Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Where are the last MY2012 Spyders going to the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks John, that sure helps better figure out how you got to your numbers! Yes the 241 number is a typo. I meant to write 141 as per your original Planet 9 posting which I linked.

Originally Posted by John Abbey
For Cayman R's, I have a lot less information, but if I had a good idea on the very first Cayman R, I might be able to get there. Does anyone know when the Cayman R's stopped being produced? I would think it's after July 2011 when the Spyders ended.
Cayman R's were being delivered as late as November/December of 2011. For sure the Cayman R was produced in Zuffenhausen until late Fall. I believe that there are quite a number of R's produced in it's only year of built (MY2012), both for the US market & ROW!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
MY2012 Spyder #WP0CB2A86CS745190, not previously on our list until today, has shown up for sale at Ellis in Atlanta. Comes from PCNA as executive car which probably accounts for why we didn't see in dealer inventory prior. Platinum/Black. Manual. Sport Leather/alcantara seats ?, sport exhaust, sport shifter, A/C, 496 miles! This car next VIN # after JSF101's PTS Speed Yellow Spyder!

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24483818&Log=0

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
I believe that car was on the 2012 auto show circuit (or at least the LA Auto Show last November). It is the only Spyder I have seen with the brighter Cayman R wheel finish. The Alcantara armrests without full leather are unusual as well - it is the only one I have seen with them besides mine.

I was kicking myself on the way home from the show for not noting the VIN, as this thread was relatively active not long before then.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I believe that car was on the 2012 auto show circuit (or at least the LA Auto Show last November). It is the only Spyder I have seen with the brighter Cayman R wheel finish.
Interesting point re: wheels. Has anyone else in this forum with one of the last Spyders built in July of 2011 noticed if your Spyder wheels have the brighter Cayman R finish? If this car had it, maybe all the late ones did too! I personally have not compared my Spyder wheels to an earlier built Spyder to confirm one way or another.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 07-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The brighter finish was introduced at the same time the Cayman R was introduced so it is possible that a few Spyder owners have it. Eduardo it should be easy to determine if you have it, the wheels have a metal look instead of a painted look. I personally have mixed feelings on how it would look on a Spyder. The new finish looks incredible on wheels, it makes the wheels pop! But I'm not sure it would look good on the Spyder unless you refinish the front intake trim, side intake trim and the Porsche logo on the side. These all match the wheels right now (except they're satin and not glossy).

Quick Reply: Where are the last MY2012 Spyders going to the US?