Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red '12 Spyder - Tale of a custom order!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:15 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful Boxster Spyder...in fact, stunning!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

So amazing!!!! Love the garage and love the view from the bedroom!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default MSRP on this Spyder

Window Sticker on this Spyder - First, let me start by saying that I believe that most options on a Spyder are unnecessary to achieve the great rewards of Spyder ownership. If there was ever a car where the cliche 'Less is More' applies, it's this model from Porsche. The beauty of this car is that in just base form ($61800 in MY2012 / $61,200 in MY2011), you got the lightest body Porsche makes, a unique non-PASM suspension, spectacular carbon fiber sport buckets and an exceptional weight to power ratio...and you are ready to 'roll'! That is the best bang for the bucks that Porsche has offered in a very long time! So, nothing that you will see as 'options' on this Monroney is necessary, vital or significant. It is just pure icing on the cake!

But icing can add twist of spice to any good carrot cake. The first options I chose were the 'Sport Exhaust', 'Sport Shifter' and 'Sport Chrono'. This is my second experience with 'Sport Exhaust' and 'Sport Chrono' - I had both in the 997.1 Carrera S. They are both delightful additions to the character of the vehicle. I collect Heuer Rally chrono timepieces, so the 'wart' is to me very attractive, reminding me of the rally watches found in vintage cars in earlier years. This is my first try at the 'Sport Shifter'. I am surprise how well it works. It does NOT seem 'notchy' at all and I wonder if they have improved it for MY2012. If you order 'Sport Chrono', you must choose the CDR-30 Radio to control the functions of 'SC'. That radio / computer screen unit is 'no cost', but to hear anything you need to order the 'Sound Package Plus' at $700. 'Bluetooth' and 'Universal Audio Interface' (e.g. Ipod connection) is also a 'no cost' option.

'Bi-Xenons', with dynamic corner system, is a pricey option at $1560. I had some fun with this option by having the mandated spray nuzzles painted in 'Guards Red' (at $295) to match the rear hooks (which come painted in Guards Red on all Spyders, regardless exterior color) for attaching the Bimini top. 'Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensors' cost $690. It is ordered quite often on the Spyders and most other Porsche models. Just a convenience which you can't retrofit later on.

'Park Assist in the Rear' is a seldom ordered option on a Spyder. I remember Savyboy telling me he wished he had ordered it on his '11 Spyder. So I decided to add this beeping sensor to my order. If it prevents me just one little scratch on my rear bumper over the life of my ownership of this car, it will have paid for itself!

'Automatic Climate Control' is a controversial option. 99% of all Spyders have been ordered with it. It adds some 26 plus pounds (I think) but you rarely see even the most sporty of Porsches today - whether a gt3 RS or a Spyder - without it. I think mostly because one is afraid of being penalized for not having it at resale. It will come handy on any long interstate travel between Carmel and Colorado via Western deserts! And if I add an after-market light weight Lithium-Ion Battery (the $1700+ factory one is a bit controversial), I can make up for some of that added A/C weight!

The 'SportDesign Steering Wheel' was only $250. This was not offered on manual Spyders in MY2011, so it is unique to MY2012 Spyders with the standard transmission. I find it quite attractive and it looks pretty distinctive with my Carrera Red interior since it has a red colored body (as opposed to a black body on the standard Spyder wheel).

There are $9500 worth of 'Porsche Exclusive' options on this car. Some are quite familiar to all - the 'Sport Exhaust' at $2810, the 'Sport Shifter' at $795, the 'Porsche Crest Emboss Headrests' at $285 and the 'Additional Alcantara Interior Package' (for the doors) at $655. Note that the 'Sport Exhaust' is a 'Porsche Exclusive' part - not a regular option available via series production. It was tested and developed by 'Porsche Exclusive' at the request of its customers. As you may remember, when the optional .2 997 Sport Exhaust came out on the DFI engines, customers complained that it didn't sound as good as it did on the .1 997. That is why 'Porsche Exclusive' (not series production!) stepped in and developed a new Sport Exhaust for the Spyder's DFI engine. It has been so successful that (it's my understanding) they were given the right to develop the new Export Exhaust for the 991.

The rest of the 'Porsche Exclusive' options are what makes this interior so unusual: 'Carpeting in Deviating Color', 'Defroster Trim in Leather', 'Gear Lever Trim in Leather', 'Steering Column Casing Leather', 'Leather Sunvisors', 'Rear View Mirror in Leather' and the 'Customizing Package' (leather door sills and console bin lid). I will discuss this aspect of order on the next post and explain my interactions with 'Porsche Exclusive' as I pondered what to order on this Spyder!

Saludos, z356
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 09-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Impressive. I would have expected the options to have costed you a lot more than it did. Good to know for the future!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Window Sticker on this Spyder - First, let me start by saying that I believe that most options on a Spyder are unnecessary to achieve the great rewards of Spyder ownership. If there was ever a car where the cliche 'Less is More' applies, it's this model from Porsche. The beauty of this car is that in just base form ($61800 in MY2012 / $61,200 in MY2011), you got the lightest body Porsche makes, a unique non-PASM suspension, spectacular carbon fiber sport buckets and an exceptional weight to power ratio...and you are ready to 'roll'! That is the best bang for the bucks that Porsche has offered in a very long time! So, nothing that you will see as 'options' on this Monroney is necessary, vital or significant. It is just pure icing on the cake!

But icing can add twist of spice to any good carrot cake. The first options I chose were the 'Sport Exhaust', 'Sport Shifter' and 'Sport Chrono'. This is my second experience with 'Sport Exhaust' and 'Sport Chrono' - I had both in the 997.1 Carrera S. They are both delightful additions to the character of the vehicle. I collect Heuer Rally chrono timepieces, so the 'wart' is to me very attractive, reminding me of the rally watches found in vintage cars in earlier years. This is my first try at the 'Sport Shifter'. I am surprise how well it works. It does NOT seem 'notchy' at all and I wonder if they have improved it for MY2012. If you order 'Sport Chrono', you must choose the CDR-30 Radio to control the functions of 'SC'. That radio / computer screen unit is 'no cost', but to hear anything you need to order the 'Sound Package Plus' at $700. 'Bluetooth' and 'Universal Audio Interface' (e.g. Ipod connection) is also a 'no cost' option.

'Bi-Xenons', with dynamic corner system, is a pricey option at $1560. I had some fun with this option by having the mandated spray nuzzles painted in 'Guards Red' (at $295) to match the rear hooks (which come painted in Guards Red on all Spyders, regardless exterior color) for attaching the Bimini top. 'Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensors' cost $690. It is ordered quite often on the Spyders and most other Porsche models. Just a convenience which you can't retrofit later on.

'Park Assist in the Rear' is a seldom ordered option on a Spyder. I remember Savyboy telling me he wished he had ordered it on his '11 Spyder. So I decided to add this beeping sensor to my order. If it prevents me just one little scratch on my rear bumper over the life of my ownership of this car, it will have paid for itself!

'Automatic Climate Control' is a controversial option. 99% of all Spyders have been ordered with it. It adds some 26 plus pounds (I think) but you rarely see even the most sporty of Porsches today - whether a gt3 RS or a Spyder - without it. I think mostly because one is afraid of being penalized for not having it at resale. It will come handy on any long interstate travel between Carmel and Colorado via Western deserts! And if I add an after-market light weight Lithium-Ion Battery (the $1700+ factory one is a bit controversial), I can make up for some of that added A/C weight!

The 'SportDesign Steering Wheel' was only $250. This was not offered on manual Spyders in MY2011, so it is unique to MY2012 Spyders with the standard transmission. I find it quite attractive and it looks pretty distinctive with my Carrera Red interior since it has a red colored body (as opposed to a black body on the standard Spyder wheel).

There are $9500 worth of 'Porsche Exclusive' options on this car. Some are quite familiar to all - the 'Sport Exhaust' at $2810, the 'Sport Shifter' at $795, the 'Porsche Crest Emboss Headrests' at $285 and the 'Additional Alcantara Interior Package' (for the doors) at $655. Note that the 'Sport Exhaust' is a 'Porsche Exclusive' part - not a regular option available via series production. It was tested and developed by 'Porsche Exclusive' at the request of its customers. As you may remember, when the optional .2 997 Sport Exhaust came out on the DFI engines, customers complained that it didn't sound as good as it did on the .1 997. That is why 'Porsche Exclusive' (not series production!) stepped in and developed a new Sport Exhaust for the Spyder's DFI engine. It has been so successful that (it's my understanding) they were given the right to develop the new Export Exhaust for the 991.

The rest of the 'Porsche Exclusive' options are what makes this interior so unusual: 'Carpeting in Deviating Color', 'Defroster Trim in Leather', 'Gear Lever Trim in Leather', 'Steering Column Casing Leather', 'Leather Sunvisors', 'Rear View Mirror in Leather' and the 'Customizing Package' (leather door sills and console bin lid). I will discuss this aspect of order on the next post and explain my interactions with 'Porsche Exclusive' as I pondered what to order on this Spyder!

Saludos, z356

PS Let me know if the attached MSRP pdf does not work.
All very interesting, thanks for sharing & drawing it out too
Question off topic, the green engine cover in the garage? Does that mean the PtS Carrera orginally did not have an aerokit?

PS beautiful abode.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my MY2012 Spyder since August 20th. I have Sport Chrono and CDR-30. How are they linked? I thought you only had integration between SC and the PCM, no? Waiting for enlightenment! Not that being in the dark on this has detracted from any amount of enjoyment. I'm elated with the Spyder and I'm so glad I shifted my target from the 997.2. The Spyder is truly special, and yours is sublime. Excellent choice.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great write up Eduardo and great option choices. My wife loved the color combo and the mix of red/alcantara inside.

You mention that the Sports Exhaust on the Spyder differs from other DFI Boxsters, is that right? I can tell you that EVERYONE that has gone for a ride in my Spyder has commented on the exhaust not and music it creates. It sounds sooooo goooooood and not harsh at all. I find myself down shifting just to hear it.

Absolutely love the garage! Definitely a good home for the Spyder.

Enjoy in good health.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Question off topic, the green engine cover in the garage? Does that mean the PtS Carrera orginally did not have an aerokit?
Correct. My 2007 PTS .1 997 Carrera S came without the aerokit. It was added (factory front & rear) at the dealer after the first owner - my friend - bought it new. One of only three 'Signal Green' .1 997 that we know of in the US.

Originally Posted by jabbey
I've had my MY2012 Spyder since August 20th. I have Sport Chrono and CDR-30. How are they linked? I thought you only had integration between SC and the PCM, no?
My understanding is that Sport Chrono provides certain information and functions that need EITHER the CDR-30 or PCM unit to program, control and view these Sport Chrono capabilities. Perhaps others more tech savvy can give you a more informed answer.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You mention that the Sports Exhaust on the Spyder differs from other DFI Boxsters, is that right?
No, I said DFI .2 997's. I think you can order the same 'Sport Exhaust' developed by 'Porsche Exclusive' on all the newer Boxsters and Caymans, including the Cayman R. It is apparently different from the 'SE' one could get on the .2 997's (e.g. GTS). However, I think very few regular Boxsters actually are ordered with 'SE' due to the hight cost ($2810). On the Spyders and Cayman R's, it fits the character of the model better...and thus you see it ordered more often. However, note how few of the last VIN # Spyders in my previous thread were actually ordered with the optional 'Sport Exhaust' by the dealers on cars NOT pre-sold.

Saludos, z356
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 AM
1303RS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo,
What a stunning car! Excellent Package. Its great to see something different. I also like your signal green 997 but my favorite is your Signal yellow 73T. That to me is the perfect! Oh yeah, the house is nice too!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thank you for the explanation on the PSE, not sure how I missed that it was originally developed for the 997. I think I need to get my eyes checked

On your window sticker I see "Customization Package DZE", what options are covered under this?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 1303RS
I also like your signal green 997 but my favorite is your Signal yellow 73T. That to me is the perfect!
Thank you. There are not that many cars where you can get away with these spectacular M & M colors on their exteriors. Certain Porsches are the exception. Of the over 18+ Porsches I have owned, the colors have includes 'Signal Red' (356 C Cabriolet), 'Signal Green' (997.1) and 'Signal Yellow' (911T). I have 'Signal Orange' (another early 911 color) to go! The 'Crystal Blue' (911E Targa) beats them all for exclusivity. That is a very rare color. Only 14 cars were painted by the factory in that color in 1970!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
On your window sticker I see "Customization Package DZE", what options are covered under this?
Package DZE includes just the special door sills and the console bin lid in leather. I will explain the way these special DZ+ packages (e.g. DZB or DZE) are configured in a future post. It will give you an insight unto how 'Porsche Exclusive' prices unusual requests not normally offered in the 'configurator' or via dealer's 'order guides'. z356
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I think you can order the same 'Sport Exhaust' developed by 'Porsche Exclusive' on all the newer Boxsters and Caymans, including the Cayman R. It is apparently different from the 'SE' one could get on the .2 997's (e.g. GTS).

Saludos, z356
There are no interchangeable exhaust parts between Boxsters and 911s. Totally different layout between the mid and rear engine setups. Different muffler locations and shapes altogether. So when designing mufflers for each model, the designers would start with a clean sheet. No need to even look at the other model's setup.

Sounds like you had some fun making this order Eduardo!

Thanks for taking the time to share the process with us. Look forward to reading the next chapter!

Cheers,
Phil
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RollingArt
There are no interchangeable exhaust parts between Boxsters and 911s. Totally different layout between the mid and rear engine setups. Different muffler locations and shapes altogether. So when designing mufflers for each model, the designers would start with a clean sheet. No need to even look at the other model's setup.
Correct, Phil. I just want to be perfectly clear in what I am trying to explain. The 'Porsche Exclusive' designers were not 'looking' at the SE of the .2 997 to get ideas on plumbing, they were 'listening' to the SE of that particular DFI .2 997 motor to find out what sound was coming out of the exhaust. They then thought they could engineer a better auditory stimulation for their customers. And that is what they set up to do with the 'Sport Exhaust' they designed for the Spyder (and other Boxsters/Caymans). You can verify the different origin of each system by looking at their option numbers in the PCNA configurator. The 'Sport Exhaust' on one of the few remaining MY2012 .2 997 in the system - the Black edition 911 - has the following:

Sports Exhaust System Option #176 $2,810

If you use the Configurator to spec a Spyder, you will see this:

Sport Exhaust System 'Exclusive" Option #XLF $2,810

Anything done by 'Porsche Exclusive' usually has letters as an option classification. Not always, but in general. I will explain what I learned about the entire 'Porsche Exclusive' range of options and numbering system in a future post. As an aside, I asked 'Porsche Exclusive' why they didn't darkened the exhaust tips on their 'Sport Exhaust' option to blend more with the black trim in the rear valances of our Spyders. They explained that their tips have a special nano-coating of advanced design that helps prevent carbon build-up on the exterior surfaces. They couldn't duplicate this 'advantage' with the black-out tips normally seen on the standard exhaust on the Spyder! That is the reason the tips are done in the natural metal color! In any case, that is their story and they are sticking with it.

Here is where it gets 'iffy'. I was told by a representative of 'Porsche Exclusive' this August that the new 'Sport Exhaust' option on the 991 was given to them for development. However, when you look at the PCNA configurator for the new 991, you see that this option has a regular 'series' option (# 176) and does not mention 'Exclusive' as you saw on the Spyder.

Sport Exhaust System Option #176 $2,950

So we still need to verify who is responsible for the development of this particular 'Sport Exhaust'. In any case, I hope the new 'Sport Exhaust' on the 991 sounds as good as the one on our Spyders!

Saludos, z356

Last edited by Z356; 09-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aqua blue was the colour I was looking for when I was shopping for my Spyder. My other convertible is a Sapphire Blue Miata, which looks a lot like aqua blue.

Beautiful colour in my opinion, but the Carrara white one was just about perfectly optioned (for me) and I couldn't pass up the deal.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow. Just.........wow.

When I started reading I was thinking to myself "Blue..Red?...Is he nuts?' Then I looked at the pictures. Stunning.

Well done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red '12 Spyder - Tale of a custom order!