Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default PTS Porsches spotted so far on my trip in Germany...

A few of the Paint to Sample Porsches I have seen so far on my European trip during the past 10 days...

'Rubystone Red' (reportedly)

'Signal Yellow' 114

'Lichtgrün' 253

'Grigiocampovolo' Y99

'Viper Green' 225

Saludos,
Eduardo
Düsseldorf

For further info on my visit to Porsche & Germany, see post # 135 at

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-2015-a-9.html

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Nice score Eduardo! That is the scenario I expected... Y97 lighter. Would love to see them both in the shot with grey-black too! Thanks for the recon.
Ian: It's a team effort. Rennlister 'Blu RS' was the one that passed me the information he got from Melissa Witek at 'Porsche Exclusive' in Atlanta!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'...and the new 'Graphit Blau Metallic'!

Re-post of something I wrote today at my other thread on the visit to Porsche & Germany:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...2015-a-11.html

What a great investigative team we have at Rennlist! First we have Daniel finding out about a Cayenne in Germany that one of the websites has listed as 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'.

I was skeptical...then Alex chimes in that he has seen a Panamera GTS at Leipzig. And when he asked about it, he was told it was indeed 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'!

Originally Posted by m4ever
Hi Eduardo
thank you for the great educational activity on PTS .
I have personally seen Magic Bamboo metallic during a visit in Leipzig in October 14' . We had hot laps with a Panamera GTS and this car was painted in this exact color (I know this because I had specifically asked to check the color name - as I am also a fan of PTS) . It is indeed very similar to the Cayenne posted above . It looks great in real (I am a fan of green colors on Porsche though). I will try to find out the pictures of this Panamera and post them.
Regards
Alex
Well, if that is indeed the case, then below are the photos of that 'Magic Bamboo Metallic' Panamera GTS which I took a few hours ago on my visit to Porsche Leipzig!

Your Rennlist PTS reporter is on the job! And to think some don't think they are getting their money's worth for their Rennlist membership!

I got to Porsche Leipzig two hours ahead of my scheduled noon 'Carrera Lunch mit factory tour'. And the idea was to see what little diamond could be discovered in the rough (if I could be that lucky). Of all the Porsches in & around the Customer Center building (which, incidentally, is referred as the 'Diamond' by Porsche & as the 'UFO' by German locals), three vehicles immediately stood out to me because of their unusual color! And this 'green' Panamera was one of them! I found the GTS in an area which is not accessible to the public - in the back of the Customer Center!

I will check with my contacts at 'Porsche Leipzig' to see what they have to say about this 'Bamboo Magic Metallic' GTS. But I don't expect it will be anything more than what I am about to tell you regarding a new color that I spotted on two vehicles at Leipzig today.

Below are photos of my other 'color' find at Leipzig today. It's an experimental color that was observed on two vehicles at this facility - a 981 Boxster and a Panamera. The color was a shade of steel blue/grey. And initially I thought it was PTS. I inquired about it to a marketing executive working at Leipzig that knew of my visit & greeted me when I arrived to check in for my scheduled program. He did some research on the subject and later met me at the dinning hall where our luncheon was taking place with the details on the unusual color. It's called 'Graphit Blau Metallic'. And it's a hue that Porsche designers are seriously considering adding to the color palette in the near future. He explained to me that the Customer Center is often given vehicle(s) in a color being considered as regular 'offering' to test how the paint will handle wear & tear from the constant test rides in all sorts of weather at the facility!

The vehicle in 'Graphit Blau Metallic' that was most accessible to be photographed was a 981 Boxster. Here are the photos, first from the distance, and then unclosed after they allow me to go into the 'grid' and get a close up!

Now, a word of caution. We recently heard that 'Miami Blue' (a solid/uni hue) has been approved as a choice for those that have a confirmed PTS allocation for their 991 RS. 'Graphit Blau Metallic' does have a resemblance to the new 'Miami Blue', although it's a metallic (which doesn't quite look like it due to the almost absence of visible 'flakes'). So it could be that this 'Graphit Blau' was a contender that didn't win the right to be included in the Porsche color palette. We will know soon enough if this 'Graphite Blau Metallic', in addition to 'Magic Bamboo Metallic' become new offerings for Porsche models (991/981/Panamera or Macan) in the near future! But all in all, this was one of the most productive days I have had reporting on PTS on this visit to Porsche in Europe!

I'll be posting more about my visit to Leipzig as time permits me to do so.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Berlin (on my last night in Germany)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:51 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,595 Likes on 878 Posts

Old 08-01-2015, 02:00 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

viper?

or

yellow green?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not viper I don't think. Gelbgrun (yellow green)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JSF101
viper?

or

yellow green?
Not viper I don't think. Gelbgrun (yellow green)
Steve & Ian:

Camera lenses capture reflective light in many ways. There is a lot of 'saturation' in that green color given the way the photographer has selected to post that photo. But regardless, this Boxster certainly looks to me more like in the 'Viper Green' camp than in 'Gelbgrün' territory!

Using his Canon EOS 1200 D camera, he could easily make 'Viper', or even 'Signal Green' & 'RS Green', look like that.

But it doesn't look like 'Gelbgrün' to my eyes. That color would look more like this:

My dos centavos from the fabulous Costa Smeralda in Sardinia:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...2015-a-12.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Porto Cervo, Sardinia
Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Gelbgrün'...

We have a confirmed sighting of a PTS 'Gelbgrün' 991 GTS in Germany. The color is absolutely stunning...in my opinion.

For more photos & info, see link below re: a post #866 by '694':

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-58.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Leaving Corsica on our way back to Sardinia
Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that ^ is a beautiful green.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW: Grigio campovolo is a fiat/abarth light grey. I researched nearly every color on the list! I locked today on Y97! Thank you Eduardo for being my PTS therapist! Note: slate grey did not offer 2 versions in the configuration, so we had to add a "note" stipulating Y97.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default There goes the neighborhood . . . . LOL

My Spyder order for Y97 slate grey locked several weeks back. Looks like NorCal is going to be blessed with having a couple of us (if not more) with PTS slate grey. Oh, and mine is ordered without the headlight washer nipples so there is at least that visual difference! Black wheels, carbon brakes, LWB, silver deviated thread, etc. Hope that Schmidt's is not too much of a "copy cat".

Last edited by Blu RS; 08-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I locked today on Y97! Thank you Eduardo for being my PTS therapist! Note: slate grey did not offer 2 versions in the configuration, so we had to add a "note" stipulating Y97.
Originally Posted by Blu RS
My Spyder order for Y97 slate grey locked several weeks back. Looks like NorCal is going to be blessed with having a couple of us (if not more) with PTS slate grey.
Congratulations to both of you on the Y97 'Slate Grey' selection.

Ian: Glad we were able to talk yesterday about your PTS selection.
Sorry I couldn't be persuasive enough to talk you into 'Birch Green'
for your 981 Spyder! But I understand that you want to be more
stealth with this particular color on this additional sport car acquisition.

I will not be able to join you tonight for dinner with the BMW Z8
'boys'. Please give them my best & tell them I hope to see them
soon on another occasion!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Default the stealth spirit of McQueen lives on . . . .

Many thanks Eduardo for your assistance and support in innumerable Rennslist threads which helped me narrow down from dozens of color choices within a PTS "system" that is far from transparent and yet remarkably inconvenient! In the end, I too preferred a darker color that provided a bit of stealth while driving "with vigor" and slate grey Y97 should do the trick.

But in all fairness, perhaps I owe some of my decision criteria to Steve McQueen's slate grey turbo that just sold for $1.95 million at the recent Mecum auction. Given that McQueen even had a brake light disconnect switch installed on the car to be evasive, it should be no leap of faith to understand that his choice of color was meant to enable evasion as well. So hey, if it was cool enough for McQueen, then the color is certainly cool enough for me.

Now to be perfectly fair, and having seen that car up close and personal last Wednesday at McCall's event, that old slate grey and the new Y97 will not be perfectly matched, but I do hope and expect it will be close enough. And even if not, it's a fun story to attribute my color choice to McQueen for whom I was always a big fan anyway.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Blu RS
Many thanks Eduardo for your assistance and support in innumerable Rennslist threads which helped me narrow down from dozens of color choices within a PTS "system" that is far from transparent and yet remarkably inconvenient! In the end, I too preferred a darker color that provided a bit of stealth while driving "with vigor" and slate grey Y97 should do the trick.

But in all fairness, perhaps I owe some of my decision criteria to the recent Mecum auction of Steve McQueen's slate grey turbo that just sold for $1.95 million. Given that McQueen even had a brake light disconnect switch installed on the car to be evasive, it should be no leap of faith to understand that his choice of color was meant to enable evasion as well. So hey, if it was cool enough for McQueen, then the color is certainly cool enough for me.

Now to be perfectly fair, and having seen that car up close and personal last Wednesday at McCall's event, that old slate grey and the new Y97 will not be perfectly matched, but I do hope and expect it will be close enough. And even if not, it's a fun story to attribute my color choice to McQueen for whom I was always a big fan anyway.
Blu RS: Thanks for the note. As long as you understand that according to 'Porsche Exclusive' the 'Slate Grey' 615, not 'Slate Grey' Y97, is the historic / vintage 'Slate Grey' color that was Steve McQueen's 911S and perhaps even that Turbo, you are in fine shape. Quite frankly that photo provided by 'Porsche Exclusive' (which I posted) was a surprise to me. I was expecting the opposite - color code 615 to be lighter than Y97!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Default with a nod to heritage as we move forward . . .

Eduardo,
No real confusion here with me on the heritage of slate grey in Porsche's paint archives even though currently calling two significantly different shades of grey the same name can be expected to breed confusion. In any case, I just personally prefer the lighter shade currently offered. And oddly enough, as you suggest yourself, it looks like Y97 comes closer to the actual color on the McQueen cars anyway. So the final irony may be that it's not the same pure grey color (or the same chemical formulation even) that was sprayed on McQueen's cars "back in the day" but there's no dispute the lighter Y97 is a strongly attractive color which bears more than a passing resemblance to the slate grey color that appears on his cars today.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Changing subject slightly, from PTS colors...

Does anyone know the possibilities for Exclusive to add contrasting/deviating stitching to a Cayman GTS interior? As I wrote in a separate thread I had chosen the GTS Interior package, mostly because of the deviating stitching. The CF trim included in the package I can have or loose...

But I recently realised (and got confirmed here on the forum) that the GTS Interior package is Alcantara interior only whereas I wanted to delete Alcantara all together and go full leather.

If so, whereabouts will I end up paying for deviating stitching on:

- seats
- dash
- doors

(i.e replicating the GTS Interior Package)

I know - my dealer can probably help me. But, I am awaiting confirmation of my order (pending N/A 6-cyl engine) and until then I don't want to bother them with all my questions but I do want to be as prepared as possible for finalizing the spec. Also - I assume that the forum with its members contains a lot more information than one single sales person at my dealer

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!