Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Simon Selbie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter Problem

Hi folks,
I have a 2005 Boxster S.
I'm having a problem with my short shifter that was installed by the p.o. at 18,000 kilometers (11,250 miles). Car now has 41,000 km (25,625 miles).
Problem is intermittent. I am having trouble slelecting gears, predominately downshifting from 6th to 5th.
I have removed the shifter from the car and found the following:
Metal filings on the carpet from the shifter wearing against the inside of the housing.
I found a nylon washer laying loose on the carpet beneath the shifter. I cannot identify where it came from and it seems strange that it was left there when the shifter was installed.
There are cuts on the rubber boot that encapulates the swivel limkage.
Besides these things, I am unable to identify any obvious problems with the shifter.
Any advice or insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Simon
Attached Images      
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's obvious this was due to a bad install. Take it to the dealership and get it reinstalled. It took my dealership 3X to get it right . The alignment needs to be perfect in order for the shifter to engage correctly. If the dealership doesn't get it perfect bring it back to them for re-alignment.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Since that shifter looks like an after market unit, you're prob better off replacing the short shifter unit. Either buy something like the b&m or pay more and get the OE short shift kit. Since the shifter cage is already cut for aftermarket shifter, I'd say get another aftermarket shifter and replace this. G luck.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with Lithium, solve the problem by picking up an OE shifter and putting it in. You can pick up a used OE standard shifter easily or buy a new short shifter for just over $400.

I just put the OE SSK in and am very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Problem