Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd stay away from forgestars. Stick with BBS, OZ, Rays, etc.

If anyone is interested, I have a used set of OZ Alleggerittas in gold for sale. Stock Cayman S sizes and offsets. 18x8F 18x9R.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Any other vendors besides tirerack that sell the OZ wheels? Frustrating that tire rack doesn't sell Nitto tires.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Any other vendors besides tirerack that sell the OZ wheels? Frustrating that tire rack doesn't sell Nitto tires.
I'm sure there are many other vendors that sell OZ. autopartswarehouse.com is one, for example. Google OZ wheels.

No Nittos on Tire Rack but you can google Nitto NT01 and find loads of info and vendors (prices vary). You can geek out (like me) and look up all kinds of info, try to mix-and-match, find sizes and fitment, etc.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I'm sure there are many other vendors that sell OZ. autopartswarehouse.com is one, for example. Google OZ wheels.

No Nittos on Tire Rack but you can google Nitto NT01 and find loads of info and vendors (prices vary). You can geek out (like me) and look up all kinds of info, try to mix-and-match, find sizes and fitment, etc.
I dunno, it looks like the only US distributor of OZ wheels is tire rack. If you look at OZ's website, tire rack is the only one listed in the US. I checked out autopartswarehouse and the price/pictures/menu look EXACTLY like tire rack. I'm going to go out on a limb and say tire rack is the only place to buy these wheels from. Anyone else is just sourcing from tire rack.

So the other disadvantage of the forgestar wheels are that in 18" you need to use a hubring (no bid deal, IMO), and you need to buy your own set of lug bolts because the ones they supply you with have been known to fail. The main thing that forgestar has going for it is the look. I much prefer the forgestars over the OZ Alleggerita HLT.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you look at Champions? I was pretty impressed with the RS98 and the RG5.
I'm pretty sure that the RG5 comes in 18s.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

thanks, steve. I just looked into it and sent champion motorsport an inquiry.

In general there are lots of nice wheel options out there. Unfortunately almost none of them come in 18"
Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alex is a dealer for Champion, too. He gave me a very reasonable quote on RS98s for the RS.

Wheelenhancement.com was also competitive.

If I remember correctly, Larry Cable on the GT3 forum had RG5s on his GT3.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm... looking at Volk TE37s now. I've always loved those wheels and it looks like they make them to fit our cars. Just don't know if I can justify the cost...
Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I told you Joe, in my email, I did bend a wheel first time out at TH with the forgestars (unless it happened some other way?). So yes they are light, and cheap, and look great.... just not too sure how strong? It drives totally fine, but I'll order a replacement and keep the other as a spare for when I bend the next one! Total failure would be my only real concern.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm... looking at Volk TE37s now. I've always loved those wheels and it looks like they make them to fit our cars. Just don't know if I can justify the cost...

i always wanted them as well. I think the bronze TE 37s would look so good on your spyder...... super strong and super light...... maybe they should be your road wheels...lol and use the spyder wheels for the track....
Old 07-28-2012, 01:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Well, with the failure reported by 4forme, Ian's bent wheel, and campionishop recommending that I not use the provided wheel bolts because they can break and are made in China, I've ditched the forgestar plan. Too bad because they were cheap and good looking. I love some of the wheels that OZ has, but the alleggerita doesn't quite do it for me. I haven't ruled it out, though. If only the ultraleggera and superforgiata came in 18".

I may go back to my JDM roots and take a hard look at some Volk TE37s. Not as expensive as HREs or ADVs, and they're forged/lightweight. Khooni, I think bronze would look awesome, IF my car didn't already have big yellow calipers and red accents. I'm worried that adding another color will throw everything off.

Hmmm....

Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Looking even more seriously at TE37 now. Stock spyder wheels are 19x8.5 +55 in the front, and 19x10 +42 in the rear. I plan on mounting 245/40-18 Front and 275/40-18 Rear Tires. Volk TE37s come with the following feasable options:

Front:
1) 18x9 +46 which is 15mm further out than stock
2) 18x8.5 +50 which is 5 mm further out than stock

Rear:
1) 18x10.5 +40 which is 8mm further out than stock
2) 18x10 +42 which is stock setting
3) 18x11 +40 which is 15mm further out than stock

Which do you guys think would work the best? I like the idea of the 18x9 +46 and 18x10.5 +40. My concerns are 1) rubbing, and 2) clearing the suspension and PCCB calipers. Anyone with any insight?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I just pulled the trigger on OZ Allegherita's with Hoosiers mounted. Tire rack can mount them with Toyo RA1's if desired which are about the same if not better than the Nitto's. I did a search on both google and Yahoo for OZ Allegherita failures and came up empty. For 1800 bucks and 19lbs and 23lbs for front and rears they seem like a no brainer. Assuming you like the style.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe - have you thought about the Forgeline GA3R's? Can custom order to your offset and color specs plus they are 3 piece so if you mangle a lip you can always have it rebuilt. I think black centers with a polished lip would look great on your car. Jeff at Pacific Western Performance has always taken excellent care of me and has unbeatable pricing. They will be cheaper then the Volks and are forged.

Well, with the failure reported by 4forme, Ian's bent wheel, and campionishop recommending that I not use the provided wheel bolts because they can break and are made in China, I've ditched the forgestar plan. Too bad because they were cheap and good looking. I love some of the wheels that OZ has, but the alleggerita doesn't quite do it for me. I haven't ruled it out, though. If only the ultraleggera and superforgiata came in 18".

I may go back to my JDM roots and take a hard look at some Volk TE37s. Not as expensive as HREs or ADVs, and they're forged/lightweight. Khooni, I think bronze would look awesome, IF my car didn't already have big yellow calipers and red accents. I'm worried that adding another color will throw everything off.

Hmmm....

Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Very tough to find RA1's in 18" sizes. If you do find them, you have to worry about production date, storage, etc., i.e. dry rot, cracking.

Quick Reply: 18" track wheel for my spyder: which one?