Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 convertible sides not seating

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM
bjabo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987 convertible sides not seating

Hello Experts

I just bought a 2005 Boxster, and love it...but one small problem, when I close the top, the side "lips" on both sides doesnt seat properly, as it gets caught on the outside plastic molding that surrounds the sides by the windows. I can easily push it in before locking, but wondered if there is a easy fix for this that any of you may be aware of

thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't had the problem myself, but another Boxster driver reported a similar issue and said it happened when the top was not used for a long time. The fabric stiffened and it took some open/close maneuvres to get it to soften up again and behave correctly. I don't know if this is the case with your car, but try to open/close it a few times and see if it gets better...
Old 05-15-2012, 05:09 PM
bjabo
AutoX

thank you, I had it only for a week, and opened and closed it just once.

sure is a blast to drive with the top down (or up for that matter)

thank you for the advice, I will try this
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Goon
4th Gear

I had a similar problem but in my case it was clear that a cable needed replaced to repair it. I now have a more serious problem, both control rods broke at the ball joint. I hope these ongoing problems don't persist. I use it a lot but I'm not closing it at speed or anything.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean the ragg-top only with approved cleaners. Do not use the same shampoo used for the exterior paint, because is will certainly dry the ragg-top.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM
RickSpeed
3rd Gear

I too just bought an 05 Boxster S, and had the same problem. Dealer sent it to a convertible shop where they replaced to straps that pull the top into the groove while closing. They dry out and lose elasticity over time.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM
bjabo
AutoX

thank you all, I will have it checked out...this is all very helpful. a great site for information from experienced Porsche owners.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I just fixed this on my '05 this past weekend.

I opened the top halfway to get a good look at the inside. When you do this you will see a triangle shaped piece of fabric (point facing inward) that has an elastic strap sewn to the point and attached to an inner part of the top frame. These elastic straps have slits cut in them for the screws to pass through. All I did was unscrew the strap and reattach in the next slit of the strap. This causes the top to be pulled inward more. No need to replace anything and it only takes a few minutes. If you'd like I can take some pictures this weekend.

best,

Matt
The following users liked this post:
Bubbabuzz (08-12-2020)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goon
I had a similar problem but in my case it was clear that a cable needed replaced to repair it. I now have a more serious problem, both control rods broke at the ball joint. I hope these ongoing problems don't persist. I use it a lot but I'm not closing it at speed or anything.
They all break. helps keep the whole top from tweaking. You can buy new ones at suncoast for and ebay for $85. Easy fix.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:50 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I just fixed this on my '05 this past weekend.

I opened the top halfway to get a good look at the inside. When you do this you will see a triangle shaped piece of fabric (point facing inward) that has an elastic strap sewn to the point and attached to an inner part of the top frame. These elastic straps have slits cut in them for the screws to pass through. All I did was unscrew the strap and reattach in the next slit of the strap. This causes the top to be pulled inward more. No need to replace anything and it only takes a few minutes. If you'd like I can take some pictures this weekend.

best,

Matt
This will only work if the sting that goes through that piece hasn't broken. Mine does this too, but I have to replace the string that goes across the top.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM
bjabo
AutoX

Matt

this sounds like something even I could do....but if you would be so kind as to taking a few pictures to guide me...that would be fantastic.

thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM
bjabo
AutoX

Guys

thank you all for the help....I will look at it this weekend....and see if I can try to fix or see what parts need to be ordered....glad to know its fixable and relativly inexpensive

thank you
Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Nigel1789
Track Day

Hi Bjabo - the same as you, but in England!

I too bought an 05 Boxster S in October, agter ten years of a beautiful, but increasingly expensive 993. I absolutley love it.

But - I had not noticed that, on one side, the cable was not seating into the channel properly. I have found lots on the net regarding this problem, and it is common, (and not the best in Porsche design I feel). The fix is complicated, and is even hard to follow via descriptions, etc.
It isn't the cables themselves, but is probably wear and strain on the complex little wires and elastics that go across between the two sides, and which present the cables exactly into the channels - all a bit too delicate for my liking Fixing it yourself would be possible, but it is one of those jobs where knowing exactly what is going on helps so much.

I have been planning to get it fixed, and then, a couple oe weeks ago, the other side strted to do the same - so - I have booked the job into the Porsche Centre at Reading, where they have a real 'rtoof expert', he is sure he can sort it out,

Wishing you well - all the best from an even wetter than usual England - Nigel
Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 AM
bjabo
AutoX

thanks Nigel, I am not all that handy myself.....so I will take a look but a bit afraid to touch my new baby.....I see all these passonate "addicts" on this forum, and I see I amquickly becoming one myself.

stay dry!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

Okay guys, I've taken pictures of the strap that I adjusted to solve this problem on my car. I hope this will be helpful in some way.

This first picture gives you a sense of how far I opened the top to make this repair.

In this next picture you will see a broad grayish strap about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom of the roof. This is the strap that I adjusted.

This picture is a closer view of the strap. The pointed end that you can't see is facing into the roof and has the elastic band attached. The other end of the elastic is attached to a torx screw deeper into the top. I could not get a pic but if you run your fingers down the elastic strap you will find the torx screw. It's tight and you might have to adjust the top depending on the size of your hands. I also used a flashlight to help see. Once you have the torx screw remove it and the elastic trying not to pull it out of the elastic. The elastic has slots in it. I move the torx screw to the next slot closest to the strap and then reinstalled the screw. It's a bit tight but if I can do it anyone can.

This fixed my issue. There is room on the elastic to make additional adjustments. Again, not a great write up but I hope this helps.

Matt

Quick Reply: 987 convertible sides not seating