned one but do strongly believe that there is a spyder waiting for me somewhere. The Porsche gods have blessed me with some great cars each time I looked to buy one. So before I look outside of Rennlist, if anyone is on the fence and have refrained for whatever reason to list their spyder please PM me. I strongly believe in buying the owner and not the car and thats one of the main reason dont like to buy a used car from the dealer. I've thought out how my spyder should be. No fluff or luxury options (ie. interior upgrades, comfy chairs, navigation etc) and 6 speed are the only must haves. The car will be driven regularly and will not be a garage queen so it can have blemishes as long as its not too bad. Dont care about the exterior color or number of owners or MY 2011 vs 2012 ( correct me if I am wrong but there is no difference).

thank you all for all the education so far. w00t is excited to get into a stripped out midengine Porsche roadster.

There's a Spyder which was just posted on Planet 9 located in MD. It has been tracked a few times, I'm not sure if that matters to you or not. The silver/red one in RI already sold unfortunately. I will say when you find the right one don't hesitate because they seem to be selling within 1 - 2 weeks of being listed.

So I have to ask, which of the cars are you going to let go?

Good luck with the search!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully the theme is to add to the collection, rather than letting one go......
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

I am lucky to have a special person who is my close friend, philosopher, guide and advisor when it comes to Porsche. He and I have been talking for a long time. We speak about what would make sense to my collection. ? adding an air-cooled (pre-73 SWB car or even a 356) vs a Boxster spyder. It will be my hobby car (but I will drive it on a very regular basis) and ultimately being the sole breadwinner my friend thought that the spyder would be the safer car. It will still be a throwback to the earlier cars with a safety cushion in case a texting teenager rams into my vehicle. So the key there was to get a spyder true to its spirit and not something that has a ton of options (I have an overloaded C4S and Cayenne for that). I still felt that given the fact that I have the "best" (IMO) daily driver Porsche for PNW in the form of a PDK 997.2 C4S (one can argue that the 997 TTS is better but I have no interest in more HP) and a ultimate drivers modern day car in the form of the MK II RS (again this is my opinion) the stable had to have a old school Porsche.

The P-car connoisseur in me yearned for the older, less evolved versions of the car. How would I be perceived in the eyes of a Porsche cognescenti who sees nothing but water cooled cars in my line up. But ultimately the spyder won on three counts:

1. Safer car.
2. The experience of owning a mid-engine roadster with no-frills that one sees in a
modern day car.
3. The last year I have spent more time in this section than any other section or site
including 356 registry, early 911s registry. I don't belong to the generations of gearheads
who grew up with a poster of a early 911 or a 356. On the contrary the spyder is the car
that I feel that I missed out on after my foray into Porsche ownership.
So that in itself is proof that the spyder should be my next Porsche. I am buying the car
for myself and not to prove my passion or love of Porsche to some enthusiast out there.

So there you go. Vetnam thank you for those very kind words. Afshin the Cayenne and the RS stays. The C4S will stay until I put 100k miles on it after which I will hand it down to my
daughter and get a pre-73 911S .. I can't disappoint my friends in the 911 section afterall. They miss me there a lot
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I think PORSCHE of San Antonio still has a white one but I don't know how it is optioned.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:25 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Not for me. Has PDK. Love it on my C4S. Do not want it for a hobby car which is what the spyder will be. Beautiful color combo though w/ Carrara white and natural red reminding me of those 356 cabriolets. Say hi to your Cayenne for me. How many miles on that beauty? Mine has 25K miles and going strong.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Found the following on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...34083191&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32435987&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...34359069&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...33134662&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...34937303&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29763266&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...30010660&Log=0

The red one looks like it might be a good match although I'm not sure what your color preference is.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Wow. Thanks a lot Afshin. I've seen all the auto trader/cars/P-dealer sites. I've been fixated about a particular color in the past but the more I know about the spyder the more I feel its about the options (or lack thereof) just like my RS (which you have showered praise on) and not about a color. The red one is sold as per the owner email a week ago. Patience is a virtue which I sorely lack. I know the Spyder pool is minimal especially when the market is flooded with ads for a Spyder that starts with "Its loaded with options" . I met with the same problems with the RS. I am talking with several owners. I love this community. There is a car out there that will be the right one for me. I will treat you all to something special. I promise.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-02-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Have some questions as I enter the market. Any change for the spyder for the MY 2011 vs 2012. How easy is it to retrofit sports chrono and sport shifter is I ever decide to have them done. Again this is a car where less is more so I highly doubt that I would want any option for that matter.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woot, you want PSE for certain, and chrono does make heel toe work a little better, if that matters to you. Best of luck in your search. Glad another spyder's coming to the evergreen state!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

But batty doesn't PSE add weight to the car which is against the ethos of the spyder? I guess is worth the weight penalty given how the sound transforms the car. Should be an easy retrofit right? Heel and toe is something I would love to learn so thanks for that tip on having a SC Batty.

My dream spec is

Basalt black or Carrara white, 6speed, natural red leather, A/c delete, PCCB (may be SC and sport shifter but not must haves) and PSE (only if it does not add weight). Now if there is one like that up for sale, I am all over it and will do anything within my capacity to buy that car.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

PSE was not a must have for me. There's plenty of aftermarket options with better sound and less weight. The Sport Plus Sport Chrono programming can actually be added so you can have the programming without the dash wart.
A/C delete is probably going to be hard to find. You can always remove the a/c afterwards and reinstall if you ever have to sell.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

If you don't plan on getting an aftermarket exhaust, then get the PSE. Stock exhaust is way too quiet. You can't hear anything until you go above 5k rpms. 'Weight penalty' is not anything anybody would notice or care about.

Quick Reply: My first taste of a spyder