Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)
View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell your Spyder or Cayman R for the 981?
Yes, Definitely
10.98%
No, Not for Me
64.63%
To Early to Say
24.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they used to. and we loved them for it.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So this 'lowest common denominator' ties in nicely with my roadshow experience.
btw, no offense to you guys that had a good experience at the roadshow. Hopefully it wasn't as poorly done as it was at
Alameda Point. It's just that my experience was so bad....
Joe,

The one they did at California Speedway was ok. The 20 second autocross for the 981 was the same, and so was the lame hybrid challenge (although I had never driven the Panamera, so I liked it). They used the infield track for the lead/follow, and although there were some drivers that slowed us down, I was still able to hit 125 in the straights. I was pleased since I have not bothered to test drive the Panamera, 991, or 981. So to drive them all in half a day was fun for me. But I will agree that it could have been a lot better.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Joe,

The one they did at California Speedway was ok. The 20 second autocross for the 981 was the same, and so was the lame hybrid challenge (although I had never driven the Panamera, so I liked it). They used the infield track for the lead/follow, and although there were some drivers that slowed us down, I was still able to hit 125 in the straights. I was pleased since I have not bothered to test drive the Panamera, 991, or 981. So to drive them all in half a day was fun for me. But I will agree that it could have been a lot better.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm probably not trained/finely attuned to picking up on these things quickly. I just honestly can't tell you anything definitive about the 981 with my 40 seconds driving the car.

Last year they let us do some driving around the streets of candlestick park. I thought that was worthwhile. I'm surprised they didn't do that this year.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We did the roadshow at Fontana, too. My wife got to push all the cars during the follow the leader since she was following a decent driver. I got stuck behind a very timid driver that limited my top speed down the straights to 65 in the Carrera and 6o in the Carrera S... I guess she was more comfortable in the Panamera GTS, since that was what I was following when I drove the Carrera.

The slalom looked adequate, but we somehow got bumped from that. It wasn't a problem since we'd both driven the Boxster S (and a manual, at that!) in anger during the release. As Joe says, the hybrid portion was a sham.

To me, as a first time Roadshow guest, it was nice, but the driving experience, like most things was set to that lowest common denominator... again. No manuals, because "people can't drive stick, no matter what they claim" (head instructor's words, not mine), and one lap is not enough time to get 'uncomfortable' people 'comfortable'. Call it what it is, a sales tool, nothing more.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
toper
Advanced

i would maybe consider selling my spyder to get a 991, if I could get the numbers to work out.

But for a 981, no way (981 owners should consider selling to buy a spyder/cayman r).
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by toper
i would maybe consider selling my spyder to get a 991, if I could get the numbers to work out.

But for a 981, no way (981 owners should consider selling to buy a spyder/cayman r).
What are the specs for your Spyder?
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM
wbgordon
Racer

I knew by earlier this year that my leased Spyder was going to blow through the mileage cap, so I bought the car against the advice of one of the local dealer salesmen I've dealt with for years who felt I should take the car to the mileage cap and then convert to a 981S.

A full change of rubber later, I have no regrets whatsoever and no designs on switching to a 981. No slight to the 981, a gorgeous car with a bushel basket of upgrades, but there can be only one Spyder. I love driving this car like no other P-car I've owned, and that includes four 911s, the last of them a gorgeous arctic silver 2007 Carrera S.

The Spyder is as several of you said, the last of the Mahicans in terms of a true Porsche enthusiast sports car, a car that continues to turn heads wherever I go. Given the fact there are so few of them on the road, the car is certain to maintain its value like no other current Porsche. I'm not certain I'll ever let go of it.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
toper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What are the specs for your Spyder?
it's DD spec'd (PDK, sport plus, heated seats, upgrade headlights, navi, a/c, paddle shifters).
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

I test drove a 981S at the dealership right before I placed my order for a 991S and although it does drive very nicely, it seems to have lost its edge. Even moreso compared to the Spyder (which I own), the 981S is more refined and is not as sharp looking too. Raw speed, the cars are very identical but the ride on the 981S was definitely more compliant over rough roads. Would I trade for a 981S? I wouldn't just beause Porsche Boxster is about the most raw sports car you are going to get besides a GT3 in the Porsche lineup.

I shall be receiving my 991S in December and that would compliment the stable with the Boxster Spyder as the more fun car to drive and the 991S a more comfortable but fast car to drive.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by veilsideLGD
I test drove a 981S at the dealership right before I placed my order for a 991S and although it does drive very nicely, it seems to have lost its edge. Even moreso compared to the Spyder (which I own), the 981S is more refined and is not as sharp looking too. Raw speed, the cars are very identical but the ride on the 981S was definitely more compliant over rough roads. Would I trade for a 981S? I wouldn't just beause Porsche Boxster is about the most raw sports car you are going to get besides a GT3 in the Porsche lineup.

I shall be receiving my 991S in December and that would compliment the stable with the Boxster Spyder as the more fun car to drive and the 991S a more comfortable but fast car to drive.
Spyder & 991S is the ideal fun car combo, congrats on the 991S purchase!

Quick Reply: Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?