Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

How many Spyders in the SF Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I wish my wife and I could make the event that Eduardo is hosting, but can't get away 10th - 12th.

Count me in for the 20th if it's still on. Would love to meet everyone and hit some twisty roads in the Spyder.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Okay the BBQ and drive is on for Sunday May 20th in Pleasanton.

So far bensf, zellamsee, orthoejoe, mile2424, thekane, daveI and carsonSD have said yes. So that makes at least 8 Spyders in attendance and should make for some great pictures.

Let’s plan on arrival around 11 am, lunch 12-1 pm and the drive 1-3:30 pm.

The drive will go from Pleasanton to Livermore to get on Mines Rd heading south. This is the same road the bike racers use and the good news is their race is the following weekend on the 27th!

We take Mines Rd to Route 130. That will take us to Mt Hamilton and the Lick Observatory. From there we will continue to Joseph D Grant County Park and stop for pictures.

The park entrance fee is $6 which has some larger tree covered parking areas. There is a smaller free parking lot before we get to the main park entrance that we can check out to see if it is full but it may not be the best photo opp.

Google Maps shows 76 miles and 2 hrs 20 minutes. I think we can do a little better than that!

The drive ends at Alum Rock Ave and 680 in San Jose so it is easy to head home for everyone from there.

If I don't already have your email please pm me for home address in Pleasanton.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the 20th.

Here is the updated tally of Spyders in Northern CA.
Known owners 11
2 Blue
Bensf (SF) – Blue/tan
z356 (Carmel) –Blue/Red
1 Silver
Zellamsee (Marin) – Silver/black
8 White
mile2424 (Peninsula) – White/tan
carsonsd (North Monterey County) - White/red
Orthojoe (Walnut Creek) – White/black/red inserts
redyps (Pleasanton) – White/black
TheKane (Stinson Beach) – White/black
PCW (Sacramento) - White/black
Dave I (Foster City) - White/black
Stevesc (Santa Cruz) - White/Black

Unknown owners 3
2 White
White (Peninsula)
White one/red brakes (Walnut Creek)
1 Red
Red (Union Square)

Total owners 14
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry Phil, but I can't make that day. My wife and her friends planned for a 'mom's day out' at some downtown museum and they will be gone from 9am-4pm that day, which means I'm on the hook for watching my TWO kids. Emphasis on TWO, because I can only fit ONE kid in my spyder. Frunk not a good idea for storing kids.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

But Orthojoe, the Frunk (great name btw, I'm going to use that) is perfect for children! It has an internal latch for them an everything. :P
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Sorry Phil, but I can't make that day. My wife and her friends planned for a 'mom's day out' at some downtown museum and they will be gone from 9am-4pm that day, which means I'm on the hook for watching my TWO kids. Emphasis on TWO, because I can only fit ONE kid in my spyder. Frunk not a good idea for storing kids.
Joe - Don't you use the frunk for time outs? If you want me to swing by and transport one of your kids, let me know. I don't have one of those Bubble Bum contraptions though

Phil - I may not be able to do the drive portion of the meet. I may be meeting up with a friend visiting from out of town.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TheKane
But Orthojoe, the Frunk (great name btw, I'm going to use that) is perfect for children! It has an internal latch for them an everything. :P
Originally Posted by bensf
Joe - Don't you use the frunk for time outs? If you want me to swing by and transport one of your kids, let me know. I don't have one of those Bubble Bum contraptions though
Kane, the internal latch is a problem because they'll open the hood while the car is in motion. Ben, I've tried the timeouts in the frunk. It doesn't work. See below (my boy is the one in the front with the blue 'cars' shirt)

Thanks for the offer, Ben. Logistics will still be a bit tough since my daughter is still too small for the bubble bum.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Joe -

Offer to buy all of them lunch at their favorite restaurant if they do it on Saturday! You do not want to miss this and we all want you there!

Phil

p.s. frunk is an interesting concept...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

That is an awesome picture.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM
bensf
Racer

Ben, I've tried the timeouts in the frunk. It doesn't work. See below (my boy is the one in the front with the blue 'cars' shirt)

Great picture. I think you're missing the concept, timeouts only work when they are placed alone in the frunk. LOL.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redyps
Offer to buy all of them lunch at their favorite restaurant if they do it on Saturday! You do not want to miss this and we all want you there!
Oh Phil, you silly man, you MUST know what would happen to me if I try to alter an event that a group of women planned months ago.

I can't complain, my wife never gives me grief about going to the track.

Thanks for hosting the event, though, I know you guys will have a blast. If I figure out something before the event, I'll let you know.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
pcw
Instructor

That's what grandparents are for I just became a grandfather for the second time 2 weeks ago and would gladly watch my grandkids for a day.

pcw
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Oh Phil, you silly man, you MUST know what would happen to me if I try to alter an event that a group of women planned months ago.

I can't complain, my wife never gives me grief about going to the track.

Thanks for hosting the event, though, I know you guys will have a blast. If I figure out something before the event, I'll let you know.
I understand. I drove the route yesterday. Fun drive.

1st leg is 28.7 miles and about 50 minutes. We will stop for a short break at a place called The Junction.

The second leg is 26.8 miles and about 40 minutes. We will stop at the Lick Observatory and take some pictures. The view is amazing and there is a great spot to line up the cars and get the telescope dome in the background.

The third leg is 10.6 miles and about 20 minutes. This is the Joseph D Grant County Park. There is a nice tree covered parking area (San Felipe Group Area) that would be another good photo opp. Depending upon how everyone feels at this point we could pass on this stop and continue on.

The fourth leg is 8.4 miles and about 15 minutes. There is an area on Alum Rock Rd we can pull over to the side all in a line. We can take one last photo and say our goodbyes before we get on the highway. There is also a gas station nearby.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Saw the white spyder in dowtown walnut creek again. I took a closer look:

White, sport P77 seats, PDK, standard red brakes, silver spyder wheels
Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
bensf
Racer

I just saw a black one with red wheels heading northbound on 101 near Palo Alto. Female driver wearing a cap.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

That car was for sale at Stevens Creek for a while I believe. I remember seeing it in the showroom. Looked pretty cool and unique with the red wheels.

Quick Reply: How many Spyders in the SF Bay Area?