Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I would post on here... even if it's about a 991 GT3 order..

I have been trying to decide what PTS colour to go for on my Oct order.. I love the standard white, really do... but there's just so many GT3s out there in white.. and with the PTS window open.. I wanted to make it unique. Bottom line (as per other GT3 thread) I am down to Voodoo Blue and Signal Yellow. I like Mexico but think might be too much after a short while, and Maritime has too much purple in it for me. Nogaro Blue was rejected.

Re the stitching to tie with the conversation here above.. on the GT3 they categorically refuse to consider anything other than platinum or guards red. I even thought about getting the stitching "changed" by a trimmer post-delivery.. but that might be a tricky thing to do.. especially with the GT3 embroided on the headrest..

So if I go Voodoo Blue.. either I go safe with Platinum Stitching and lose the sportiness... but can think about having it changed/died later on by professional trimmer... or I go all in and have RED stitching as a contrast.. and get the PCCB brakes repainted in RED
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the blue with red stitching, belts, brakes etc. would look amazing. Might even look cool with signal yellow too!
Old 07-02-2014, 11:42 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rosino
Thought I would post on here... even if it's about a 991 GT3 order..

I have been trying to decide what PTS colour to go for on my Oct order.. I love the standard white, really do... but there's just so many GT3s out there in white.. and with the PTS window open.. I wanted to make it unique. Bottom line (as per other GT3 thread) I am down to Voodoo Blue and Signal Yellow. I like Mexico but think might be too much after a short while, and Maritime has too much purple in it for me. Nogaro Blue was rejected.

Re the stitching to tie with the conversation here above.. on the GT3 they categorically refuse to consider anything other than platinum or guards red. I even thought about getting the stitching "changed" by a trimmer post-delivery.. but that might be a tricky thing to do.. especially with the GT3 embroided on the headrest..

So if I go Voodoo Blue.. either I go safe with Platinum Stitching and lose the sportiness... but can think about having it changed/died later on by professional trimmer... or I go all in and have RED stitching as a contrast.. and get the PCCB brakes repainted in RED
I vote for voodoo blue with red stitching.

BTW, I hope you realize that PCCBs are very expensive "bling" items. Don't make sense for the track (too expen$ive to replace; race/track pads stop better) and pointless for the street (when/how/why will the 99.9% of us ever come close to the limit on the street??). The great illusion of the past decade.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the PCCBs...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

It seems that the 'Porsche Exclusive' initially had an issue with the supplier of the door trim and was not able to get just that piece painted in a PTS color. It might be the supplier didn't have then the capability to paint in PTS colors, just in the standard ones! That is perhaps why the 'Birch Green' Carrera S Cabriolet didn't get the trim on its door painted 'Birch Green'. However, note that everything else that makes up EER was correctly painted in the PTS color on that vehicle. We saw that problem too (partial EER) with the first 981 Boxsters in PTS 'Riviera' and 'Mexico' that were reported in this forum! For example, Rahal's 'Riviera Blue' (photo 3 & 4) and slc's 'Mexico Blue' (photo 5) Boxsters.

However, PCNA's West Coast 'Porsche Exclusive' demo ordered by Sascha Glaeser (the 'Viper Green' 911 Turbo S Cab) comes with full EER in a PTS color. As you can see, the door trim is painted 'Viper Green'. So we know full EER can be presently done via 'Porsche Exclusive'.

Moral of this story: Do not assume everything you see in the Configurator is 'correct'. We know that sometimes the configurator is not the last word on what can, or can not, be done. Always check first with the representatives of 'Porsche Exclusive' to see if an option that you want in your custom order can be done, regardless what you see in the PCNA's configurator!

Finally, a personal note. I find the trim of the 991/981 models too wide to handle gracefully the exterior colors, especially 'bright/loud' hues. In contrast, the 997/987 interior trim was the perfect width for adding color to your interior tastefully! In contrast, I remain a big fan of 'vent slats painted', especially in a 991. That is just a very attractive, albeit expensive, option (last photo #6) which adds the exterior color to your cabin but in a very elegant & subtle way! My dos centavos for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I traded my (delayed) C4S June/July build for a September PTS allocation recently. I have ordered center console trim painted exterior color and have not yet been told "no". I agree with Eduardo that the interior package trim is too wide, so I'm doing that in leather. I left it untreated on my 981 and found it distracting.
Any word on the updated PTS list, Eduardo? We are 99.999% set on Brewster Green/Espresso-Cognac, but I would like to see if they are painting any new colors I haven't considered before this order freezes.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 PM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I vote for voodoo blue with red stitching.

BTW, I hope you realize that PCCBs are very expensive "bling" items. Don't make sense for the track (too expen$ive to replace; race/track pads stop better) and pointless for the street (when/how/why will the 99.9% of us ever come close to the limit on the street??). The great illusion of the past decade.
I have been debating this one for a while.. on the one hand I agree that intensive use on track would be ruinous and probably pointless.. I would be doing very limited track days with this car though. Maybe a few fast tracks per year (Spa and Silverstone), so not overly concerned about wear.

The technical aspect I would like to have is the lightness... and everybody is raving so much about the PCCB on the 991 GT3 that I think I would regret not fitting them everytime I walked to the car just wondering "what if.."

Here in the UK I haven't read a single review of non-PCCB GT3 btw.. all cars reviewed have been with them. Users report very good brakes even with steels though, as usual with Porsche.

PCCB is the eternal debate What I am happy is that bright blue and red stitching seem to get the nod
Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Blue and Red ... it is the color combo of choice ...
Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Blue and Red ... it is the color combo of choice ...
Red and Blue...that sounds like a winning combination, don't you think Vetman? Better than 'Crimson', stronger than Bulldog 'Blue' and superior to 'Black & Orange'!

Originally Posted by Keadog
Any word on the updated PTS list, Eduardo? We are 99.999% set on Brewster Green/Espresso-Cognac, but I would like to see if they are painting any new colors I haven't considered before this order freezes. Thanks!
I have sent an additional email to Melissa Witek and Matthew Henry in the past few days urging them both to get me the new, updated PTS list! But nothing yet. I also emailed two dealers that I work closely with - Porsche of Colorado Springs and Porsche of Monterey. Both responded that they have only the same 1/23/2014 PTS list that we already posted in this forum! But as soon as I receive it, you'll be the first to know! I doubt you'll be talked out of 'Brewster/Espresso Cognac'. That will be hard to beat!

Originally Posted by JSF101
Eduardo, Good moral to the story!...Clearly shows it can be done, should be allowed on the configurator...And you know I'm not a big fan of loud colors like yellow! I'm looking for a subtle contrast.
Me & you both...

But it would be nice (after all of the education that you have provided to members on this forum), if the Porsche configurator would more closely resemble reality.
We hear you...but does PCNA!

Still sad that we missed the thousands of miles on the trip to visit your beautiful home!
We missed not seeing you & Sherry here! But your buddy f4plt was literally the 'Jack of All Trades' at the Monterey Parade! No wonder he is the 'Enthusiast of the Year' at PCA!

I am tempted by the wail of the PTS siren, gotta be a new Cayman (perhaps Viper Green?)!
Color me 'jealous'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Red and Blue...that sounds like a winning combination, don't you think Vetman? Better than 'Crimson', stronger than Bulldog 'Blue' and superior to 'Black & Orange'!
I have no idea what Eduardo is talking about but all I know is that he speaketh the truth!!! Better than "blue and red"!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I have sent an additional email to Melissa Witek and Matthew Henry in the past few days urging them both to get me the new, updated PTS list! But nothing yet. I also emailed two dealers that I work closely with - Porsche of Colorado Springs and Porsche of Monterey. Both responded that they have only the same 1/23/2014 PTS list that we already posted in this forum! But as soon as I receive it, you'll be the first to know! I doubt you'll be talked out of 'Brewster/Espresso Cognac'. That will be hard to beat!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks, Eduardo! I think Brewster will be very attractive but subtle enough for the Midwest. I'm not bold enough to do a Viper or Voodoo; I wish I were. My wife says "maybe if we lived somewhere sunny, but not here."
I would be conflicted if Pastel Yellow showed up, though. I still regret selling that 993...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Keadog
Thanks, Eduardo! I think Brewster will be very attractive but subtle enough for the Midwest. I'm not bold enough to do a Viper or Voodoo; I wish I were. My wife says "maybe if we lived somewhere sunny, but not here."
I would be conflicted if Pastel Yellow showed up, though. I still regret selling that 993...
I doubt 'Pastel Yellow' will show up. So you are safe. The good news about 'Brewster' is that it has the caché of the Limited Edition '911 Club Coupe'...but you'll have an even nicer two tone leather interior! Here is a photo I took last year during my factory visit of the interior of the one kept by Porsche for their museum collection! In my opinion, 'Espresso/Cognac' will beat that more somber (but still elegant) 'Espresso' only interior!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Danus ex
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So tell us: If you ordered the GTS Interior Package with Carmine Red deviating stitching, do they charge you extra for deviating stitching in the same color for options such as 'steering column casing in leather'?

Give us at the Rennlist forum more information on how the ordering process went and what you ended up with in the end, etc. Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I just made a spreadsheet with my build details and sent it to the Porsche Exclusive customer service email address along with my questions. Matthew Henry was able to address options "Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather/Alcantara® (CLP)", and "Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather (CZQ)". Apparently, C-prefix options feature a comment box where the sales associate specifies color. In this case, CLP has no extra stitching, but CZQ's comment should read "Black leather, Carmine Red stitching". No additional charge here.

Options "Steering Column Casing in Leather (XNS)" and "Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather (XWK)" required Matt to contact the factory. Porsche Germany stated that in both cases, the stitching will come in Carmine Red without comment or additional charge.

In the end, everything worked out perfectly: everything I want to have red stitching will have it, no additional fees, PCNA was quick and thorough, and my sales associate had zero issues and gave me the discount I asked for. This couldn't have gone better. Now, the wait...
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Latest PTS List from PCNA (as of July, 2014)

Matthew Henry of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US has been kind enough to provide us with this latest list of PTS from PAG. The list has a new feature in that it identifies 'new' colors on the list - although that doesn't mean these colors were approved!

The PTS window is currently open for orders on MY2015 models.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS I have also attached the January 23, 2014 PTS list so that you can see the changes from that date to the present!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PTS List.pdf (121.2 KB, 246 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Adding posts from other PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive' related threads from our Forums!

Since I think of this tread as reference material for others to get ideas or get basic questions answered on PTS and 'Porsche Exclusive' options, I am going to add here duplicates of other posts that I have used to answer related 'Porsche Exclusive' issues in other threads. It will add to body of work we are doing here to make sense of what PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive' can provide Porsche customers trying to customized their special orders!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Originally Posted by G55amg
Eduardo

In your opinion what are the top 5 PTS desirable colors?
Thank you
JV
Originally Posted by CAlexio
I also would like his opinion on this...
Desirable approved PTS colors in market (my guess):

1) Riviera Blue

2) Mexico Blue

3) Pastel Orange

4) Gulf Blue

5) Viper or RS Green

Desirable approved PTS Colors from my own personal perspective:

1) Viper (closest today to W25 'Signal Green' in my opinion)

2) Signal Green 22S

3) Signal Yellow

4) Riviera Blue

5) Lichtgrün / Light Green / Birch Green

6) Gulf Orange

7) Etna Blue

8) Maritime Blue

9) Fashion Grey

10) Voodoo Blue

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Three different types of 'Painted Wheels' are available!

Originally Posted by G55amg
Eduardo
Can Porsche do wheels in deviated color? Like doing gloss black with brushed lip?
Regular 991 Models:
They CAN on the regular 991 models - both in gloss black & matching your exterior color. Both only come with visible brushed lip in metal. (see photos 1 & 2).

991 gt3 Model:
The standard wheels are done in 'Platinum Satin' (photo #3). They do NOT offer any deviating color wheels on the gt3 OTHER than High Gloss 'Black' or 'Silver'. None of the gt3 wheels can be ordered with brushed lip in metal. In the tradition of the gt3 series, at least going back to the 997 gt3 RS versions, their distinguishing characteristic has been that if painted, there was never a brushed lip in metal associated with it! So for the 991 gt3, Porsche has apparently gone back to this 'rule'. (see photo # 4)

Originally Posted by <3mph
I think they can do this as part of Exclusive. This (attaches photo which is #5 of a 'Birch Green' 991) was at Zuffenhausen.
This option shown in the photo is different...and a lot more exensive! It is wheels painted in a deviating color (in the <3mph photo it's 'Black') and the rim done in a color matching the exterior paint! But the center can also be done in other deviating color (photo #6). The back of the rim is also painted, which is not the case in the standard XDA option that only cost $1635. In the latter, only the front part of wheel is painted 'Black' or exterior color- the interior portion of the wheel is left in a 'primer-looking' grey which makes it a pain to keep 'clean'! (see photo #7).

This option shown in photo #5 by <3mph is not included in the US configurator - but it's available. But you might not appreciate its high cost but it can be ordered (photos #8 & #9). Can you see the difference in the treatment of the interior/back of the wheel between photo #7 and the more expensive #8 & #9?

I believe that this last option is only available on regular 991/981 models, not gt3's.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images          

Quick Reply: Custom Ordering a 981, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!