Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy I ordered PSE

Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Happy I ordered PSE

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/bo...y/?gtabindex=3
Old 07-08-2012, 05:32 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds properly rumbly......

always a good purchase if you can afford the outlay
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

PSE is awesome. And no drone in the Boxster. When I ordered my car back in the summer of 2005 for a late March 2006 delivery, PSE was in the options order guide (about 65 total pages IIRC). I "checked" that box, and was very excited. A few days later, the dealership called and said that Porsche was not going to offer this yet for the 2005 or 2006 Boxster. This was about a $2,100 option back then.

Fast forward to Spring of 2007 and Porsche offered the PSE through their Tequipment program. I was the very first person in the USA to order the parts from Sunset Porsche, and had the system installed by Motor Werks Porsche in Barrington.

My first trip with the PSE was the Tail Of The Dragon 2 weeks later.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:37 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know why anyone would not order this option! I skipped a May allocation @ my dealer due to PSE non-availability! My salesman asked me if it was a deal killer and I said "Hell yes it's a deal killer!" No offense to standard exhaust, but the car just isn't complete w/ out PSE!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Is it just me or does the Boxster have a superior sound to the Boxster S? The Boxster has an excellent exhaust sound whereas the S certainly requires PSE. The only negative however is that $3K is a lot of money to spend on just improving the exhaust sound without any performance improvement.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jwade
I don't know why anyone would not order this option!
I hear ya, but some of us want to go aftermarket for a more aggressive sound, slight hp gain, or to lose weight (PSE is still heavy).
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

When mine comes in, I will post up some sound clips. Vetman, Why do you think the PSE is heavy on the 981?

It will take the AM a while to come up to speed on this car, but when someone reputable comes out with headers, that's where some power can be made up. Also waiting for IPD and Softronic to come out with their AM mods. The 3.4 engine is basically the same as the 991, but de-tuned.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jwade
Vetman, Why do you think the PSE is heavy on the 981?

It will take the AM a while to come up to speed on this car, but when someone reputable comes out with headers, that's where some power can be made up.
Headers would actually be a very good option, especially for a more usable mid-range torque.

I was just comparing stock exhausts to AM ones in general. Mine weighs almost 30 lb. less than stock, but it's a race exhaust - weight reduction will be less with "regular" AM exhausts.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i don't think the PSE is mandatory on the 981. On the 987, I 'd argue that you'd benefit more. but the 981 has better intake noise as standard so while it is an improvement it is not as significant as in the 987
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Is it just me or does the Boxster have a superior sound to the Boxster S? The Boxster has an excellent exhaust sound whereas the S certainly requires PSE. The only negative however is that $3K is a lot of money to spend on just improving the exhaust sound without any performance improvement.
I thought the the base Boxster sounded better than the "S" too. I ordered a base without PSE. If it sounds as good as the clip I will be happy!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I thought the the base Boxster sounded better than the "S" too. I ordered a base without PSE. If it sounds as good as the clip I will be happy!
It sounds exactly like the clip. I test drove the S today, and was disappointed in its exhaust sound, but I was really impressed with the S's acceleration. It really became alive at over 4K RPM. If I buy the S, I'll have to get PSE. So now that drives the price to more than $13K over the base car. Did you order the 19" wheels that are standard on the S? That would be a must option for me if I buy the base Boxster. I would also get the side vents painted to match the color of the car.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
It sounds exactly like the clip. I test drove the S today, and was disappointed in its exhaust sound, but I was really impressed with the S's acceleration. It really became alive at over 4K RPM. If I buy the S, I'll have to get PSE. So now that drives the price to more than $13K over the base car. Did you order the 19" wheels that are standard on the S? That would be a must option for me if I buy the base Boxster. I would also get the side vents painted to match the color of the car.
I did get the 19" wheels, but did not get the side vents painted. I thought I would see how I like them first and I can always get them painted later much cheaper that Porsche wants.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I did get the 19" wheels, but did not get the side vents painted. I thought I would see how I like them first and I can always get them painted later much cheaper that Porsche wants.
Jim - You are right. I think Porsche determines their costs for an option, doubles it and then squares it, and that becomes their price.

I expect almost any body shop would paint the vents for a couple hundred. When do you expect delivery? Early October?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Happy I ordered PSE