Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Damn this forum, and dang it my head hurts now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

42.5 is beyond low....its an insult and to me should tell you to move on. I thought a dealer offering me 57 the other day was rude lol. Sorry to hear that man.....
Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Well most of that is because the previous accident and higher mileage but 30k below msrp seems crazy. I think 50-55k seems more reasonable no?
I agree that the car should quickly sell in the $50 - $55k range. The deduction for mileage and accident would be baked into that price.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 AM
ClintonM3
Racer

I do not think the appraisal is way out of line. If I may, explain, since I have automobile appraisal experience.

If I was the pre-owned manager of a Porsche store, this is how I would appraise your car:
For a moment, lets take the accident out of the equation. Lets look first into what the value of a high mileage Spyder is worth. The retail price of a higher mileage Spyder is about $60k to $63 per various websites.

However, because of the accident, this car will never be sold at $60- $63k. Because any potential customers will expect the price to be quite less due to the bad carfax. Think on the flip side for a moment, if you are a customer, and I tell you I have a Spyder for sale, with an accident histroy, what is your perception and expectation of the price?

IMO, $7k to $10k less is what you will get hit, for the accident. So the target RETAIL price for your car will be in the mid to low $50's. Lets say $53k. This is the price I will advertise on autotrader, cars.com, etc. With the bad carfax, I don't think I can advertise the car for much more than $56k.

Then you have to leave a couple grand for negotiation. Meaning, even though I am advertising for $56 to $53k on the web, the actual selling price or the transaction price will very likely be about $53k to $51k.

That means, if I take this car in on trade, and if I want to turn it around at $51-$53k. I would buy it from you at $45,900 if I want to mark up around 10%. Or $43,350 if i want to mark up around 15%. If I have to stretch, I probably wouldn't go too much beyond $47k.

Now, this is the logic that most appraiser/sales manager go thru. However, it can vary by some margin. Sorry I couldn't be more concise. If you noticed, I have a range of a couple grand in each step.

It all depends on the market, time of the year, the culture and location of the dealership, ie is it a highway store with more impulse shoppers, or is it a more remote mom and pop store? Does the dealership have a resourceful internet pressence? I would arrive at different trade in value, if I was a Champion, a Carlsen, or a Ray Catena store, as oppose to a store that only does a hand full a month.

IMO convertibles and roadster pricing is the worst right now. I would not stock any conv now. I run the risk of sitting on the car all through winter, and a model year change. Feb and March is when I will stock them.

Plus it doesnt help that you are looking at the rarest Spyder in the country. If I was your sales manager/person, and I know I am sitting on gold merchandise, sorry dude, you'll gonna pay. Is like a new iphone on launch day. Ask a guy with a 993TT or C2S.

Bottomline, you need someone to look at the car who is mostly thinking about the car, not someone who has to think about dollar signs. Your BEST option is private sale, where the buyer is not bound as much by business sense. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by ClintonM3; 08-16-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: wrong number
Old 08-16-2011, 03:29 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

That's very insightful and does make good sense. Thanks for the input. I have a few private parties interested so keeping my fingers crossed something happens soon!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Clinton thank you for the insight, that is very helpful.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Bottomline, you need someone to look at the car who is mostly thinking about the car, not someone who has to think about dollar signs. Your BEST option is private sale, where the buyer is not bound as much by business sense. Hope this helps. Good luck.
That was a great post --- and this part is the key. Thanks for that.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I do not think the appraisal is way out of line. If I may, explain, since I have automobile appraisal experience.

If I was the pre-owned manager of a Porsche store, this is how I would appraise your car:
I think there is even more to the low bid.

Chances are small that a Porsche dealer will keep a car on the lot that has had significant damage. They will probably sell it to a wholesaler, who will sell it to a used car dealer. All three will need to see some profit within a retail price in the $50-55k range.

Same bottom line, however - for top dollar, the car should go directly to an end user.

Quick Reply: Damn this forum, and dang it my head hurts now...