Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

In my opinion the most popular/attractive color that Porsche currently offers via PTS, and the safest 'investment' choice if you are cautious about choosing an expensive $5,500 option, is.....'Riviera Blue'!

I couldn't agree more - very much looking forward to my Riviera Spyder :-) Actually Porsche seems to have improved the logistics for PTS - at least the change of the specced colour did not come with a time penalty in my case (October built), but then it's not a firm date yet and may be postponed again when adding the now available LWB to the specsheet...
Anyway, I very much appreciate your excellent work regarding the Porsche colour palette, Eduardo Great stuff!

Regarding Lichtgrün: spotted a 991 Coupe in this colour today in a P-showroom and I think this stunning paint will fit a GT4 perfectly Strange enough my IPhone camera was not able at all to "catch" the colour

I also was astonished to spot a Lava Orange 991 GTS in the showroom (thought this colour would be exclusive to the GT3 RS for a while...)

Re Miami Blue: Miami Blau was a VW/AUDI colour in the seventies - L51C.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default At what Porsche Zentrum are these two 991s located?

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Regarding Lichtgrün: spotted a 991 Coupe in this colour today in a P-showroom and I think this stunning paint will fit a GT4 perfectly Strange enough my IPhone camera was not able at all to "catch" the colour

I also was astonished to spot a Lava Orange 991 GTS in the showroom (thought this colour would be exclusive to the GT3 RS for a while...)
I don't know...I think your camera gave us a fairly accurate representation. Why did you decided not to post that photo here on Rennlist? I liked it!

I'll be in your general area of the Rhineland at Traben-Trarbach on July 21 & 22, 2015 (next week!). What is the name & location of that Porsche Zentrum so I can visit & see them in person? Thanks.

Re Miami Blue: Miami Blau was a VW/AUDI colour in the seventies - L51C.
I should have (hopefully) a photo of the color Porsche calls 'Miami Blue' today or tomorrow.

Loess paint sample of 'Miami Blue' (M5C)

1957/1959 Porsche 356A 'Aquamarine' / Porsche color code 5707. Ian brought up the similarity in the 981 'Custom Ordering' thread:

I think its important to note that a customer requested 'Aquamarine' as a PTS color, PAG did a feasibility study on it & approved it...
for the Panamera, but rejected it for the 991/981. Why???

Do you remember when not that long ago Rennlister djcxxx actually requested 'Blutorange/Tangerine' from 'Porsche Exclusive',
a feasibility study was done on it and it was similarly rejected?

Well, PAG changed the formula by a few shades & introduced it as 'Lava Orange' on the 991 gt3 RS! I think we have the making
of a similar phenomenon here with 'Miami Blue'. It might be the vintage/historic 356 'Aquamarine', but up/down a few shades!

Some still believe that Porsche's new 'Miami Blue' is closer to is the lighter/bluer L51C from the 74-78 VW's than the Grey-Blue ''Taubenblau'
based on internal dealer emails they have been privy to. I have been promised by a high-up at 'Porsche Exclusive' that they will try to send
me photo of actual color as soon as they (PCNA!) get it in Atlanta. That hopefully will on Monday! So we might put an end to the speculation
pretty soon and have confirmed information on what 'Miami Blue' truly will look like! We will keep everyone posted!

Anyway, I very much appreciate your excellent work regarding the Porsche colour palette, Eduardo Great stuff!
Thank you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I don't know...I think your camera gave us a fairly accurate representation. Why did you decided not to post that photo here on Rennlist? I liked it!

I'll be in your general area of the Rhineland at Traben-Trarbach on July 21 & 22, 2015 (next week!). What is the name & location of that Porsche Zentrum so I can visit & see them in person? Thanks.

Hehe, good one :-) Easy answer: I thought the predominantly US audience here on RL would still have a good rest dreaming of their next Porsche at this hour of the day (especially in Carmel) :-) Actually the colour "re-appeared" this morning only when I transferred the jpg files from my IPhone to the PC. On my IPhone the Lichtgrün colour still looks like a darker shade of white Very mysterious, almost Vodoo-ish, but no, that's another thread....

Here's the address of the PZ where I took the pics:

http://www.porsche-bensberg.de/de/

Actually it's closer to Cologne and approximately 200 km from Traben-Trarbach. BTW from Traben-Trarbach it's only a hop to the 'Ring :-)

Good thing in the Rhein/Ruhr area is the density of Porsche Centers: within 30 minutes I can reach eight of them, within 45 minutes another four or so...

Let me know if I can help with any kind of information for your trip.

And here's your bonus pic of the Lichtgrün 991
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Lichtgrün...

Hehe, good one :-) Easy answer: I thought the predominantly US audience here on RL would still have a good rest dreaming of their next Porsche at this hour of the day (especially in Carmel) :-) Actually the colour "re-appeared" this morning only when I transferred the jpg files from my IPhone to the PC. On my IPhone the Lichtgrün colour still looks like a darker shade of white Very mysterious, almost Vodoo-ish, but no, that's another thread....

Here's the address of the PZ where I took the pics:

http://www.porsche-bensberg.de/de/

Actually it's closer to Cologne and approximately 200 km from Traben-Trarbach. BTW from Traben-Trarbach it's only a hop to the 'Ring :-)

Good thing in the Rhein/Ruhr area is the density of Porsche Centers: within 30 minutes I can reach eight of them, within 45 minutes another four or so...

Let me know if I can help with any kind of information for your trip.

And here's your bonus pic of the Lichtgrün 991
Thanks for the information...I'll be in touch with you via PM & email!

Edited to ask one more question: Is that rear deck louvres done in deviated color satin 'Black'?

That must be a special request to 'Porsche Exclusive' via their 'CXX' option:

Or painted aftermarket. It is a used car after all with 8K+ miles on the odometer!

http://www.porsche-bensberg.de/de/ge...17&page=2&#car

'Porsche-Jeck': If you can answer on 991 thread so that it reaches a more interested audience, it would be appreciated!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-57.html

Danke!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 07-14-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Need more info on 'Birch Green' 911S
Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Also sprach Zarathustra', Nietzsche & PTS...

As promised by Barbara Boeckenhoff (Manager, Porsche Exclusive - Personal Design PCNA), today I received the following information from Melissa Witek, whom we all have to thank for her dedicated service to customers on issues of PTS & 'Exclusive' options. I also want to thank Ms. Barbara Boeckenhoff for her assistance in these matters and arranging for my visit with 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany.

I have decided not to attempt any analysis of it, but reported just as I received it. Like Nietzsche, I am trying to be philosophical about it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I depart tomorrow for Germany and have a tour of the factory on Thursday July 16th and a luncheon & afternoon session with 'Porsche Exclusive' executives on a Friday July 17th. I will report on those at a later date. I am also trying to arrange for a tour of the Porsche Leipzig production facility on Monday, July 27th.

To make it easier to read, my questions to 'Porsche Exclusive' are in 'red'. Melissa's responses are in 'blue'.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:12 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 876 Posts

Just talked to Matthew Henry... Spyder and GT4 are still open for PTS. It will add a 4 month delay to your original build allocation. So that means late Spring for me.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 07-14-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:57 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 876 Posts

Eduardo,
Do you know what color this is?

Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Gelbgrün'...

Originally Posted by navanoD
Eduardo,
Do you know what color this is?

Donovan: It looks like 'Gelbgrün', code 137, to me. But in a very bright sun.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Frankfurt International Airport
Germany
Old 07-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I love that lava orange! wonder how that would look on the Spyder
Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Oh and another view of the Miami blue next to ipanmea, thanks to Melissa.
She's says they are very similar in hue.
Eduardo, is miami PTS for certain models only? Can't seem to find it on the list.

Miami on the right of the photo
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Miami Blue'...

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Eduardo, is miami PTS for certain models only? Can't seem to find it on the list.
We will have to ask 'Porsche Exclusive' if 'Miami Blue' is exclusive to the RS. Initially we thought 'Lava Orange' was exclusive to the RS and then it became a 'Special Color' on the MY 2016 991.

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Oh and another view of the Miami blue next to ipanmea, thanks to Melissa. She's says they are very similar in hue.

Miami on the right of the photo
Well that statement complicates matter rather than make them easier.

'Ipanema Blue' was (to speak frankly) a rather unsuccessful MY2012 997 color that is is a metallic. It has quite a bit of green in it. It's color code 3S2. It should NOT look too much like 'Miami Blue' from the photos she sent us. So that line of 'explanation' is rather puzzling to me.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bietigheim
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Hmm. That is odd. Those were here exact words to me.
She did say the Miami blue has a lot of green in it. It looks like a lot less green than ipanema though.
Idk.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Presently in Germany...

Dear Rennlisters:

Will try to keep it simple & concise to cover the highlights of this visit..or should I say pilgrimage. Last time I was at Zuffenhausen was in 2013 in April. That visit was covered on the following thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...a-991-gt3.html

I arrived with my wife this morning (July 15th) at Frankfurt International on a direct flight from San Francisco. Rented an Avis Mercedes A car and headed to our first location which will be our base for the next two days. It's a 'Romantik Hotel' in the town of Bietigheim.

The place we are staying is the F. Von-Schiller:

http://www.friedrich-von-schiller.co...=hotel&lang=en

After taking a brief walk around town, we prepared for our first appointment on our trip. Jürgen Barth, retired works driver and winner of Le Mans in 1977 driving a 936 with Jacky Ickx & Hurley Haywood, had invited us to dinner at his home in a nearby town (all north of Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jürgen_Barth

Surprisingly, Jürgen had also invited Michael Roock & his wife Angela to the dinner. Michael is an old friend from the 1990's that I knew when he ran a famous racing team with his brother Fabian! His team won the gt2 class at Le Mans in 1996 and Roock Racing was quite a force for a number of years in international competitive Porsche motorsport!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roock_Racing

The blonde next to me is Jürgen's French girlfriend. My wife is in this next shot:

What a fabulous start to a vacation in Germany! A lot of stories and...a lot of wine. Jürgen did all the cooking by himself. He is quite the chef! I will see him next at our home in Carmel during Rennsport V. The latter will be the occasion for his next visit to the United States!

Tomorrow will mark the first of two days of visits to Porsche in Zuffenhausen. Will keep all posted.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ly-2015-a.html

If anyone wants to follow this visit, please go to the thread above at the gt3 forum since its going to be too time consuming to duplicate same thread on this forum! Thanks

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bietigheim, Germany
Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Slate Grey' 615 vs 'Slate Grey' Y97 / Photo of the two color samples together!

And as background to our readers on this color controversy, let me repeat this earlier exchange on this topic here on Rennlist:

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The original slate grey color code was 615 from '64 to '69 even though the Paint No. changed from 6401 to 6601 to 6801
as the years progressed. I have an order incoming in 615 and I'm not convinced the AWE pictures aren't enhanced photoshopped
given the colors on the taillights, emblems etc in their original thread. I'll find out in October for sure what it looks like when my
Targa arrives.
Nate. I still want to know what the 'Slate Grey' Y97 actually looks like. To further confuse us, PAG initially didn't have color code Y97
listed as 'Slate Grey/Schiefergrau'. In earlier 991 / 981 / Panamera PTS approved lists published since 2012, that Y97 color code was
first called ''Silberstein/Silver Stone'! It is only in just recent months that PAG has changed the name associated with Y97 and now
calls it 'Slate Grey' too!

By the way Nate, the earliest appearance of 'Slate Grey' as a Porsche offering happened in MY1960 for the 356B as color code 6001.
So that was the 'original' 'Slate Grey' at PAG.

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I don't have a confirmed vehicle picture of Y97 (or 615 for that matter), but this is a Y97 Porsche Exclusive rendering (build sheet is also attached).

This is also supposed to be RAL 7015, so the rendering seems ok compared to it.

That which you posted above Nate helps makes my case that Y97 'Slate Grey' looks a lot like that show 991 car in Geneva which Suzy911
originally posted in this forum a while back!

Daniel since reported to us that Suzy911 since corrected her original post and stated the slate color above was '615'. And Jams & others
have stated that 'Porsche Exclusive' has investigated the photo above and confirmed that Geneva show car was '615' and not 'Y97'

In contrast to the AWE 991 Turbo in PTS 'Slate Grey', color code 615, which looks quite different...and more like the vintage/historic Porsche 'Slate Grey'!

Unfortunately, the 'Slate Grey' samples (both color code 615 & Y97) were missing on Friday July 17th & my guide at 'Porsche Exclusive' at Zuffenhausen
couldn't find them in the short time we had at the 'Wailing Wall'. More when I continue my posts on my other thread regarding my visit to Germany.

Some news on this front. Rennlister 'Blu RS' from Northern California contacted me via PM on 7/15 asking if I was able to get photos of
the two 'Slate Grey' PTS colors on the approved list - color code '615' color code & the elusive 'Y97'. Here is what I responded to him:

So then 'Blu RS' contacted Melissa Witek of 'Porsche Exclusive' in Atlanta, attached my response to him, and asked if she could provide
him with an answer. And she did, sending him this interesting photo!

In Melissa's own words (in red):

'Please see attached for the Slate Greys next to a vanity plate:

The one on the left side is Slate Grey RAL 7015 (code Y97), and the middle is Slate Grey 6601 (code 615)."

I am still surprised at this photo. I thought it would be the inverse. If anyone that reads Rennlist has ordered & received a
PTS 'Slate Grey' Y97, please post photos. We would like to see a fuller representation of this color. We have been told here
at Rennlist that the AWE 911 Turbo S is 'Slate Grey' 615. If anyone else has another PTS '615' & can photograph it for us,
we would also appreciate that! And Nate should soon receive his '615' Targa.

We are grateful to 'Blu RS' and Melissa Witek for getting us this photo showing both 'Slate Grey' approved PTS colors
side by side!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Traben-Trarbach, Germany

Last edited by Z356; 07-23-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Thank You Daniel For Catching spelling error on some of the Y97 (not Y92) Color Code!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice score Eduardo! That is the scenario I expected... Y97 lighter. Would love to see them both in the shot with grey-black too! Thanks for the recon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!