Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top won't open after service appointment

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
ken1.9
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at my purchase summary & found the seller and that he is still listing them. He calls them "Porsche plastic caps Top push rod pivot Boxster 986 987" and he is from the Nederlands. I read a recommendation about these on either this site or one like it and I was impressed with them and how quickly they arrived. The envelope had been opened and then taped closed by Homeland Security. My car is an 08 Boxster so I'm sure it is the same as yours but I wonder if it isn't the same for the 986 since he list it also. Good luck
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ken1.9
I looked at my purchase summary & found the seller and that he is still listing them. He calls them "Porsche plastic caps Top push rod pivot Boxster 986 987" and he is from the Nederlands. I read a recommendation about these on either this site or one like it and I was impressed with them and how quickly they arrived. The envelope had been opened and then taped closed by Homeland Security. My car is an 08 Boxster so I'm sure it is the same as yours but I wonder if it isn't the same for the 986 since he list it also. Good luck
Wish I knew about these sooner! Looks like it would have saved me about $250! Something to keep in mind for the next time they break I guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_628wt_1299

Jason
Old 11-14-2011, 04:31 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ken, and Jfox if you are in Atlanta I need to buy you both a few beers.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66mustang
Is this what broke on yours?
Wow... if this plastic ball cup is all that's needed, if someone measures the dimensions of this ball cup, I bet we can get that from radio control car parts for super cheap and MUCH more durable since RC's experience much more stress...

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. Note that there are many examples of these types of RC parts that could work...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nd-Set-Baja-5B

Certainly better than paying $75 for one plus $150/hr for installation.

Again, if someone could measure the original part, I bet we can find a corresponding RC car part that would be much stronger...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure stonger is better in this situation. the top is under a lot of stress, and should have some pieces that break. If these can't break something will get bent. I am sure that will cost much more in the long run.

Quick Reply: Top won't open after service appointment