Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster naked out in the open!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,617 Likes on 889 Posts
Default New Boxster naked out in the open!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/2...y-undisguised/

It's hideous IMHO... way over designed.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, that looks REALLY good. If they make a spyder version....
Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks ok. Not sure about that line right through the tail lights. Side vents are supersized and looks like it is from a supercar.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

what a great looking car, sign me up. Love the side profile and the rear. Looks like a mini GT.
Now imagine it in Maritime with carbon buckets etc, a Spyder of this, OMG!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I like it and I think it's a very nice progression from the current car. It's not enough to make me want to sell the Spyder but it's definitely nice.

The front looks very similar to the current, side intake is a nice change and the rear looks nicer too.

I agree that the wing cutting into the light looks odd but I want to see it in person.

I will say I'm glad I bought the Spyder, very happy with the overall package.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

My biggest complaint is most of the seams don't line up... it looks frankensteined.
The roll bar looks wacky too. I'm even more happy I have my '12 Spyder now... and that's saying a lot as I'm usually the first person to leap to the next new thing.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

For the lazy...

[/QUOTE]
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Not perfect, but certainly looks good. I especially like the large side intakes.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm glad they have given the Boxster bespoke doors instead of the parts sharing they previously did with the 911. I think I also see round interior vents, as before, wonder about the center consol and if Nav will be standard like the 911, me doubts that.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it, but something looks strange in the first picture. The front end looks like it is sitting too high. Almost like it has the front end lifters like a Lambo.

I love the spoiler and the way t cuts through the lights
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
My biggest complaint is most of the seams don't line up... it looks frankensteined.
The roll bar looks wacky too. I'm even more happy I have my '12 Spyder now... and that's saying a lot as I'm usually the first person to leap to the next new thing.
The front and rear bumper lines match up but the side intake doesn't, it' sits higher. But overall the lines flow well. Which seams are you referring to that don't line up?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Not bad. I too am looking forward to a 981 (?) Spyder.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Odd cut lines ahead of the rear wheels, and the Carrera GT intakes are a tad overdone, IMO. While I don't dislike the rear spoiler concept, it seems a bit low visually. At least they didn't botch the rear lights, like they did on the 991. The Cayman should look great. If they do a Spyder, with those intakes and chunky roll bars, it will look very much like a Carrera GT. Maybe too much. Surprised there is not more 918 in the design; perhaps this came off the drawing board first.

Still concerned about the interior, though. The spy shots that were floating around months ago were quite ugly, and the vertical-rectangular dash vents in those photos seem to be present here (with a sport chrono timer in between).
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
The roll bar looks wacky too.
Correct. There is a vague resemblance to the super sturdy / 'heavy' roll bars of the BMW Z4.

http://www.supercars.dk/cars/bmw/bmw-z4-wallpapers.jpg

I will reserve judgement until we see it person (perhaps Detroit Auto Show in Jan of 2012).

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
I too am looking forward to a 981 (?) Spyder.
I don't expect a Spyder version for a long while (e.g. MY2015 at the earliest), if ever. Porsche has a tradition of slowly developing 'excitement' over the lifetime of any new platform. If history is a guide, they will be rolling out the sportiest chassis and motors towards the end of the new platform's life.

Re: my 'if ever' comment. We have briefly touched on this subject here before. The uniqueness of the Spyder is a combination of brilliant engineering with the suspension (shock valving & springs, etc) plus the lightness of the chassis. Its most critical component, the bimini top that weights only around 13 pounds and is removed & installed manually, makes it a limited 'niche' market product in an age of 'push button' fully automatic convertible tops. It is not clear to me, regardless of the critical acclaim it gathered among some dedicated enthusiasts and the motoring press, if Porsche considered it a worthy financial endeavor overall. It only sold around 2000 Spyders worldwide and perhaps fewer than 800/850 in the US. The latter is the primary market for all of these 'sunshine/fair weather' products since the 356 Speedster was introduced back in 1954. Given the upcoming '550' entry-level VW/Audi/Porsche which apparently has been given the green light, they may decide to do a 'Spyder' version of this model, rather than try it again with the 981 Boxster. I would expect, however, a 981 Cayman R version sometime in the future. We will see. It is all speculation now.

z356
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by Z356
Correct. There is a vague resemblance to the super sturdy / 'heavy' roll bars of the BMW Z4.

http://www.supercars.dk/cars/bmw/bmw-z4-wallpapers.jpg

I will reserve judgement until we see it person (perhaps Detroit Auto Show in Jan of 2012).

I don't expect a Spyder version for a long while (e.g. MY2015 at the earliest), if ever. Porsche has a tradition of slowly developing 'excitement' over the lifetime of any new platform. If history is a guide, they will be rolling out the sportiest chassis and motors towards the end of the new platform's life.

Re: my 'if ever' comment. We have briefly touched on this subject here before. The uniqueness of the Spyder is a combination of brilliant engineering with the suspension (shock valving & springs, etc) plus the lightness of the chassis. Its most critical component, the bimini top that weights only around 13 pounds and is removed & installed manually, makes it a limited 'niche' market product in an age of 'push button' fully automatic convertible tops. It is not clear to me, regardless of the critical acclaim it gathered among some dedicated enthusiasts and the motoring press, if Porsche considered it a worthy financial endeavor overall. It only sold around 2000 Spyders worldwide and perhaps fewer than 800/850 in the US. The latter is the primary market for all of these 'sunshine/fair weather' products since the 356 Speedster was introduced back in 1954. Given the upcoming '550' entry-level VW/Audi/Porsche which apparently has been given the green light, they may decide to do a 'Spyder' version of this model, rather than try it again with the 981 Boxster. I would expect, however, a 981 Cayman R version sometime in the future. We will see. It is all speculation now.

z356

They voluntarily limited Spyder production to 2000, I am sure they could have sold more if they hadn't. Besides, by that logic, the GT2 RS was a sales failure because they only sold 250 of them!

Quick Reply: New Boxster naked out in the open!