Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder Top Sealing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Afshin, you've washed your car ONCE since you've owned it?

Oops, replied too quickly. I see that Afshin was serious and it was not a typo. Interesting info.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM
SpyderMan2011
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
for some reason, the 'flapping' only happens on my passenger side. Also, when the rear 'weather protector' is not installed and only the sunshade is up, the sunshade won't flip over the window and will get caught when you close the door if the window is up, but only on the passenger side (hard to describe, but does that make sense?). If the weather protector is installed, then the problem goes away and the door closes nicely. I brought this up with the dealer, and they said I have to deal with it. I figured so.
Hi orthojoe,

I had exactly the same problem like u on the passenger side so i know what you're talking about. The top will not overlap the window and the top will get caught. Everytime if i had a passenger i had to go over to passenger side and adjust it. But my issue is the top get caught no matter I put the weather protector or not. I brought it to my dealer and they had it fixed under warranty which took them many attempts maybe 8 times. So u better fix it while still under warranty. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Silberwolfen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glapira
Hi Guys,

first of all, I would like to introduce myself as this is my first post on this forum. I recently bough my new Porsche, a Boxster Spyder. I am absolutely delighted with it and I think it's just the car I wanted... :-)

I have been driving it for a bit now, but as I live in Spain, the convertible top hasn't been on a lot, to be honest! Now the other day I drove it with the top mounted (both of them), so the car was completely "closed".

I could clearly feel the left side, just above the left side window, doesn't seal completely... and I could hear both the wind noise and some fresh air getting inside the car. The right side seals perfectly and it's much quieter!

In fact, once I stopped, I tried to adjust the top by stretching it a little bit, but i could clearly feel with my hand that it wasn't sealing completely on the left side. There was nothing strange I could see or feel though.

Anybody experienced something similar? Any solution to it before I bring it to Porsche?

The car is still under warranty, but, just as a matter of interest, how much would a new convertible top cost?

I understand the convertible top is not perfect, but I believe that it could seal a little bit better... :-)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Gio
Hola Gio.

Each car is going to be different---I have found. However, I believe that the roof on my car was either tweaked or replaced by a Porsche dealership prior to me owning it.

The seal with my roof is very tight on both sides. I cannot put my hand easily between the window and the roof. The fit is very snug. I drove my car home from the dealership in very hard rain and wind with no problems.

I was expecting the roof to be horrible (from what I read online) and was very pleased to find out that it was not at all like what they were describing on Top Gear or Fifth Gear. I do plan to take very good care of my roof and to be sure not to stretch or abuse it.

Buenos Noches.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Top up in 90 seconds...

Drove a buddy's Spyder this am and loved it! What a great SPORTS car. As I'm kinda sorta maybe considering one I wanted to experience getting the top up in a hurry as if it 'started to rain'. I came in, by myself, at just around 90 secs. If I hadn't blown the first trunk pull it would have been shorter. I didn't put the back window in, just the top. Not bad, heh? Anybody else timed this step?

The back window seal is more finiky that the top and i think you don't need to to keep small amounts of rain out. Later I put the rear window in to 'seal the cabin' and did have some noise coming from the upper back left corner.

Overall impression!? Amazing car. Took it on some twisties. Very very nimble and responsive. More than enough power to end up in jail. Good sound at WOT. The top is no big deal. Could go faster with a trained passenger. Loved the purity of this car. Additions? Might swap in a GT2 clutch slave, short shifter, sport exhaust and lower the suspension a bit. Perfect.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder Top Sealing