Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dspyda.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donovan's site (from everything I can tell) is based on Apple's products for web site authoring, which are fairly straight forward to manage. In fact, I would bet we could reinstate the site with little effort if he was willing to provide the content in it's native Apple format once we identified a hosting service.

So, if someone has a good relationship with him and we could get the content, I'd be willing to perform the technical work to get things up and running. That said, I don't have all the Porsche connections and won't be attending every car show, despite my enthusiasm for the Spyder. Content is a big part of the site and will ultimately determine its relevancy. So, if we have folks contributing, I can push the content from time to time.

Let me know who's got the connections with Donovan. If we can't get the content, and we're starting from scratch, it's a bit more, but I can explore that as well. I have the Apple tools here and think I could tackle the technical task.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

HI

I have just bought a Spyer and doing a web site for them

it's here, just a holding page atm

http://www.clubspyder.co.uk/
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbey
Donovan's site (from everything I can tell) is based on Apple's products for web site authoring, which are fairly straight forward to manage. In fact, I would bet we could reinstate the site with little effort if he was willing to provide the content in it's native Apple format once we identified a hosting service.

So, if someone has a good relationship with him and we could get the content, I'd be willing to perform the technical work to get things up and running. That said, I don't have all the Porsche connections and won't be attending every car show, despite my enthusiasm for the Spyder. Content is a big part of the site and will ultimately determine its relevancy. So, if we have folks contributing, I can push the content from time to time.

Let me know who's got the connections with Donovan. If we can't get the content, and we're starting from scratch, it's a bit more, but I can explore that as well. I have the Apple tools here and think I could tackle the technical task.
Jabbey this would be awesome and I know it will be really appreciated by many of us Spyder fans. I really don't have a Donavan's contact information, but if someone does have it I would be happy to send him an email. Last I heard he bought an Audi TTRS.

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
HI

I have just bought a Spyer and doing a web site for them

it's here, just a holding page atm

http://www.clubspyder.co.uk/
Please definitely keep us posted on your progress and let us know if we can help out.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Last I heard he bought an Audi TTRS.
I thought he ditched the PTS spyder for financial reasons? Now he has a TTRS? 3 cars in less than 6 months? Two of which were the same car? Like I said, I'll never understand it...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I thought he ditched the PTS spyder for financial reasons? Now he has a TTRS? 3 cars in less than 6 months? Two of which were the same car? Like I said, I'll never understand it...
+1
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

In the interim until a new site is built I have posted the spreadsheet I have to google documents. It is public and should be viewable to everyone. I can easily post updates to it or make it editable with a login. Thoughts?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I also have a TTRS, a very under est car.

I have a tune on it and it does 30-60MPh in 1.89 seconds lol it's faster than most things inc 911's makes a GT3 look slow :-)

goes great with my spyder.
email me any info you have on them info at ultimasystems.co.uk

I would like http://www.clubspyder.co.uk to be the place where people want to know about them.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM
pcw
Instructor

I know Donavan came from a TT before the Spyder, maybe the real world daily driving with the Spyder was just to much for him up in the northwest. I have come to the realization that the Spyder will be one of the only cars I will keep, most of the time I get a new car every 2 years.

pcw
Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I also have a TTRS, a very under est car.

I have a tune on it and it does 30-60MPh in 1.89 seconds lol it's faster than most things inc 911's makes a GT3 look slow :-)

goes great with my spyder.
email me any info you have on them info at ultimasystems.co.uk

I would like http://www.clubspyder.co.uk to be the place where people want to know about them.
From everything I have read about the TTRS it is a very fast and capable car. Much of its capabilities come from using advanced electronics to improve car control and acceleration which means it doesn't require as much effort to achieve maximum performance. Do you find this to be the case also? How does it compare to the Spyder? I have a friend that just had his TTRS delivered last week, he was approached by Donovan about the possibility of creating a TTRS website months ago, that is why I think he has a TTRS now. I haven't confirmed this since I have no contact with Donovan.

If you want to take the lead on creating a Spyder website and you have the capabilities I'm sure we would all support you. It would be nice if we could differentiate the VIN#'s for regions of the world based on Continents the car is located. That would be really cool!

Originally Posted by pcw
I know Donavan came from a TT before the Spyder, maybe the real world daily driving with the Spyder was just to much for him up in the northwest. I have come to the realization that the Spyder will be one of the only cars I will keep, most of the time I get a new car every 2 years.

pcw
Interesting comment about the Spyder being a keeper. When I owned my 500E and my second 928 I said the same thing and I ended up selling both of those. Granted neither car had everything I wanted like the Spyder does and I wasn't able to order either car the way I wanted so I had to live with what was available. It's hard to say what the future will bring and how your tastes will change. At this point in my life I also think the Spyder is a keeper and pushes all the right buttons. I feel lucky that I was able to get one the way I wanted.

But I won't take back what I said about the 500E, I eventually will add another to the stable to sit next to (or below) the Spyder.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Marine Blue I sent you the contact I had for Donavon..
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Last I heard he bought an Audi TTRS.
I have not heard from Donavan since he sold his 'Riviera Blue' Spyder. But it would surprise me very much if he replaced his second Spyder with an Audi TTRS. The reason is that when he was selling his first 'Carrara White' Spyder, he posted here (on 7/2011) the reason for the sale:"I've been kiteboarding more and more and I need something more functional. I will miss my baby but I personally can't justify having multiple vehicles at my financial state." An Audi TTRS is not more functional and we know he previously had an Audi TT, so it couldn't have come as a surprise!

It is not that difficult to imagine why Donavan bought the 'Riviera Blue' Spyder at Walter's later that same summer. He had tried to order a PTS Spyder back in March and PAG/PCNA messed around with his order until the PTS deadline came & went! So when he saw the spec 'Riviera Blue' Spyder, he decided to get it. Soon reality set in again and he sold it. And cheap too! I think he would be the first one to admit now he could have gotten all of his money out of it had he marketed his car correctly. Instead of posting the sale at this forum, 6Speed, Teamspeed and Planet 9 (all forums he had often frequented), he decided to put a stealth ad in Rennlist Classifieds https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...er-spyder.html He had paid full MSRP to Walter's ($79K+), plus transport from Riverside to Portland, OR & cost of an invisible bra and the expensive OEM Sport Exhaust he transferred from his first Spyder! So why didn't he advertised the sale all over the internet? Well, here is what I think contributed to his reticence. Over at the Planet 9 site, where the membership doesn't seem to be (in my opinion) as mature or sophisticated as it is here at Rennlist, Donavan got a lot of flack from one particular guy named Tre (also from Portland, OR) for selling his Carrara White Spyder (see post #39). http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-landed-2.html. These forums are open to anyone and you often see individuals take umbrage for inane reasons. So I understand why he may have wanted to keep his second sale under the radar. But all of this stealth may have made Donavan suffer an almost $10K hit that I don't think he needed to take on the sale of his beautiful & unique 'Riviera Blue' Spyder! As you all know, this car has since sold two other times and is now residing in Pennsylvania!

Be that as it may, it would be nice if Donavan could transfer the information from his now defunct site to others so that the original intent of the Dspyda concept can be useful to all other owners and prospective owners throughout the world!

Saludos, z356
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
pcw
Instructor

It really doesn't matter why, financial reasons, wanting something different, who cares. People just need to worry about themselves, it's his money, if he takes a hit, oh well, his lost, someone's gain. Donavan was a good guy and offered a lot to this forum while he was here, if he decided to move on to something else, more power to him. daspyda.com was a great resource and would have been nice of him to offer it to someone to take over, but then again, he created it and did all the work, so you can't really complain about it....

pcw
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcw
It really doesn't matter why, financial reasons, wanting something different, who cares. People just need to worry about themselves, it's his money, if he takes a hit, oh well, his lost, someone's gain. Donavan was a good guy and offered a lot to this forum while he was here, if he decided to move on to something else, more power to him. daspyda.com was a great resource and would have been nice of him to offer it to someone to take over, but then again, he created it and did all the work, so you can't really complain about it....

pcw
+1

I'm going to send him an email to see if we can't get any of the web data and pictures for the new website.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

fellas, what's this?:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/...5&sc=documents

Who put this together? I just realized I bookmarked this A LONG time ago and noticed it today
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had saved the following link which is a very basic Spyder Registry: https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/...5&sc=documents

From the looks of it there were about 700 built. There are details for some of them but unfortunately not all of them. I'm not sure who is managing this one.
Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
That was a list I started but i've been remiss in updating it when cars show up on ebay...
fellas, what's this?:

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx/...5&sc=documents

Who put this together? I just realized I bookmarked this A LONG time ago and noticed it today
See above....

Quick Reply: dspyda.com