Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)
View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell your Spyder or Cayman R for the 981?
Yes, Definitely
10.98%
No, Not for Me
64.63%
To Early to Say
24.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

khooni that is a very appropriate summary for the Spyder. I've found that the top is a pain when you're in a rush, otherwise it's charming. The only times I've been in a rush is when it has started to rain or if we are with a group and I need to remove the top quickly to depart with the group. Even living in New England I have only been in a rush twice which amounts to about .5% of my ownership.

Certainly it would be a different story if it were a DD but that's now why I bought it.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the 981 at a launch event, but waited until a confirming drive at the Porsche Roadshow to post to this thread.

I haven't given up all hope on the 981 (though I do not expect a Spyder version), since Porsche is offering a Spyder-esque suspension option, but I believe that unless something dramatic happens the 987s will be the last 'real' sports cars that Porsche makes.

Selling for maximum volume requires selling to the lowest common denominator. Meeting all governmental dictates further dilutes the 'sports car' driving experience. After several drives in the new Boxster it feels to me the perfect sports car for people that don't like/love sports cars - all those 'nasty' behaviors ('busy' steering that allows you to feel the road texture and gets heavier under cornering load, 'noisy' interior, 'harsh' ride, 'stiff' clutch, 'oversensitive' brakes, 'difficult' top, etc) are now being homogenized and all the sports cars' hard, tight edges are being smoothed off.

I love old/vintage sports car, but I am not such a purist that I don't want (a 30-lb) A/C that works or a top that seals against the weather (though I don't mind putting it up myself), and I never considered faulty electricals to be endearing (though they might be character building). I do, however, want to feel what the car is doing through the steering, the pedals and the seat of my pants, and that's where the new cars are inferior to me.

The objective performance numbers are there, as are the basic chassis dynamics, but to me, the 'sport' part is getting lost.

The same applies to the the 991, only more so. After driving the Carrera, Carrera S and Panamera GTS around the same track, I was surprised (and a little disgusted) to find I enjoyed the 'sports car' driving experience of the Panamera GTS best of the three - great for the Panamera, sad for the 911.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,596 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I drove the 981 at a launch event, but waited until a confirming drive at the Porsche Roadshow to post to this thread.

I haven't given up all hope on the 981 (though I do not expect a Spyder version), since Porsche is offering a Spyder-esque suspension option, but I believe that unless something dramatic happens the 987s will be the last 'real' sports cars that Porsche makes.

Selling for maximum volume requires selling to the lowest common denominator. Meeting all governmental dictates further dilutes the 'sports car' driving experience. After several drives in the new Boxster it feels to me the perfect sports car for people that don't like/love sports cars - all those 'nasty' behaviors ('busy' steering that allows you to feel the road texture and gets heavier under cornering load, 'noisy' interior, 'harsh' ride, 'stiff' clutch, 'oversensitive' brakes, 'difficult' top, etc) are now being homogenized and all the sports cars' hard, tight edges are being smoothed off.

I love old/vintage sports car, but I am not such a purist that I don't want (a 30-lb) A/C that works or a top that seals against the weather (though I don't mind putting it up myself), and I never considered faulty electricals to be endearing (though they might be character building). I do, however, want to feel what the car is doing through the steering, the pedals and the seat of my pants, and that's where the new cars are inferior to me.

The objective performance numbers are there, as are the basic chassis dynamics, but to me, the 'sport' part is getting lost.

The same applies to the the 991, only more so. After driving the Carrera, Carrera S and Panamera GTS around the same track, I was surprised (and a little disgusted) to find I enjoyed the 'sports car' driving experience of the Panamera GTS best of the three - great for the Panamera, sad for the 911.
Well said Steve... I had a similar conversation with Eduardo about how I felt the Boxster Spyder is one of the last raw and simple Porsche's. Personally I feel it's sad... IMHO... I feel that the manual transmission will soon disappear from Porsche too.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:47 PM
sbrsport
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on the Spyder!

Which Spyder did you get and how about some pictures.
Just got Basalt Black with black interior (with deviated red stiching and red dials). Will post some pics when I get a moment.

Absolutely incredible car. Was driving last night on Mullholland in the Santa Monica mountains. Had my wife in the car. She finally understands why I wanted it so badly.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

unless something dramatic happens the 987s will be the last 'real' sports cars that Porsche makes.....

After several drives in the new Boxster it feels to me the perfect sports car for people that don't like/love sports cars - all those 'nasty' behaviors ('busy' steering that allows you to feel the road texture and gets heavier under cornering load, 'noisy' interior, 'harsh' ride, 'stiff' clutch, 'oversensitive' brakes, 'difficult' top, etc) are now being homogenized and all the sports cars' hard, tight edges are being smoothed off.....

Originally Posted by navanoD
Boxster Spyder is one of the last raw and simple Porsche's. Personally I feel it's sad... IMHO... I feel that the manual transmission will soon disappear from Porsche too.
It is the beginning of the end, my friends. It is indeed sad... esp. for 911.

There's news/video from a few days ago of 3 GT3's essentially without camouflage on the streets (pretty much real things except for Porsche crests on the hood and GT3 emblems on back). AFAIK, all 3 were PDK.......... When you really think about it, it's not that surprising given how Ferrari, Lambo, GT-R, etc., have all gone that route...

p.s. I was able to get a "fierce" test drive of a 981 S. Personally, I thought its capabilities were incredible.

JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY THOUGH: there's NO WAY I'm trading my Spyder for 981 S.

Last edited by the_vetman; 09-24-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on! Post so good, deserves to be quoted and read for a second time. I have always describe the Spyder as a modern vintage, that it hits all the sweet spots among generations of sports cars.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys- the AC works perfect. Not sure why people say it doesn't.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove the 981 S at the roadshow, and I thought it was great. A close second to the Spyder, and I think that's saying a lot for the new "mass produced" version.

That being said, there's not a chance in hell I would trade my Spyder for one.

But for the masses, I think it's a great car.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm going to use this opportunity to bitch about this year's Porsche World Roadshow event. It was horrible. I attended the one at Alameda Point.

1) For the 981 we were given 2 laps in a 20 second autocross course. That's it. They asked me afterwards how I thought it compared to the spyder. I told them I have no idea since they only gave me 40 seconds in the car.

2) The hybrid test run was a rigged test. Sure, the electric powered hybrid had more punch off the line. However, as soon as the non-hybrid was going to shine as the speed picked up, they cut the course short and make you hit the brakes.

3) My drive in the 991 was horrifically marred by a big fat lady who couldn't drive faster than 40mph, so the coach had to slow down to match her speed, so we had to follow her.

The result? I can't tell you anything about the 991 or 981. They certainly look nice, though.

Contrast this with a Lexus driving event where they give you multiple runs in a nice big autocross course at infineon. They let you drive the competition (BMW, Mercedes) to compare the differences around the autocross course. They have a competition for the best time. Winner gets hot laps in a LFA. The lead follow is on a real road course. I'm still not buying a Lexus, but that's how a driving event should be done.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Selling for maximum volume requires selling to the lowest common denominator. now being homogenized

the 'sport' part is getting lost.
this is the crux of the matter.
it's happening in all industries, and it's a shame.
i'm very happy to remain staunchly old-school and ignore the relentless pursuit of technology which is de-funking our lives.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Joe at least Porsche does a roadshow in your area. They don't even bother putting one on anywhere near New England, the closest is in New Jersey which is a minimum 5 hour drive! Funny thing is that this is one of their bigger markets (either 3 or 4) in the US.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Joe at least Porsche does a roadshow in your area. They don't even bother putting one on anywhere near New England, the closest is in New Jersey which is a minimum 5 hour drive! Funny thing is that this is one of their bigger markets (either 3 or 4) in the US.
I'm probably spoiled given the location of where I live, but the reality is that a test drive at your local dealer would have given you more seat time and a better feel for the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
this is the crux of the matter.
it's happening in all industries, and it's a shame.
i'm very happy to remain staunchly old-school and ignore the relentless pursuit of technology which is de-funking our lives.
So this 'lowest common denominator' ties in nicely with my roadshow experience.

The average porsche consumer (not anybody on this forum) knows nothing about cars. The average buyer will love the roadshow. They are fooled in thinking they got a feel for the car, and they get to go home and brag to their friends that they 'raced' porsches over the weekend. They read and hear about porsche and want a slice of the pie. Nothing wrong with that, because they keep porsche afloat. We don't. If they catered to us, they'd go out of business. At least, in the short term. When/if their image starts to falter because they have strayed from their roots...perhaps there might be consequences. Who knows... I'm no businessman.

btw, no offense to you guys that had a good experience at the roadshow. Hopefully it wasn't as poorly done as it was at
Alameda Point. It's just that my experience was so bad....

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-24-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spyder was a specialized version of the previous generation. The 981S is the main production model.

I think their state of tune is perfectly suited to each raison d'etre. Their market values down the road will reflect that too. I think it well established.

Porsche will make a model available for every type of buyer if there is a market, that is the Porsche way since the 993.

That said, a lightly spec'd 981S and a tweak from the aftermarket and the 981S is much more raw. That will make the folks craving rawness pretty happy until a possible Spyder re-appears.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think a spyder is on the cards...... for the 981 gen cars.

the fact that a non adjustable suspension has appeared indicates as much. why create a compromised poor selling model to appeal to enthusiast when a non-compromised one with a sportier suspension will appeal to both enthusiast and the general public without the fiddly roof.

It does not make sense. Porsche does not do stuff that doesn't make sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?