Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Is there hope for 'Tangerine' / 'Blutorange' as a PTS color in the future?

Originally Posted by Z356
As an aside, there is some 'talk' over at the 991 gt3 forum that 'Tangerine' / 'Blutorange' is going to appear as a special color offering on the MY2015 991 gt3 RS. I'll post more on this interesting 'speculation' on this thread shortly.
Originally Posted by djcxxx
Well if true then perhaps I was turned down for reasons other than technical? Certainly if Porsche can do Pastel Orange (017) and Gulf Orange (019) as PTS why not Tangerine/Blutorange (018)?
Let me first frame the 'talk' of 'Blood Orange' in the 991 RS. A couple of months back, Reter (Trakcar) started talking about a rumor he heard of a 'burnt orange' color option on the upcoming MY2015 991 gt3 RS. I thought he was kidding and made some fun of it.

Post #169 at
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11515053

Then others at the 991 gt3 forum more recently started talking about rumors of 'Blood Orange' as a special color to be offered on the RS:

Originally Posted by Ronan
I heard the colors in the initial rollout would be:

-blood orange
-white
-metallic black
-silver

No decals..

Anyone heard anything different? Quite a conservative lineup.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Depends on what colors are offered.
All we know is burnt orange....
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
-blood orange --> told you so, but maybe to red for me
So I suggested the following theory. The David C. in the story below is Rennlister 'djcxxx' who is also posting above on this thread:

"Reter...so your 'burnt orange' has now morphed into 'Blood Orange'? Good, because that color has real possibilities to be seen on the 991 gt3 RS!

Blutorange / Tangerine: Here is an interesting side story on this color and PTS. I got an email over one year ago from a Rennlister (David C.) in Florida that requested assistance in helping him get Porsche to approve 'Blutorange' or 'Tangerine' as a PTS color. That beautiful color is a vintage & historic early 911 long-hood hue which had color code 018 back in its day! He mentioned to me that this 'Tangerine' color had been ordered by Brumos as a PTS in the 997/987 era. That is all we had to go on. I contacted someone I knew at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany & made inquiries. Sure enough, this bright fellow in Germany was able to find a sample color chip (attached photo #1) from the Brumos PTS and suggested that it be requested again so that it could be tested to determine its feasibility for PTS the 991/981. Just because it was used before for PTS (e.g. in past decade) does not mean the color would be automatically approved for the newer models...due to different paint formulations (PAG switched to DuPont) or other variables (new metals/plastics used).

David C. indeed tried to get PAG to approve that color for PTS via his dealer! It shows up on the 1/23/2014 PTS list. But it was 'rejected' (see photo #2). But all of the talk here re: rumors of 'Blood Orange' as one of the colors for the MY2015 gt3 RS leads me to think that the color was actually approved by PAG...but it's being reserved exclusively (at first) for the 991 gt3 RS!

We will soon know! Hopefully at Paris...or even before!"

If indeed 'Tangerine'/'Blutorange' color code 018 appears as a special color for the MY2015 gt3 RS, it will be only a question of time before it is allowed to be ordered as a PTS color on all custom 991/981 in a few years time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure you have heard but the 918 now has a stop sale. 6 key parts are defective. Porsche quality is just getting to be **** poor. Maybe they should get bought by GM or Toyota.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is new info or not, but from another thread here on PTS and the 981, it sounded like it might not be common knowledge... As of the end of the month PTS will be available on the Cayman GTS. I assume this also means Boxster, but honestly I was only asking about the Cayman. This info is from an e-mail exchange with Melissa in the Porsche Exclusive group. PTS will be available as of the end of this month and will likely mean a November or December allocation.

I apologize if this is repeat info!

-nh4.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Would anyone have pictures of:

Steingrau/ Stone Grey paint code Z67

Grauschwarz / Grey Black paint code 7A1
Old 08-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

@nh4 I too saw it on the configurator along with a $6200 interior combo package that I did not recall being previously listed for the Cayman GTS.

I have a December allocation and exchanged emails with the dealer asking them to confirm and the response I received was "what color are you thinking about?"
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM
nh4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
@nh4 I too saw it on the configurator along with a $6200 interior combo package that I did not recall being previously listed for the Cayman GTS.

I have a December allocation and exchanged emails with the dealer asking them to confirm and the response I received was "what color are you thinking about?"
If your lock date is coming up soon you may want to be proactive and shoot an e-mail off to the Exclusive group with your specific questions. Eduardo has posted the contact info in a few places but the e-mail is:

customerconsultations@porsche.us

In my talking with Melissa, and from posts here by other members that are in the process, I can tell you they are a pretty busy group so you won't want to wait until the last minute before your order locks.

Though I didn't ask about specific colors, I did ask about the a different dual-tone interior option and was told that there are limits to what is available for the GTS (and Cayman in general I think) because of where they are built... The factory isn't as set up for custom orders as the ones building 911 models. This is also consistent with what others have posted. Melissa did also mention that more stitching and interior options may become available in the coming months.

Overall I get a sense that the Cayman / Boxster side of the Porsche house is slowly but surely getting the customization options that big brother 911 has had for a while. As a current outsider, I welcome it, but I know when I'm in the ordering process I'll be paranoid that I'll miss out on something cool my mere hours after my build locks

-nh4.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am in contact with Melissa. I do have time on the lock date. The other item I was interested about were the standard Boxster Spyder sport seats which are available currently in ROW being available in the USA...not yet
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 PM
nh4
Instructor

I am in contact with Melissa. I do have time on the lock date. The other item I was interested about were the standard Boxster Spyder sport seats which are available currently in ROW being available in the USA...not yet
Please do post anything you hear on their availability as I, and many others, are certainly interested! There is a thread somewhere on here about it. From what i remember it sounds like Porsche in a position no one wants to be in -- waiting on the gov't for a response -- with regards to airbag safety as it relates to the ways the sports seat sits or how it can move around.

-nh4.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Greys....

Would anyone have pictures of:

Steingrau/ Stone Grey paint code Z67

Grauschwarz / Grey Black paint code 7A1
Photo #1 is 'Steingrau/Stone Grey', color code Z67

Photo #2 is 'Grauschwarz/Grey Black', color code 7A1

Photo #3 is 'Scheifergrau/Slate Grey', color code 615

Photo #4 is 'Silberstein/Silver Stone', color code Y97

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     

Last edited by Z356; 08-18-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Correct color code for 'Silver Stone' to Y97, not Y67!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Photo #1 is 'Steingrau/Stone Grey', color code Z67

Photo #2 is 'Grauschwarz/Grey Black', color code 7A1

Photo #3 is 'Scheifergrau/Slate Grey', color code 615

Photo #4 is 'Silberstein/Silver Stone', color code Y67

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

All the PTS colors you post Eduardo are so beautiful. Makes me want to buy one just to have the colors However, my Spyder is still keeping me plenty entertained - maybe i can pick up a GT3RS allocation when they become available. Whats the date on those? 2015?

...on second thought, I would have no idea how to truly drive and appreciate one of those cars. Way too much power for my skills.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nh4
Not sure if this is new info or not, but from another thread here on PTS and the 981, it sounded like it might not be common knowledge... As of the end of the month PTS will be available on the Cayman GTS. I assume this also means Boxster, but honestly I was only asking about the Cayman. This info is from an e-mail exchange with Melissa in the Porsche Exclusive group. PTS will be available as of the end of this month and will likely mean a November or December allocation.

I apologize if this is repeat info!

-nh4.
Starting with MY2015, the standard 981 Cayman models will be allowed to be ordered in PTS. Since 981 Cayman production started at Osnabrück, PAG had not offered PTS for that model. Now it will. That was the 'good news' earlier in the Spring of 2014 when we noticed that the 981 configurator was updated for MY2015 production & it offered PTS! Initially, PTS for the new 981 Cayman & Boxster GTS model was not available. Now, according to your information and also by looking at the configurator, PTS will also be allowed on that model! Previously, only 981 Boxsters built in Zuffenhausen could be ordered in PTS...and a few were. We have seen them here in this thread.

But now that PTS is allowed on the Cayman it doesn't mean that production of PTS cars will done on a daily or even monthly basis at Osnabrück! PAG still is doing PTS in sporadic batches. That also applies to the 991. In both cases, PCNA's 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US is telling PTS customers & dealers that their allocations for production must be November/December of 2014 for them to qualify for PTS this calendar year. So apparently, no PTS MY2015 Caymans, Boxsters & 991 have been scheduled for production in June, July, August (minor since factory closes for vacation), September & October! I also expect another batch of PTS Porsches to be done in late winter/early Spring for later MY2015 models...just before the MY2016 models are introduced.

This batch system is the problem with PTS at the moment as it's being implemented by PAG. The batch-method creates stupid bottlenecks, allocation disruptions and unnecessary delays due to the way they have organized this otherwise fine program. Hope they streamline this operation soon!

On Sport Bucket Seats. I don't expect our old 'gt2-type' sport bucket seats to be ever offered again on a Porsche model in the US. And the new '918-type' sport bucket seat, if it gets approved for the 991, will be most likely an exclusive option on the MY2015 991 gt3 RS for at least this model year. The earliest I expect to see that seat on any other Porsche model, if indeed they get it approved by the US authorities at all, will be MY2016. So if you are set on waiting for these seats to order your Porsche, be prepared to sit tight -preferably on a Sport Seat Plus - for a while!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

@Eduardo

Thank you for the pictures of the Greys... I like the last one the best and with GTS interior package with the carmine red stitching and add the exterior package black and those same wheels I think that would be a nice Cayman GTS...
Old 08-08-2014, 08:02 PM
nh4
Instructor

That picture of "Silver Stone" is stunning. I've seen it posted a few times here, but I really have not had much luck finding other pictures of cars that purport to be that color that look anything like the car in that picture.

If I were on the spot and had to give a PTS color to live with for all time, right now it would be 'Fashion Grey' but if 'Silver Stone' really does look like that picture I might have a change of loyalties!

For Eduardo, and anyone else on the forums here, is that picture accurate for what 'silver stone' looks like in person? Anyone have any additional photos or in different lighting?

I just went to do another Google Images search to see if I could provide other links to examples of 'silver stone' but most either link back to one of the PTS threads here on RennList or they link to other threads where the picture above has been posted.

Desperately seeking grey-scale therapy!

-nh4.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:36 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eduardo, you D man! I think the stone gray cayman R is the one I was going to buy from Walters in riverside. Still wish I had, but it was too nice to flog around the track! Is that slate grey non-metallic? I could swear I saw slate grey non-metallic as a standard color for the boxster and cayman for 2014 or 15 at Livermore... Paint panels on the wall. Is silver stone non-metallic?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Rod Serling presents...

@Eduardo

Thank you for the pictures of the Greys... I like the last one the best and with GTS interior package with the carmine red stitching and add the exterior package black and those same wheels I think that would be a nice Cayman GTS...
I agree. That would be a great combo!

Originally Posted by nh4
For Eduardo, and anyone else on the forums here, is that picture accurate for what 'silver stone' looks like in person? Anyone have any additional photos or in different lighting
Have yet to see it in person...so I don't know for sure!

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Eduardo, you D man! I think the stone gray cayman R is the one I was going to buy from Walters in riverside. Still wish I had, but it was too nice to flog around the track! Is that slate grey non-metallic?...Is silver stone non-metallic?
All of the 'grey' colors I posted above are nonmetallic!

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
I could swear I saw slate grey non-metallic as a standard color for the boxster and cayman for 2014 or 15 at Livermore... Paint panels on the wall.
Are you sure you saw it at Livermore and not at the Porsche dealership in Roswell, New Mexico? Strange things do happen...but not yet 'Slate Grey Non-Metallic' as standard colors on either MY2014 or MY2015 Cayman/Boxsters!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!