Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 boxster roof leaking problem in heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 AM
mrhulala
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 boxster roof leaking problem in heavy rain

Anyone gets water leaked in while sitting in pouring rain? This happened to me last weekend. Water was dripping in from the top of the window frame on both doors at pretty much the same location.

Is this normal for soft tops??
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely NOT normal. I know - I have an 08 Boxster S.

Don't know where you're from, but if in USA you should still be under factory warranty. Take it to a dealer and get it fixed.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Definitely NOT normal. I know - I have an 08 Boxster S.

Don't know where you're from, but if in USA you should still be under factory warranty. Take it to a dealer and get it fixed.

Good luck.
Absolutely. It's a quick fix. No one wants to get the inside of their car wet every time their car is washed.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
mrhulala
Track Day

Thanks for the replies, guys!

It's been really frustrating for me recently. Bought the car in May, first p car love it until the problems came up.

July: Coolant leaking problem, had to replace the whole cap part at the dealer.
July: Overheat warning light went off, towed to the dealer to fix the air pocket issue in the coolant system that was caused by the previous issue.
Aug: Failure of engine comp blower light went off a couple times; fans are still working; did research myself seems a common problem with the sensor.
Aug: Water dripping in through the roof edge strips...

Will take to the dealer again to fix both issues, hopefully...
Old 08-08-2012, 01:24 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey bud,

I've also chased coolant gremlins before and know how frustrating it can be. I've also had convertible top leakage issues before in my life (don't ask)... NOT cool, and VERY frustrating.

Best of luck to you. Mind updating us on where you're from? BTW, if one dealer proves fruitless, try another one (assuming you live close to more than 1 dealer). BTW, a competent dealer should NOT have left an air pocket to burp out later.... I can do that myself in my garage!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
mrhulala
Track Day

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Hey bud,

I've also chased coolant gremlins before and know how frustrating it can be. I've also had convertible top leakage issues before in my life (don't ask)... NOT cool, and VERY frustrating.

Best of luck to you. Mind updating us on where you're from? BTW, if one dealer proves fruitless, try another one (assuming you live close to more than 1 dealer). BTW, a competent dealer should NOT have left an air pocket to burp out later.... I can do that myself in my garage!!!
Thanks! I'm from Burlington, Canada. Luckily there're 2 dealerships within the 50km radius. Hopefully they could fix these issues when I go in for oil change..
Old 08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Not normal based on my experience/info.

What I did experience though with my 02 Boxster was at some point -- not from new but after time but I can't recall when I noticed this first -- the driver's side side glass would let some drops of water in while I was washing the car.

I never spotted any water coming in sitting in heavy rain, or driving in heavy rain.

Not a real serious problem and easy to deal with -- I just avoided aiming the water hose or DIY car wash wand nozzle at that area -- so I lived with it for years.

Long story short the driver's side window regulator finally stopped working and it was replaced. The window regulator is what raises/lowers the window, driven by a motor.

After this was replaced the leak is no longer there.

A lot of words to say that the leak may be nothing more than a marginal adjustment of the window could cure.

If the car is under warranty the dealer should take care of this. Do not take "they all do this", because it is not true.

If you get this ask dealer to demo using as new car on the lot.

If the car is not under warranty it should still be addressed but you'll have to pay for it. My WAG is the adjustment should take the tech under an hour each side. But this is just my WAG.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not normal. Make sure your drains are cleared, similiar to this:
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 AM
mrhulala
Track Day

Just want to update the status

The car was dropped off at the dealership(pfaff Toronto) today for oill change and I asked the dealer to fix a couple issues for me, here's the reply I got back:

1. Re-adjusted the roof mounting for leaking problem

2. Replaced clutch paddle switch for fixing "depress clutch paddle" message I got every time I tried to start. This is a known issue but not sure why they didn't issue a recall..

3. Engine comp blower Failure msg came up a couple times but they say they could find anything so nothing could be done... It's still under warranty so I guess if it was not, they would be happier to spend a couple hrs on diagnosing...

For 6 months of ownership and been going through these issues, I guess Im lucky It's still under warranty but I start to think leasing might be a better way to own a Porsche so no worry about repair cost?

Last edited by mrhulala; 10-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
jerry chan
1st Gear

Default boxster roof leak

my '99 boxster i bought new had undiagonsed roof leaks when it rains and it fried the starting unit under the floor mat recently and cost 1,600 to replace which included taking out the whole mat and looking for leak source which they still cant find. you might want to check behind both seats and if mat is wet then fix the problem before your unit shorts out. anyone else know the leak causes besides around window seals?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM
Andmick
2nd Gear

@mrhulala

I have just encountered this problem with my hood. It leaks on identical places on either side. I had no problem like this last week as I took the car to the Carwash and it was dry after that, today in heavy rain the water was streaming in.

Can you advise if your alteration fixed the problem?

Quick Reply: 09 boxster roof leaking problem in heavy rain