Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 06-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Paint to Sample has little hilarity to it!

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Eduardo, thanks I had seen this... the hilarity of this color wall though is that they don't provide names go to with it. It's like they want you to go nuts playing detective... what good are a bunch of samples without names attached?

I'm going to go to my SA and say, "I'd like fourth row down, 6 from the left please"
They have the official name and color code attached to each of these samples.

They are on the back!

Here is the drill, Alessandro. This wall is at the 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen. It's designed for customers to go there in person with an appointment and look at these color samples in person. It is not meant to be a system where you look at a photo in the internet and say "I'll take the one in the fourth row down, 6 from the left" (which I believe is 'Signal Green', code 22S). Even this 'Wailing Wall' doesn't have all the PTS colors approved, just the most popular in Germany. When I was there in 2011, the 'Wall' was much smaller...

But in any case, it's a very subtle differentiation, but the program is called 'Paint to Sample'. Porsche doesn't want you to go by any photograph of a 'Paint Sample', especially one found on their own Zuffenhausen 'wall', and choose a PTS color! You want you to know what color you want & love. They want you to see what the color looks like in person. They want you to be very pro-active in the PTS process. In theory, they want you to send them a sample of the color you want and they'll match it & tested. The onus is on you. They don't want any surprises - from you or your ordering dealer - if they take an order for PTS & later you don't like it. They don't want any 'rejections' once the PTS car is built & delivered to the dealer. I hope this is understood by all!

However, to help with their US customers, PAG has now apparently decided to make sample colors of all (or most) approved PTS colors and send them to their only two 'Porsche Exclusive' locations in the US - Georgia & California. We have heard that now from two separate Rennlisters on this forum, communicated to them by either Melissa Witek or Matthew Henry. Customers who are considering ordering PTS, but don't have a particular color in mind, will be encouraged to go to these offices in person and see for themselves some of these approved PTS color samples. It is a step forward now that PTS has become so popular and so many are choosing from the approved list...rather than to ask for a bespoke color of their own. It's still risky for PAG for the same liability reasons, but they must feel some assurance that they can live with it. And instead of having to go to Zuffenhausen to pay homage & photograph the 'wailing wall', we will be able to go to PCNA-Atlanta or Beverly Hills,California....and do the same thing!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Eduardo... next time i drive through Carmel, i'm going to stop by your place and give you a big bear hug. you'll be surprised, startled... annoyed... but I'll feel good about it. (here you go... PTS green emoticon)

PS. buying an LAX flight just to go look at fookin' wall of color swatches
Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Oh, no, bear hugs...

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Eduardo... next time i drive through Carmel, i'm going to stop by your place and give you a big bear hug. you'll be surprised, startled... annoyed... but I'll feel good about it.
No, that is fine. But let me just tell you that, at least here in California, that is a very slippery road! That is how Bruce Jenner started - a bear hug here & there to other guys - and look where he ended up!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-18-2015, 08:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

ok, ok.. high five and a beer then.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 991 GTS Wheels

Has anyone seen a GTS with Turbo S wheels? I am wording a MY2016 Targa GTS with that configuration. Carmine Red with Carmine Red GTS interior. I think it will really nice......Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Yes...at a similar thread on the 991 Forum!

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Has anyone seen a GTS with Turbo S wheels? I am wording a MY2016 Targa GTS with that configuration. Carmine Red with Carmine Red GTS interior. I think it will really nice......Any thoughts?
Yes, go to this other thread at the 991 forum:

Starts at #784:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-53.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-06-2015, 03:06 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Will the real 'Gelbgrün' please stand up...

Repost from another thread...but since it's PTS related, I am adding it here in case it might be of interest to someone thinking of 'Gelbgrün'!

Originally Posted by Slip
Eduardo, yes, you're correct, I've seen the Gelbgrün in person and the rendering online was the closest I could find however it is not exactly the same. Agree that you need to see these colours for yourself before making any decisions. I think the same goes for the standard colours of orange and purple. There are so many over saturated / filtered pics floating around that it's hard to know exactly what you'll get.
That is right, Slip. Good for you for sorting it all out!

Originally Posted by NateOZ
...I don't pretend to know Slip's ordering process, but I order cars all the time without seeing them in person - it's part of the fun.

Here's the same 4.0 on the same day, different lighting or is this the true natural picture before they enhanced it? I'm putting my money on the later...

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Right - it's not the exact same picture, but it's the only one from the entire shoot that has that color to it. So I'm on the other side of this bet with the rest of the shoot being more true to modern Glebgrun. I believe they've tried to remove reflective effect of the modern paint to make it look more like the vintage color. My money is on the color being more like this on a 991 in bright light and more like the one you posted in the shade/indoors. Again, just my view so people need to do their own diligence with their orders. This one actually shows it pretty well, you can see where the shadows hit the car it looks more green and less yellow.

I am trying to shed light on these colors so that Rennlisters get an opportunity to consider these various PTS possibilities. I can't let this topic dropped without pointing what I know about 'Gelbgrün', color code 137, so that it can help set the record straight. First some background on the particular vehicle that has been the subject of our recent discussion. It is a .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0, #001 of the 600 Limited Edition series. It was custom ordered in PTS 'Gelbgrün', color code 137, by its owner, Teamspeed member 'BluScorpio':

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/67973...-rs-4-0-a.html

The owner posted this photo of the 'Gelbgrün' color sample he was shown by Porsche during his visit to 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany and which he used to decide what to order on his RS:

Here are photos after the 'Gelbgrün' arrived in SouthEast Asia:

So far, so good. Then the owner takes this photo in the sun, which is a
total technical 'fail' if you ask any professional photographer.

And he apparently has a professional photo shoot done on his gt3 RS which is posted at another thread in Teamspeed.

http://teamspeed.com/forums/gt/71560...001-600-a.html

This is where the controversy on the color begins and the reason Nate & I are having this discussion!

As a consumer of information, you will have to decide what to believe about 'Gelbgrün'. I know the color well and it looks like this 1974 911:

It looks like this color sample, color code 137, supplied by someone that was considering it:

And it looks like this color sample supplied to the owner of the 4.0 by Porsche itself when he visited Zuffenhausen:

So, in summary, if Nate & perhaps others want to believe 'Gelbgrün' actually looks more like this digitally manipulated, metallic-looking photographs taken during the dramatic photo shoot...go right ahead!

Nate is not ordering a PTS 'Gelbgrün' on his 991 gt3 RS (it will be 'Viper Green'), so he can afford to be somewhat 'glib' about this particular 'grün'! But if you, on the other hand, are seriously considering 'Gelbgrün', you need to have all the facts at your disposal so that you can make an intelligent choice on this both historic & stunning solid green color! So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PTS Window...and the PTS time requirement on orders!

A repost from another thread...but it's worth repeating often on this subject of PTS!

Originally Posted by tbc417
Given the PTS is now available does anyone know the PTS window or can you get PTS with any build date?
In the recent past, PAG has required at least a minimum of 3 months from the day your PTS custom order is entered into PCNA/PAG order bank computers until the scheduled day of production! That is assuming, of course, that you are choosing an already approved PTS color!

So if your dealer entered your order with PCNA/PAG on September 1, 2015, expect your production date to be after December 1, 2015. And so your dealer allocation needs also be for that December month too! Porsche will usually work that out with your dealer, but not always*. If for whatever reason (e.g. high demand) PTS production schedules are full for December, your PTS build could be pushed into later months.

The PTS 'window' refers only to when PCNA/PAG will allow a dealer to order a PTS custom order in the ordering system. The PTS 'window' might close on some near future date...but if your dealer placed the order during the open PTS 'window' timeframe, your PTS build should be honored! And it will be built past when the PTS window itself closes. The key is to get your order 'in' during the period the PTS window is 'Open'.

*Some smaller dealers might not allow you to take up a valuable allocation for PTS if it delays production since they are counting on that sale & cash-flow earlier on their books. Or if PAG is not interested in too many PTS cars all bunching up in production, it might itself denied your dealer the ability to move his earlier allocation to one that coincides with the required 3 month delay in production.

As we move into the changing .2 facelift schedules for the 991 and 981 in the fall of 2015 & early months of 2016, PAG might altered the normal PTS schedules (make it more difficult & inaccessible) to simplify their production scheduling. PTS at Porsche is a complicated & often moving target...so caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Default ^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. I am ordering the Spyder through a very small long term dealer in Colorado and having the above issues regarding PTS.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by il pirata
Exactly. I am ordering the Spyder through a very small long term dealer in Colorado and having the above issues regarding PTS.
Ed Carroll in Fort Collins? Keep us posted.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Favorite PTS...and least Favorites!

A repost from the gt4 forum. But it might be of interest to others here.

Originally Posted by Steve D
Hello Eduardo,

First, thanks for sharing so much information on PTS.

"If history is a guide, it will...if you choose your PTS color wisely"

After reading the above quote from you, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on Light Green (Licht Grün), code 253, on a GT4. Recently saw an Acid Green 918 and thought it was killer. I know we are talking two different colors but they seem to be very close. Not sure how this color will transfer to a GT4 body/style in the flesh.
Originally Posted by Mike981S
Licht Grün is an aweful color... don't do it!

(Says the guy who ordered his GT4 in light green )

Here is a picture of my racing yellow Boxster next to a light green 991 turbo (more pics on flickr):

Porsche 991 911 Turbo S Paint To Sample "Light Green" and 981 Boxster S Racing Yellow by Michael, on Flickr
Steve:

Like my friend Mike981S, some of us like to kid around this forum quite a bit. But I absolutely love 'Lichtgrün', color code 253, which although is currently translated in the list as 'Light Green', is historically known from 1974 in US Porsche literature as 'Birch Green'. As you can see from Mike's photo above, Henry's 'Birch Green' 911 Turbo S Cabriolet is one of the most beautiful cars ordered this year from Porsche! Not only the exterior color, but all the interior details that Henry requested on that custom order!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-ed-today.html

I personally think 'Lichtgrün' will look stunning on a gt4. Since we don't have 'Acid Green' approved for the 991/981, we don't have to worry too much about it. Even at this date we still don't know if the few 918's done in a similar color are 'Lichtgrün' even though reports are calling it 'Acid Green'! And 'Lichtgrün' will be a very desirable color at resale on a gt4 (my personal opinion).

Originally Posted by Steve D
Have been trying to read all of you posts on PTS here and on the GT3 side. I have not seen a list from you on your favorite PTS colors. Would you mind sharing your favorite and least favorite current PTS colors?

Steve

Favorite PTS and Least Favorite PTS

As you know, this is all very personal and varies widely from person to person. But let me say this on the subject. In general I am very attracted to the solid/uni colors from the 'golden age' of Porsche exterior paint options - which in my opinion started around 1969 and ended in the mid-1970's!

As most that have follow my PTS posts on Rennlist know by now, I am very partial to the solid greens in the Porsche palette:

'Lichtgrün'
'Gelbgrün'
'Signal Green'
'Viper Green'
'Chartreuse/Lindgrün' (hopefully soon to be approved)
'Grün' (formerly 'RS Grün')
'Reingrün/Pure Green' (recently approved 'new' color)
'Brewster Green'
In the blues, I like:

'Riviera Blau'
'Mexico Blau'
'Maritime Blau'
'Aetna Blau'
'Voodoo Blau'
'MeerBlau'
'Gulf Blau'
'Meissen Blau' (if approved)
'Club Blau' (PCA 60th Anniversary Coupe. A few shades off the original 1974 'Acid Blue'. Not yet available for PTS but perhaps soon)
In the grays I like:

'Fashion Grey/Modegrau'
'Stone Grey'
'Grey Black'
'Slate Grey'
In the yellows I like:

'Signal Yellow'
'Atakama Yellow' (BMW color)
'Speed Yellow'
In the oranges I like:

'Pastel Orange'
'Gulf Orange'
'Continental Orange' (not approved)
'RS Orange' (Discontinued)
'Signal Orange' (not yet requested...one of my favorites)
'Tangerine' (not approved...but 'Lava Orange' a few shades off!)
In the purple I like:

'Ultraviolet'
'Aubergine' (if approved)

In my opinion the most popular/attractive color that Porsche currently offers via PTS, and the safest 'investment' choice if you are cautious about choosing an expensive $5,500 option, is.....'Riviera Blue'!

You simply can't go wrong by ordering this color!

Least Favorite

The rest of the PTS approved colors...but in particular order:
all 'metallics' colors without exception...
'Mint Green'
'Pascha Red'
'Creme White'
'Golf Blue'
'Irish Green'
'Peru Red'
'Ruby Star'

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Miami Blue' is the new 'Special Color'...

Apparently a new 'Special Color' at Porsche. Initially scheduled for the 991 gt3 RS, but perhaps later it might be offered on the regular 991/981 models! Taken from PTS Reference thread:

Originally Posted by Z356
My sources in Europe are reporting to me via email. Supposedly the new Porsche 'Miami Blue' is closer to an older VW color called 'Taubenblau', which has been also called 'Dove Blue'. My source is telling me that the "best way to describe the colour would be blue with a lot of grey!"

Googles comes up with a few VW examples (VW color L31)... take your pick! At least it gives you an idea of the possible new color Porsche has in mind for us!

Also, on the question of these three additional colors for the 991 gt3 RS, Porsche will categorize 'Black', 'Racing Yellow' & 'Miami Blue' as 'Special Color' (Sonderfarben) and limit the cost of them to the normal US $3,140. So these are not going to be considered PTS nor will they be priced accordingly at US$5500!

Finally, our source reports that "the PTS building dates will go on into spring and to the end of production sheduled to April May 2016. At the moment Ultraviolet is only planed until November 2015 built."

I thank our European friend for that 'news flash'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great color! A little like aquamarine.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:29 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

As requested by Eduardo here is an update on my PTS/special wishes request.

As a preface, my fallback has been GT Silver with the historic/garnet red interior, I really love the color combo.

PTS as of yesterday is readily available, I think the first Spyder production for PTS is November but not 100% since an order has not been placed/accepted.

So first request was to have the interior paint trim on the historic/garnet interior made to match the exterior paint, for some reason Porsche decided the interior trim color would remain GT Silver irregardless of the exterior color. Special wishes will get it changed to match the exterior color for over $2K…seems a bit rich since ever other interior option the interior paint trim matches the exterior.

Second special wish was asking if the LWB, which are now available, could get seat heating…maybe not a big deal in some parts of the country but very nice in the Rockies…it would seem that since Porsche already has the the console buttons, wiring, fuse panel assignment and seat heating elements not a big stretch…a not offered response.

Third special wish was removing the Spyder logo in the seat (sport seat) and replacing with the embossed Porsche logo.Not a big deal since we know from PET that the upper bolster is a separate piece.
The response "Deleting the Spyder logo is also possible and I don't think an embossed crest would be an issue instead, but to delete the logo is $7,855 because you are basically replacing the seats as the stitching for the logo comes standard when it is put together initially - so to not have it they must recreate on a one off basis." Seems reasonable

Mulling over options, leaning towards the off the shelf GT Silver/Garnet Red combo and in any case no LWB for me, seat heating is just too nice to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!