Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: Before I discuss 'Deviating Stitching'

I have received many private messages & emails inquiring about 'Deviating Stitching'. I am hoping to get to that topic pretty soon. This is one of the areas where we, the Porsche consumer, are given the least amount of public information. It is not on any of Porsche market's Configurators worldwide, as far as I know. This lack of information is not entirely new. It wasn't readily available when I ordered my '12 Spyder either. During the many months that it took me to study all the options and to finalized my specs on that custom order, I got quite familiar with what deviating stitching could be ordered on the 997 and 987 by simply bombarding my dealer contacts and 'Porsche Exclusive' in Germany with questions!

So that is the base of information that I have to start out those discussions on this thread. However, that it is not enough to give a thorough review of the subject matter on the 991 & 981. 'Porsche Exclusive' is doing their 'deviating stitching' program slightly different in these new models. In the 997 and 987 for example, we could order any additional options that involved leather & stitching and be guaranteed that it would be done in the deviating stitching color by paying ONCE a fee which had a specific order code attached. You would be surprised at how many 997 interiors I have seen where some of the stitching on the interior (e.g. center console lid) did not match the rest! Neither the customer nor the ordering dealer realized that this 'catch-all' option was needed to achieved a coordinated deviating stitching in the interior! Similarly, even when this 'catch-all' code was ordered, many customers never were able to get the stitching on the steering wheel, shifter lever boot and emergency brake handle to match the rest of the deviated stitching in their interior! That is because you needed a separate order code to get those parts done (or it wasn't available at all in some cases). Rather than to take a chance of a mismatched interior, many potential customers gave up and never bother to order deviating stitching at all! In the 991/981 order guides, there is no 'catch-all' deviating stitching option so we need to know how this will be done in these new models (hint - deviating stitching for each leather option will be individually ordered with a different order code!).

Knowing all of this, I have asked in writing 'Porsche Exclusive' in the United States to address those and other questions I have on 'Deviating Stitching' for the 991 & 981. I have also asked what changes are coming which will allow options like XHS (center tunnel & console lid), XNS (steering column in leather), CZW (additional dash vents, speakers, ends) and others to be done in deviating stitching. At the present time, these options are NOT permitted to be done with any deviating stitching, apparently because they have supply bottlenecks and need to simplify production for their hard-pressed vendors. Similarly, I have asked when you might be able to order a different color thread (from the limited standard selection) in the case where you order a PTS exterior (e.g. Pastell Orange) and want to have a matching deviating stitching (e.g. orange) in the interior. So rather than give partial or erroneous information on this forum, I have been waiting patiently to hear back from Sascha Glaeser after he returns from vacation in Germany so that I get all of this 'right' before disseminating the information.

I leave you with one photo of 'deviating stitching' on the beautiful interior of BnB's 991 in Britain!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:02 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Another example ...

Name:  DSC09489.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  2.81 MB
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

What seats are those from?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
What seats are those from?
This is an interesting pair of seats as they were manufactured for the Ferrari 575M
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport Suspension now available on USA configurator

Eduardo:

A sport suspension option now appears under the performance tab of the US configurator. It appears this is the "sport chassis" option that Pistonheads reviewed.

Incidentally, your contribution regarding "exclusive" options possibilities is invaluable. Very much appreciated. What do you think of this color combination:

Exterior: White
Top: Blue
Interior: Full leather Pebble/Agate bicolor

As I understand it, this would be the only way to have the Agate leather dash with Pebble grey stitching?

BerryS

Originally Posted by Z356
Forum member 'sfo' in England has alerted us to a recent article just published at PistonHeads in Britain. I think this is a significant development because the key to our beloved 987 Spyder is both the lighter weight and the NON-PASM based 'sport chassis'. This new 981 option might be the closest (to date) we get to make the new 981S feel & handle like the acclaimed Spyder! To my knowledge, PCNA has not yet talked about this upcoming option. But I believe you should all know about its existence and make your 981 purchase decisions accordingly!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BerryS
A sport suspension option now appears under the performance tab of the US configurator. It appears this is the "sport chassis" option that Pistonheads reviewed.
Thanks BerryS for bringing it to our attention. That is great news and surprisingly it appears on BOTH the base 981 Boxster and Boxster S models. It is described as "Sport Suspension: Includes more stiffly tuned spring and damper units, adapted anti-roll bars, and a reduced ride height of 0.79 inches (20 mm)" and costs only $1235 for both models!

Note it is described as a 'Porsche Exclusive' option, which means it was developed by this group and not series production engineers. They are the same folks that brought us the 'PSE' on the Spyder and Cayman R which received high praises from all and continues today on the PSE offered on the 981! However this exhaust was copied by series production engineers on the 991 and there they give no credit (or revenue) to 'Porsche Exclusive' for its development. As an aside, I have heard that is somewhat resented by the folks at PE.

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS I will respond to your question on your 981 specs next!
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 03:54 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

strange that Sports Suspension not on UK configurator

are 20" wheels required for Sports Suspension?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sfo
strange that Sports Suspension not on UK configurator

are 20" wheels required for Sports Suspension?
No, the US Configurator is allowing even a base 981 with 18" wheels to be ordered with the optional 'Sport Suspension'. See below.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BerryS
What do you think of this color combination:

Exterior: White
Top: Blue
Interior: Full leather Pebble/Agate bicolor

As I understand it, this would be the only way to have the Agate leather dash with Pebble grey stitching?

BerryS
BerryS:

Technically, that is NOT the only way you can get an 'Agate Grey' leather dash with 'Pebble Grey' stitching! Deviating stitching is available on the 981 in these colors, including 'Pebble Grey':

Black
Platinum Grey
Yachting Blue
Luxor Beige
Espresso
Pebble Grey
Carrera Red
Agate Grey
Guards Red
Lime Gold

So you could order an 'Agate Grey' full leather interior on your 981 and request deviating stitching in 'Pebble Grey' for the dash, other leather panels and seats! But price wise, you can't beat the deal PAG offers you when you order the 'Agate/Pebble Grey' Bi-Color combination as you see it on the Configurator! I think that combination is very attractive if you can live with an almost pure white lower part of cabin! Suggest you consider deviating color carpeting in 'Agate Grey' in combination with this Bi-Color. The 'Blue' top will not match anything in your order. Personal preference of course, but have you considered either 'Brown' or 'Black'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default US configurator just added Option CZW 'Dashboard Trim in Leather' for the 981!

PAG has just added an option package that allows the current plastic bits on the 981's dash to be covered in leather. It follows a similarly named option on the 991 which does approx. the same thing on that model but costs a little bit more. We talked briefly about the lack of this option on the configurator just recently! Well, here it is!

In the 981, it's called 'Additional Interior Package, dashboard trim in leather' and is option # CZW for $1,535. This is a very nice option. I had the 987 version of it (XV1) which only cost me $535 although it didn't include as many plastic bits covered in leather on this CZW option. Even with the elevated cost, I strongly recommend this option on a 981's if you are interested in finishing nicely your full leather interior! We now have to wait for actual photographs of how this option is executed by Porsche on a 981!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 PM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eduardo:

My 986 was Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey Top/Graphite Grey Interior. My current 987S is Arctic Silver/Stone Grey Top/Stone Grey Interior. Although some kind might consider the combination boring, I prefer its understated elegance.

However, Porsche no longer offers a grey top for the 981. In addition, I can't deny the appeal of an Arctic Silver/Metropol Blue Top 986 I saw many years ago. The conundrum I have is that the black top is so pedestrian, while I'm not sure the brown top would match with the Pebble Grey/Agate interior?

BerryS

BerryS
The 'Blue' top will not match anything in your order. Personal preference of course, but have you considered either 'Brown' or 'Black'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default A warning on customized Bi-Color interiors!

I would caution all to wait until 'Porsche Exclusive' announces that it has put in place it's 'coordinated' Bi-Color customizing program before anyone orders a 'Black/Carrera Red' 981 interior (or 'Black/Luxor Beige', etc). I went into some detail in my recent post ('Part 7' above) as for the reasons why. Basically, the current ordering system will allow you to do a deviating leather color on the dash but will NOT coordinate the plastic parts to match the new hue you have introduced!

Here is a current example of a spec 2013 991 that should have waited for the NEW program to be implemented (which will match color of plastic to the adjacent color of the leather) BEFORE ordering this customized 'Bi-Color', or 'Two Tone', interior! The plastic parts on the dash are done in 'RED' and the dash leather is done in 'BLACK'. I know Hennessy from personal experiences and they have a very good reputation. Yet this particular order is clearly not optimal although their intentions were 'noble'.

http://hennessy.porschedealer.com/ne...41480/info.php

In theory, this problem could have been remedied if Hennessy would have ordered Option CZW in 'Black' leather. Then all the plastic parts you see in photo below would have been covered in 'black' leather which would have matched the dash. That option costs $1710 in the 991 ($1535 in the 981) and would have been a perfect solution! But they failed to take advantage of that too!

As I have tried to explain from day one on this thread, please be careful when you order a 'custom' 991 or 981. Don't rely on just what you casually hear at your dealership when ordering. Do your homework. Read the forums. Ask the hard questions from 'Porsche Exclusive' and make sure you understand all aspects of what you are ordering before you sign on the dotted line. And above all, 'Caveat Emptor'. That is the best piece of advice I can give you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Hyannis, MA!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 09-09-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

I would caution all to wait until 'Porsche Exclusive' announces that it has put in place it's 'coordinated' Bi-Color customizing program before anyone orders a 'Black/Carrera Red' 981 interior (or 'Black/Luxor Beige', etc). I went into some detail in my recent post ('Part 7' above) as for the reasons why. Basically, the current ordering system will allow you to do a deviating leather color on the dash but will NOT coordinate the plastic parts to match the new hue you have introduced!

Here is a current example of a spec 2013 991 that should have waited for the NEW program to be implemented (which will match color of plastic to the adjacent color of the leather) BEFORE ordering this customized 'Bi-Color', or 'Two Tone', interior! The plastic parts on the dash are done in 'RED' and the dash leather is done in 'BLACK'. I know Hennessy from personal experiences and they have a very good reputation. Yet this particular order is clearly not optimal although their intentions were 'noble'.

http://hennessy.porschedealer.com/ne...41480/info.php

In theory, this problem could have been remedied if Hennessy would have ordered Option CZW in 'Black' leather. Then all the plastic parts you see in photo below would have been covered in 'black' leather which would have matched the dash. That option costs $1710 in the 991 ($1535 in the 981) and would have been a perfect solution! But they failed to take advantage of that too!

As I have tried to explain from day one on this thread, please be careful when you order a 'custom' 991 or 981. Don't rely on just what you casually hear at your dealership when ordering. Do your homework. Read the forums. Ask the hard questions from 'Porsche Exclusive' and make sure you understand all aspects of what you are ordering before you sign on the dotted line. And above all, 'Caveat Emptor'. That is the best piece of advice I can give you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Hyannis, MA!
That's an unmitigated disaster, shame on PE for letting that slide - unless that's what the customer wanted - doubt it.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Sapphire Blue Metallic

For those wondering how the new 'Sapphire Blue Metallic' (new color replacing 'Aqua Blue Metallic' in the standard line-up!) looks, here are the first photos I have seen of it! Comes from a European site called Auto Gestop and was found by Macca over in the 991 gt3 forum. Much lighter than 'Aqua' and less 'purple' than the older (and quite popular) Cobalt Blue Metallic (last photo)!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deviated stitching pics?

Hello All,

Getting close to finalizing an order and I am considering black full leather with deviated stitching in platinum gray. Other than the pic in post 46, any other photos out there of full or nearly full deviated stitching on 981/991 interiors?

Best,

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!