Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

2011 Spyder...can I add bluetooth...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2011 Spyder...can I add bluetooth...

Can I add or retrofit bluetooth to my Spyder? It's a 2011 and was ordered without.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm interested in this too. My Spyder came without the bluetooth. My dealer said it couldn't be done. I would need to buy an entire new radio. Personally I think it should be doable. The speaker on the steering column is already there.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into this when I first got my spyder. I got nowhere, without a real answer. I agree, it should be plug and play.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this question ever answered? I want to add Bluetooth to my MY12 Spyder...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:13 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Are you guys talking about bluetooth phone, or BT audio? Mine came with phone, but not audio. I went to great lengths to see if I could add audio, but came the conclusion that it could not be done using factory gear. That said, I installed this
Amazon Amazon
into both my RS60 and my old Cayenne and it worked really well for both phone and audio.

Have not done it in my Spyder but I can recommend it as a solution if you really want to add.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:27 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

How does that install? I notice most of the kits draw power from the "cigarette" lighter but will continue to draw after the car is shut off.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by daylorb
Are you guys talking about bluetooth phone, or BT audio? Mine came with phone, but not audio. I went to great lengths to see if I could add audio, but came the conclusion that it could not be done using factory gear. That said, I installed this https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands...mple+bluetooth into both my RS60 and my old Cayenne and it worked really well for both phone and audio.

Have not done it in my Spyder but I can recommend it as a solution if you really want to add.
Mine came with a radio, but no BT. Trying to integrate BT into the system...

- Mike
Old 08-29-2018, 01:48 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
How does that install? I notice most of the kits draw power from the "cigarette" lighter but will continue to draw after the car is shut off.
You don't want to do that.... for power you run an add-a-fuse off of a switched fuse. Similar to installing a radar detector or even something like an AIM Solo. It shuts off when the car shuts off.

This particular unit gets hard-wired to the antenna input - you then choose an FM channel for it to come through. The sound is very, very good - unlike those that broadcast an FM signal. It comes with a small green button that serves as on/off switch and call acceptance/hang-up for phone.

I had mine professionally installed - it is not a hard install but hard enough where I didn't want to deal with it. They also run a mic up to your visor for phone conversations.

Quite frankly I used it ONLY for audio - not for phone. I got one of these for phone and it worked incredibly well...
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Guys - sorry but I just have to step in. Here's my thoughts:
1. My previous Spyder had Bluetooth but the lack of insulation, thin "sun shade" top, road noise, and the great sounding PSE made it a bit ridiculous to use. IMO Spyders and Bluetooth just don't seem to work well in the same sentence or in the actual car.
2. If you don't have PSE - spend your money on that. It sounds much better than a Bluetooth phone.
3. If the above options don't work then pick up a small Bluetooth visor speaker. They work great and will get your through in a pinch.

P.s. I'm yanking my radio this winter and installing the OEM storage box. More storage space is something I would love.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Guys - sorry but I just have to step in. Here's my thoughts:
1. My previous Spyder had Bluetooth but the lack of insulation, thin "sun shade" top, road noise, and the great sounding PSE made it a bit ridiculous to use. IMO Spyders and Bluetooth just don't seem to work well in the same sentence or in the actual car.
2. If you don't have PSE - spend your money on that. It sounds much better than a Bluetooth phone.
3. If the above options don't work then pick up a small Bluetooth visor speaker. They work great and will get your through in a pinch.

P.s. I'm yanking my radio this winter and installing the OEM storage box. More storage space is something I would love.

Thanks for listening.
Good advice... and you caught my attention with "OEM storage box." Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

- Mike
Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Harley
Good advice... and you caught my attention with "OEM storage box." Sounds interesting. Do you have a link?

- Mike
Check this out Mike: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...367100A05.html

Old 08-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sweet! Please post pics when complete... as that's something I'd like to do.

- Mike

Quick Reply: 2011 Spyder...can I add bluetooth...