Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who own a 997

Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Bingo, and why I traded my 997.2 for a 2012 Spyder and do not regret the move 7 months later
It's also why I traded my 2006 C2S Cab for a 2012 Black Edition Boxster S.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, there is the Evora...not that I would consider it, but it does receive nothing but praise for its handling.
I'd originally written, "Don't count Lotus" but decided to leave it off.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Of course a 20 minute test drive is far from conclusive, so I would like to get feedback from those who have lots of experience behind the wheel of a 997.
I had a 987 for 3 years and loved it. I recently changed to a 997 because I wasn't driving the 987 as much as I would have liked. The 987 for me was used as a second car for taking on weekend get-a-aways because of the lack of space (I have a dog and so does the gf). That was probably the biggest downside of the 987, for me at least. Now that I have the 997, I drive it every day.

The power of the 911 is addicting. The 997 is the first car that I've had where it never feels down on power (and it's a base, not a 997S). Power is smooth, linear and always on tap - even in top gear. It's just so-much-fun. The car consistently puts a smile on your face and even provokes the occasional lol. :-P

The Boxster, however, definitely felt more neutral; you know where the weight is in the 911 especially at high speed where the front-end becomes light (particularly in a stiff cross-wind). Ultimately, a mid-engine layout is superior to a rear engine layout for handling dynamics; it just is. However, Porsche will never let the Boxster touch the 911 in power (the Spyder is probably as close as it'll ever come). So, if you want to stick with Porsche, you have to decide what you want out of the car.

I was considering a lot of different types of 997s from Targas to C4s to GT3s to TTs to C2s to C2 Cabriolets. Ultimately I went with a C2 Cabriolet because I knew I'd miss the top-down driving and to be honest I'm not going to push the car hard enough on public roads to really care about the difference in torsional rigidity or the extra weight from the top; I'm just not. And I'm not yet interested in tracking the car and if I were I'd be looking at a GT3. Plus, you can hear the car more in the cabriolet which I love.

After a few coupe test drives I was really disappointed with the experience because it felt like Porsche "toned it down" for a certain demographic with enough money to buy these cars. However, the cabriolet (plus PSE) fixed all of that; I was back to the same visceral feeling I got from the sound of the Boxster. If you are used to the Boxster; are not a track junky and don't care what others say about the cabriolet (and it's only car guys who talk smack; most regular people seem to be more taken with the cab than the coupe), then I'd say definitely consider a cab.

Ultimately, like others have said, if you want all the power and a mid-engine layout you need to pony up some big bucks (both up-front and in ongoing maintenance). However, the R8 comes to mind as a possible exception to that.

Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a 2001 Boxster S that I custom ordered from Stuttgart. After taking a factory tour and being passenger at Weissach test track with factory drivers in a Boxster S with Euro sport suspension, I returned to the U.S. and changed out my entire suspension on my new car to Euro specs: new anti roll bars, springs, shocks and bushings. It was a phenomenal change and I dearly loved the car and drove it for 9 years until I sold it in favor of a slightly used 2007 Carrera 4S with 9K miles that I purchased at a $40K discount from MSRP in 2009. It has taken me all of 3 years to adjust to the change from mid engine to rear engine ! I dearly love the balance and handling of the mid engined platform. If and when I do move on to another car it will most likely be either a Boxster S or Cayman S. I would consider a Boxster Spyder EXCEPT for the ridiculous tent top, which is a deal breaker for me here in Oregon !
Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

I'd have thought the Spyder top would be less an issue in Oregon (since you seldom get to take it off).
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 997.2 GT3, a 987.1 Cayman S, and a 944. My Father has a Boxster Spyder. I’m sorry to also jump on the Spyder bandwagon but it is hands down one of the most exceptional cars Porsche has made. Aesthetically it is breathtaking and stands apart from the rest of the lineup. The raw and visceral sensations that the car gives are so involving that combined with the mid-engine design you have what could be considered the perfect enthusiast’s car. The “roof” is a PITA. The ride is a little too harsh IMHO for a daily driver, but it is a phenomenal street car that makes for a great weekend ride or 2nd/3rd vehicle.

The 911 (at least the GT3) is a superior track car. Yes, there’s more power but that’s not the only advantage. The chassis is far more communicative, as is both the steering feel and braking. The rear engine layout, for all of it’s liabilities, can be used as an asset by a better than average driver. Porsche has engineered this car to feel and respond this way. The Spyder is difficult to transform into a serious track car without severely disrupting it’s street setup (e.g. the rollbar solutions are not as graceful as those available for the regular Boxster’s, again because of the sunshade)

That said, I have no idea what would happen if Porsche engineered the 987 or 981 cars with the same intent they engineer a GT3. Again, this would go way beyond the call to “put more HP in the mid-engine cars.” There would need to be upgrades to braking, suspension, chassis communication, PSM & TC, and so forth.

I can tell you that earlier this month in a PCA DE event (Black group) I tracked my GT3 against a Cayman S which had the TPC Turbo kit making something along the lines of 450whp. I was faster lap over lap, but barely. We spoke after the session and we were both driving 10/10’s of our ability. It was great fun. I prefer N/A engines but a used Cayman S with a TPC Turbo dropped in is quite a good value for a track car.

If I was forced to choose a Porsche the decision would be a long and difficult one, but in the end I would probably pick the one I don’t own, the Boxster Spyder. While Porsche calls the 911 their “Identity”, the Spyder is to me the fulfillment of the promise of owning a Porsche. Maybe the grass is always greener…..
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently drive a 997 and have owned two Boxsters. I currently have a 2013 Boxster ordered. Bottom li.e is that the Box is a lot more fun to drive.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just traded my 05 Boxster for a mint 02 996 Cab, very much for the reasons stated previously (usability and space); quite simply my wife could not get over the lack of back seats and my youngest son is still at home. It became such a sticking point that I traded in my beloved Boxster for the 911. I absolutely love the 996, it's a great car but the Boxsters are simply better sports cars. You can't get around physics and the mid engine configuration is just better but the 911 is more useable.

I'm happy enough now but I'm going to buy a 981 S at some point in the future as it's the best car Porsche builds - well within my price range anyway.

Last edited by fanny bay r1; 06-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Interesting perspectives... everyone has different needs/desires/compromises

That said, I'm always surprised by the number of people who consider the crummy rear seats of a 911 (of any vintage) as such a big benefit. I definitely see the advantage for small-medium sized dogs - our corgis like riding in the back of the RS, but that space (even without the seats) seems like a form of punishment for anyone over the age of 6 or so.

For trips w/luggage, I prefer the two trunks of the Boxster/Cayman, which provide much more useful (out-of-view) space while traveling.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I remember taking a 996 for a test drive about 10 years ago. Since my wife was with me, the salesman sat in the back seat. He was about 6' and maybe 210 lbs. After a 15 minute teat drive, we almost had to pry the poor guy out of that area, and to make matters worse for him, I didn't even buy the car.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fast1
I remember taking a 996 for a test drive about 10 years ago. Since my wife was with me, the salesman sat in the back seat. He was about 6' and maybe 210 lbs. After a 15 minute teat drive, we almost had to pry the poor guy out of that area, and to make matters worse for him, I didn't even buy the car.
It would have been fun to really test drive the car with him back there.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liken this to being asked whether you prefer Monet to Rembrandt. They're both superlative! I currently drive a Spyder and I've owned a base 997 (2005) and a 997S (2007). The 997S was a comfier car, had more throttle when you jumped on it, especially at higher speeds, and held a certain snob appeal about it. Beautifully classic Porsche, well appointed, roomy for a tall guy, powerful, masculine, etc., etc., etc.

I'll take the Spyder over the 997S.

It's more visceral through the steering wheel, better handling, sounds throatier with or without the sport exhaust (the 997S was relatively quiet), is funner to go up the gears to where you want to be. It's simply a gas to drive, more of a track car. And it's got a sleaker, more modern roof line to go with retro Spyder roadster look Porsche so carefully designed for the car.

It's interesting to compare to when I drove the 997S around town. I would get frequent stares at a light and an occasional comment at the gas pump. The Spyder? EVERYONE stops and stares at this car and there's rarely a time I'm gassing up when someone doesn't come up to me and say, "Niiiiice car."

Unless you really need the jump seat -- and who REALLY needs a jump seat? -- I'd take the Spyder.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
It would have been fun to really test drive the car with him back there.
That would have been mean.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by wbgordon
I liken this to being asked whether you prefer Monet to Rembrandt. They're both superlative! I currently drive a Spyder and I've owned a base 997 (2005) and a 997S (2007). The 997S was a comfier car, had more throttle when you jumped on it, especially at higher speeds, and held a certain snob appeal about it. Beautifully classic Porsche, well appointed, roomy for a tall guy, powerful, masculine, etc., etc., etc.

I'll take the Spyder over the 997S.

It's more visceral through the steering wheel, better handling, sounds throatier with or without the sport exhaust (the 997S was relatively quiet), is funner to go up the gears to where you want to be. It's simply a gas to drive, more of a track car. And it's got a sleaker, more modern roof line to go with retro Spyder roadster look Porsche so carefully designed for the car.

It's interesting to compare to when I drove the 997S around town. I would get frequent stares at a light and an occasional comment at the gas pump. The Spyder? EVERYONE stops and stares at this car and there's rarely a time I'm gassing up when someone doesn't come up to me and say, "Niiiiice car."

Unless you really need the jump seat -- and who REALLY needs a jump seat? -- I'd take the Spyder.
I'm really getting envious of you guys who live in the south and west. If I lived in those areas I would buy the Spyder in a heartbeat since I would have the top off about 99.9% of the time. Although my test drive was only about 20 minutes, I completely concurr with all your observations. The Spyder is not only the best handling car that I have ever driven, but it is also a real head turner.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

For a third vehicle/fun car the Spyder can't be beat. I live in New England and we all know the weather isn't great here but I've managed to put 4500 miles on my Spyder in a span of 14 months and I can tell you that every drive feels special.

Interestingly enough I thought the buzz for the Spyder would wear off by now with a year passing since production ended but it really hasn't. It will be interesting to see if the 981 steals the show from here on out, I think it might but who knows.

I know I have no plans to sell my Spyder, it is everything I want in a fun car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for those who own a 997