Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 model variations by country

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 model variations by country

Hi
With my USA 981 on order, I was browsing the "build your own" in various countries. I know that the sport bucket seats, Euro exterior mirrors etc are unavailable here, and that some other countries you pay up for floor mats, A/C, tinted glass and so on. The difference that intrigued me the most was that an inflatable baby spare tire is available in the middle east (option 447), not that i would have a place to put a punctured full size tire! anybody have an idea about why that option isnt more widely available? Porsche USA is clueless.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolet
Hi
With my USA 981 on order, I was browsing the "build your own" in various countries. I know that the sport bucket seats, Euro exterior mirrors etc are unavailable here, and that some other countries you pay up for floor mats, A/C, tinted glass and so on. The difference that intrigued me the most was that an inflatable baby spare tire is available in the middle east (option 447), not that i would have a place to put a punctured full size tire! anybody have an idea about why that option isnt more widely available? Porsche USA is clueless.
My WAG is the absence of the inflatable tire option in the USA is due to the presence of CAFE in the USA while the middle east market is free of that burden.

IIRC Porsche already pays a CAFE penalty for every car it sells and it wants to avoid adding to that.

AFAIK, there's nothing that says you can't order this setup from the Porsche parts counter and install it yourself.

A caution though: The above assumes that this option does *not* result in a physical difference in the car's construction, say it may result in a different shape of front trunk tub being fitted to provide room for the spare tire, tool kit, and pump.

I've never looked at a new Boxster's front trunk to see if there is any room for any spare tire.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

On a related note I read about the new (a while back) GTS that could be had with a 90 liter gas tank. I like a big gas tank to cut down in the number of times I have to stop for fuel on my long road trips.

But I found out that the 90 liter fuel tank is not available in USA spec'd GTS cars. That nipped my GTS ownership dreams in the bud. Well, that and a lack of funds. Sigh.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM
shine
Advanced

I believe a spare tire is required in some countries. So one is supplied and promptly removed after delivery.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a lot of options are bundled into "packages" in the US: premium package, convenience package and so on.
All the stuff included in those packages are separate items here in Europe, so usually it's not really a difference in options available, it's just a choice by the importer to bundle them differently.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

packages are usually cheaper than the aggregate cost of the items separately
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM
cabriolet
Intermediate

thanks, all. very interesting comments. the A4 that I am trading for the 981 has a full size spare, and every car we've owned to date (bar one) has had a spare - even if it's a shopping cart wheel! my wife's 328i was our first without any spare, but it has runflat tires and could survive a cut sidewall for a reasonable distance. the 981's can of compressed air and sealant will deal with most punctures (although it usually ruins the tire for later use, from what i've been told), but does nothing for a cut tire. i figure somewhere in the next 10 years i will pay for a flatbed tow and a rental car, and factor those into the joys of ownership!
but even more important to me, today, is the month or so until the baby arrives!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 model variations by country