Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)
View Poll Results: Would you trade/sell your Spyder or Cayman R for the 981?
Yes, Definitely
10.98%
No, Not for Me
64.63%
To Early to Say
24.39%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Spyder is pure sports car and that is what I wanted. My only option from here is a GT3.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
preetham
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. GT3 is the next on my shop list. Ideally i would like to have a Spyder and a GT3.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Spyder is a keeper regardless of what comes along.

That said, I really like the 981 from what I've seen to date - if/when I purchased a 981, it would be "in addition to" my Spyder.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Would I trade the Spyder for an introductory 981 Boxster or Boxster S? Not a chance - heavier, less powerful, more electronics, more expensive - the new cars are a few steps in the wrong direction.

I did vote for 'To [sic.] Early to Say', however, as the poll was not specific to the current 981 offerings. I have a feeling the 981 Cayman will be everything the 991 isn't, and that R (and possible RS) versions will be fantastic drivers' cars.

As has been discussed before, I would be shocked if there isn't a 981 Spyder, however I agree with others that it will be compromised for a wider audience (read: more acceptable roof), and therefore primarily a styling exercise with more power and some GT3 bits.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want a 981 Spyder. I hope they make it and don't see why not.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 981 Spyder?

Originally Posted by mile2424
I honestly hope they don't make a 981 Spyder
Originally Posted by mooty
selling Snyder would b foolish
adding a 981 Spyder to ur current spyder would b nirvana
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As has been discussed before, I would be shocked if there isn't a 981 Spyder, however I agree with others that it will be compromised for a wider audience (read: more acceptable roof), and therefore primarily a styling exercise with more power and some GT3 bits.
Originally Posted by zizu
I want a 981 Spyder. I hope they make it and don't see why not.
All of the above quotes are interesting. We have touched on this subject here in this forum in the past. Personally, I don't think PAG will make a 981 Spyder, at least not in the mold of the 987 Spyder! Regardless the exalted reviews and cult following that the Spyder has garnered among the motoring press & enthusiasts, I don't think it was a financial success for Porsche! The actual Spyder production numbers are among the lowest of any they made in the period - less than gt3's (.1 & .2) , gt3 RS's (.1 & .2) or the one-MY Cayman R's. Only the gt2 RS's and 4.0 Limited Edition gt3 RS's had less number of units produced - and those were kept low on purpose! That is great news for Spyder owners in regards to exclusivity & holding value, but I don't think those numbers truly excited any PAG (or VW's) financial executive!

Any speculation about a 981 Spyder revolves around what kind of innovative new top mechanism could equal, or better, the current one! Our present single-layer canvas 'Bimini Top' weighs only 13 lbs and it's weight saved from a very strategic location, which lowers center of gravity, etc. Thus, the lightweight top (in conjunction with its unique suspension) is probably the single-most important factor in giving a handling edge to the Spyder vs any other 987...but it is also its greatest detraction to increase sales! Without such a lightweight manual top, a future 981 Spyder would be compromising the stellar handling benchmark set by the current 987 Spyder! With such a lightweight manual top, however, it might not sell in the numbers required by PAG to make it worthwhile as a production model! So that might be the conundrum facing Porsche as it decides how, or even if, to build a new Spyder!

We will know in due time if a 981 Spyder will be produced, with or without, any compromises! I do agree with others here that PAG follows certain guidelines in bringing out its 'sportiest' models on any platform. So don't expect another Spyder, if indeed one is to be produced, until near the end of the new 981 model! That indeed will be a very long wait!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its interesting that everyone seems so negative about the idea of a 981 based Spyder. So far reviews have been very positive about the driving experience of a 981. Before everyone says how perfect the 987 Spyder is, and that they can't possibly make a lighter car etc...just suppose they did build a 981 Spyder that was not just a better car... but a better Spyder! A lighter Spyder with a more powerful engine, lighter easier to use top, better handling and better performance...would you keep your current car or trade it?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
Its interesting that everyone seems so negative about the idea of a 981 based Spyder. So far reviews have been very positive about the driving experience of a 981. Before everyone says how perfect the 987 Spyder is, and that they can't possibly make a lighter car etc...just suppose they did build a 981 Spyder that was not just a better car... but a better Spyder! A lighter Spyder with a more powerful engine, lighter easier to use top, better handling and better performance...would you keep your current car or trade it?
I go through Porsches like crazy. I think I have had 15 different ones total now. My Spyder is not going anywhere, if anything I would add a 981 Spyder if it stuck to its roots. My 987 Spyder would be paid off by then, and I would have money burning a hole in my pocket.
In the mean time, a 981 Cayman would be next on my list.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

The 981 is a good looking car, and would be even better with some double-humps on the back. But the problem is, the 981/991 already uses aluminum extensively, the Spyder's 13lb top has been derided by the press, the power increase for the next generation is negligible for all intents and purposes, and the 981 is more expensive.

My guess is that we will start seeing more carbon fiber in the next gen GT3, but now that the 911 no longer shares any body panels with the Boxster, I don't see that the expense will be justified on the 981. The top will have to be heavier than 13lbs to satisfy the critics. And Porsche is clearly continuing to preserve the performance difference between the mid-engined cars and the 911.

So what are we left with? A car that will probably not be as light as the Spyder - which is what makes it magic - and only marginally more powerful. So similar straight-line performance, and alphabet soup of electronics acronyms in the suspension to compensate for added weight and fashionable 20" wheels.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my crystal ball is telling me.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 981 is a good looking car, and would be even better with some double-humps on the back. But the problem is, the 981/991 already uses aluminum extensively, the Spyder's 13lb top has been derided by the press, the power increase for the next generation is negligible for all intents and purposes, and the 981 is more expensive.

My guess is that we will start seeing more carbon fiber in the next gen GT3, but now that the 911 no longer shares any body panels with the Boxster, I don't see that the expense will be justified on the 981. The top will have to be heavier than 13lbs to satisfy the critics. And Porsche is clearly continuing to preserve the performance difference between the mid-engined cars and the 911.

So what are we left with? A car that will probably not be as light as the Spyder - which is what makes it magic - and only marginally more powerful. So similar straight-line performance, and alphabet soup of electronics acronyms in the suspension to compensate for added weight and fashionable 20" wheels.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's what my crystal ball is telling me.
Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response. The 981 is far from perfect, at least in its earliest version. I really had hoped that the 981S would pump out at least another 30-40hp and more torque. But as you mentioned, Porsche is sticking to their rediculous tradition of preserving the power difference between the mid-engined cars and the base 911. For me its annoying because I have no interest in a 991, I'm not looking for something with a back seat or that is as much of a GT car as the 991.

I understand your concerns about weight, the top, and additional electronic gizmos. These are issus echoed by many Spyder owners in several posts. Still, it presumes that there can't be a better version of the Spyder. My question was ...just suppose they did build a 981 Spyder that was not just a better car... but a better Spyder! A lighter Spyder with a more powerful engine, lighter easier to use top, better handling and better performance...would you keep your current car or trade it?

I can't see Spyder owners trading for a base 981. Also since the 987 Spyder is more track purpose car, I can't see many Spyder owners trading in a Spyder for a 981S (although, maybe some would consider getting a 981S in addition to keeping their 987 Spyder, and use a 981 Spyder as a DD).
But if Porsche, contrary to the predictions of many current Spyder owners, produces an even better Spyder...what would you do? Keep the 987 version or trade it for a new lighter, more powerful Spyder with better handling?

Best regards,
Dino
Old 05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by good hands
Spyder is pure sports car and that is what I wanted. My only option from here is a GT3.
This is the right answer.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 PM
jabbey
Advanced

I couldn't be happier with my entry point for Porsche ownership, a MY2012 Spyder. The hunt for the allocation, the anticipation, trusting only the rants and raves of enthusiasts here and within the media (I didn't see one in person until well after my order), the delivery, and now ownership. For me, it exceeded all my expectations. Because of that, if I'm fortunate to enough to have additional Porsche cars, this one is stays with me!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like "raw" Porsches, and will always have a GT3 in my garage... I am intrigued by the 991 GT3, so can't wait to see it/drive it... But until then, the Spyder is very high on my list. It is already a classic, and will no doubt significantly appreciate in value over the next 10-15 years...

So to the original question - I'd keep the Spyder!

-B
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

My question was ...just suppose they did build a 981 Spyder that was not just a better car... but a better Spyder! A lighter Spyder with a more powerful engine, lighter easier to use top, better handling and better performance...would you keep your current car or trade it?
Well, sure, if a 981 is a better Spyder - free of electronic filtering and no compromises - if you have the means, why would you keep an inferior car? But as long as we are fantasizing, how about a 981 Spyder with a 4.0 Mezger motor?

You have to consider that the 981/991 platform was designed for optimal chassis set-up in conjunction with electric steering assistance, PSM, PASM, PDCC, DEM, and PTV. The 986/996, which is the genesis of our Spyders, did not have any electronic filtering. For Porsche to produce a 981 Spyder in the same vein as the 987, it would have to reverse-engineer all of the chassis electronics out of the car, which I just don't see happening. Especially since they will be faced with the law of diminishing returns with regards to weight reduction.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I concur with Alan's last post. The spyder already has PSM doesn't need any more electronics interfering with it's pureness

Quick Reply: Spyder / Cayman R Owners, Would You Sell to Buy a 981?