Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Wind Deflector - installation pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default OEM Wind Deflector - installation pics

If you guys want to install a wind deflector, here's some pics.
I bought this from a P9 member for cheap.. make sure you asked if there's mounting kit included.. that would cost you an additional $50+ ...
mounting kit part number for all 987 - 98756190102
still cheap compared to the retail of $450..lol

tools needed - Rivetter, flathead screwdriver..

First open the top,put the seats all the way towards the front and remove all the headrest pads.. puling them out, in my case they were easy, but I saw some posts that they had a hardtime pulling it out..

987's comes with predrilled holes for the mounting kit..

Line up the mounting kit..

kit comes with 4 rivets, use a rivetter to install the kit..

left side -
right side -

this small piece needs to be installed on the middle cover using rivets provided..

the kit comes with 8 new plastic pieces , replace all 8.. the old ones will get damaged when the headrest cover gets removes...

reinstall all 3 piece headrest pads/cover..same way

finish side view

install the wind deflector in the middle slot, sorry i havent cleaned the glass..lol

that;s it, installed pics..

now better to commute with the top down
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice Alex, thank you for posting this.

I haven't tried my car without the wind deflector but I hear that the difference is significant. Cool thing is that it's easy to remove if you want to.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM
ensoll
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I realize this thread is very old but in my searching around, this one was the most helpful illustration I found for the Porsche Wind Stop installation on my own new to me 987 Boxster.

The mistake I made was using my curled up hand into a fist to try popping the pads back into place after the hardware was installed. I managed to strike the first pad at the wrong angle and bend the posts pressed into the thin aluminum backing. Upon trying to straighten one of them, the post actually loosened and fell in!

I ended up having to drill and widen a good sized hole near the mounting hole to get the post out and use for reinsertion. Luckily, the posts are threaded 4mm x.75mm so I was able to use stainless steel nuts to hold the posts in place. Once assembled, I covered the hole with some good adhesive tape just in case water ever gets down there.

The moral of the story is to be sure to use a light weight rubber mallet, or similar, to reinstall the pads. Your fists aren't the right tools for this job.

I hope this helps someone else down the road.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: OEM Wind Deflector - installation pics