Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you reset the service light?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do you reset the service light?

How do you reset the Service now message?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I use durametric cable. Or have the dealer do it
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
How do you reset the Service now message?
Unless you have access to say a Durametric which may do this -- I have no direct experience -- you'll have to visit either a well equipped indy shop with the latest PIWIS2 or a dealer with said computer to do this for you.

I can tell you in some cases -- maybe the majority of cases -- the dealer will want to charge you. I have been told this is to have a record the service light was extinguished *without* the full/proper/called for service being done.

Also, one of my dealer contacts tells me the dealer pays $600/month for this PIWIS2 computer system, that is $600 for each computer in the shop and some shops have more than one (the one I was in the other day has 2), and at times during the year the dealer has to cough up money for upgrades and training and such. So the dealers are forced to charge for PIWIS2 diagnostic computer time because it costs them to have these systems in house.

Also, it takes a tech time to connect the system, call up its menu system and get the process running. My info the diagnostics computer is not set up (does not allow) a simple service light clear but must perform a scan of the car's systems. This takes time, though of course the tech doesn't have to stand at the computer while this is going on.

Anyhow, before the dealer could afford to be generous with this time but no longer.

Now a very friendly dealer might oblige you. Shortly (days?) after I bought a new 2008 Cayman S its service light came on but I had already changed the oil and filter -- which any Porsche tech worth his name badge will tell you this is *not* a service in the real sense of the word and is not considered a real service by Porsche -- and the dealer's service manager graciously cleared this for me at no charge.

But I note this was back before PIWIS2 came out and at that time the pre-PIWIS2 computers cost less.

However unless I miss my guess if you are not in this same situation I wouldn't be surprised you'll be asked to pay.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Durametric works on my spyder. It should work on your 987.1
Old 07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Wow, this is the first car I've ever owned where you couldn't do it yourself.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Same here. :-(

997.2 GT3 has a way to reset on your own?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Same here. :-(

997.2 GT3 has a way to reset on your own?
Haven't owned it long enough to know :-)
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Haven't owned it long enough to know :-)

I was going to say... how can you own 2 modern Porsches and not know this...
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I was going to say... how can you own 2 modern Porsches and not know this...
They were both 2012 aquisitions.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Super 90
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another complaint for a Sunday morning... This kind of thing (service lights that you can't easily reset) really irritate me. My Boxster S is the first Porsche I've had that even HAS a service light. I guess they're a good reminder, but there really should be a process for the owner to reset it! It's just another step in the progression towards making it impossible to service your own car.

I've got 2 Toyotas that have a simple process of holding the odometer reset button when you turn on the key... maintenance light resets. Easy as pie.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok, I'm new here - but am on my 2nd Cayman - an '11 S - and it appears on a 997 thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-warning.html ) that some good OBD II devices can reset the Service indicator. My CS just went out of warranty....was Certified.

I have been working on cars, motorcycles, trucks for over 50 years, have my own shop - it's my hobby. I have a very good OBD II reader - Actron Elite AutoScanner, CP9185. Wonder if it will reset the service indicator.

Anyone know if a good OBD II reader will do it?

TIA!

GN

'11 Cayman S, PDK/Sport Chrono, 19" Turbo II wheels, Bi-Xenon Cornering lights, Bose Surround, PSM, clear side markers, '09 Lexus GS350 AWD w/competition sway bars, cornering HID headlights, '09 Harley CVO "Screamin' Eagle" Road Glide, '97 Harley Wide Glide, highly customized by moi; '71 Triumph Trophy 500 T100C, '72 Triumph Bonneville T120V, '73 Triumph Trident T150V

Last edited by Gatornapper; 11-10-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:32 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Durametric will reset the light. Spend a little more and get the pro version- otherwise there is a limit as to how many VIN's it will accept.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have heard that if you pull the right fuse you can reset the service light. Unfortunately I don't recall which fuse needs to be pulled.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is the first car I've ever owned where you couldn't do it yourself.
Not unique to Porsche. Two previous BMW M3s required a Peak fault code reader or other such device to reset lights.

Durametric works on both GT4 and Spyder for resets. My dealer also charges to reset service lights. The Durametric pays for itself after two factory service light resets. Only downside to Durametric is that it requires a laptop to function.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have heard that if you pull the right fuse you can reset the service light.
First time I hear of that. And doubt that's the case, but if it is, hopefully somebody will chime in. Depending what's the time limit for first service, my 2016 might take up to another year to appear. So still have time for options. So far, my option would be an eBay solution that's much cheaper than Durametric, but will evaluate the latter when I need to pull the trigger, since I plan to keep this car for a while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you reset the service light?