Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering a 987 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Nigel1789
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering a 987 Boxster S

Hi 987ers - I am posting here, having failed to get any help on 911uk, where the Boxster site is, to be frank, pretty dead!

Can I have my 987 Boxster S lowered? And, if so, what has to be done? I don't intend doing it myself, but I can't get any sense out of anybody on this side of the Atlantic.

I had my 911/993 Cabriolet lowered, and it looked great, but it was a pretty comlex job, and was done by a real expert.

Surely, it cannot be as simple as fitting lowering springs and having a re-alignment?? - or - can it??

Any knowledge, experience and advice will be very welcome - with best wishes, from an historically wet England, much, much worse eventhan the usual English 'summer' - Nigel, Gloucestershire.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I know that there are several spring kits available which will lower the car and may also be progressive (stiffer as they compress). I know the car will need an alignment but I'm not sure if anything else needs to be replaced.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello Nigel,

You can indeed get your Boxster S lowered and there are multiple options:

-Coil-overs ($$): you can adjust the ride height and stiffness.
-Eibach sport springs: progressive but no longer available.
-H&R sport springs: progressive and available.
-Other springs.

I have H&R springs and they're great. You'll need a re-alignment after installation. Important to note that the ride will be definitely stiffer after installation. Not harsh but noticeably stiffer, though I also have H&R sway bars. Rear springs are a pain to install from what I hear.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Also note that, depending on how much you lower the car you may also need adjustable rear toe links. I have a PSS9 kit on my car and set the ride height low enough that the rear toe could no longer be zeroed out with the factory links. You can skip this part if you don't track the car, but expect rear tire wear to become a problem.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

All depends on your budget, but I would lean towards a coilover kit (Bilstein, KWs) esp if your particular about the setup in terms of performance and looks. Was very happy when I had PSS9s on my 987.

Any drop greater than 1.75", you'll most likely need a rear toe link kit.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I was in a fellow instructors "05"987S box with PS9's at Mosport last year and it was amazing. Also another instructor in our region "RTR" has a 07 cayman S, very meticulously set up; more for track but struts can be adjusted soft for a very nice street firmness. The car is great. GT3 control arms, LS, rack cooler, trans cooler, coil overs ect. If your only on the street and not pushing too hard you should be OK with shorter springs, but Leh Keen did loop a stock car with short springs do to a unexpected mid corner dip. Granted he was moving faster than you most likely (or me) would be going, but it happened in a blink. Also if you have 19" and no pasm the short springs will be far to stiff.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are simply looking for a lowered look, replacing the springs with aftermarket ones will be just fine. I lowered my car with eibachs. I track my car 3 or 4 times a year (mostly @ Sebring), drive 1600 miles from S.FL to Blue Ridge and back once a year + 4 days of mountain driving and cruise around S. FL roads. The setup is fine after 20k miles. Would I have liked to replaced shocks also or go coil-over, sure... but my money was better spent else where.
Coilovers are good once you corner balance them and plan to drive the car mainly on the track.

Once lowered.. you will have to be extra careful about curbs (kerbs), speed bumps, steep transitions between road and driveway. g'luck.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Gpc1978
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nigel1789
Hi 987ers - I am posting here, having failed to get any help on 911uk, where the Boxster site is, to be frank, pretty dead!

Can I have my 987 Boxster S lowered? And, if so, what has to be done? I don't intend doing it myself, but I can't get any sense out of anybody on this side of the Atlantic.

I had my 911/993 Cabriolet lowered, and it looked great, but it was a pretty comlex job, and was done by a real expert.

Surely, it cannot be as simple as fitting lowering springs and having a re-alignment?? - or - can it??

Any knowledge, experience and advice will be very welcome - with best wishes, from an historically wet England, much, much worse eventhan the usual English 'summer' - Nigel, Gloucestershire.
It is that simple but is quite a complex job, you need time, patience, a good tool kit and a good impact gun is a must, I couldn't have done the job without it. I fitted a set of -25mm springs all round and it looks and drives sweet!!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I just had mine lowered with H&R springs at a local shop and added spacers to the front and rear. With the wheel alignment it drives incredibly well. It is slightly stiffer than the X71 suspension. Go for it!
Old 10-31-2015, 01:24 PM
Gpc1978
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I just had mine lowered with H&R springs at a local shop and added spacers to the front and rear. With the wheel alignment it drives incredibly well. It is slightly stiffer than the X71 suspension. Go for it!
I can hardly notice the difference in the comfort of the ride as it's only very slightly stiffer, but it drives far better now. 2005 with 95k on, worth noting that both rear springs had snapped low down, not noticeable til I dismantled the shocks. The looks are considerably better with a 25mm drop all round and 17mm rear spacers
Old 11-26-2015, 06:56 PM
FHE
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Zeus993
What spacers did you use?
Pics of the car lowered with the spacers?
Any rubbing issues because the spacers have pushed the wheels out?

Quick Reply: lowering a 987 Boxster S