Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Do aftermarket wheels make sense for the Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do aftermarket wheels make sense for the Spyder?

So I was lurking in other Pcar forums, saw the pic of the silver Spyder with HRE P40 wheels. Man,those are really really nice. And now I have the bug.

Did some searching, found out the OEM Spyder wheels are 21.9375 lbs front, 23.875 lbs rear. Correct me if this is wrong. The HRE's are about 24 lbs, 25 lbs. I cannot find exact numbers. Similar styled BBS CH-R are also in the mid twenties.

Unsprung weight is obviously most important for a light weight, lower HP car like a Exige, and less important for a heavier, high HP car like a M3 or GTR. But I have read (and again, I could be wrong), a couple of pounds can rob as much as 20hp on a dyno. 5hp, can't really tell the difference. 20hp? That is like intake and flash.

What do you guys think? Are these Spyder wheels for real? For those who have aftermarket wheels, can you tell the differnece? I already looked into lighter tires, but it doesn't look like there are much lighter tires available.

I know there are even lighter wheels in the market, but they tend to look race-y. I don't want my car to look like a race car.

I might just dress up the OEM wheels. Yeah, call me Sally, I am playing dress up with my Spyder.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I have bought many aftermarket wheels in the past. However, I don't think any manufacturer makes a better looking wheel for the Spyder than the stock set up. Plus, they are very light. Like you, I have considered getting an aftermarket set, but realize I'd be wasting my money if I did. I love to mod the cars I have, but I am realizing the Spyder is near perfect as it arrives. My only mod so far is clear front lights and I can't think of anything else to do.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I have always loved the P40, almost bought a set for a 997, and considered a used set in 987 offsets prior to my Spyder arriving. I was happy with the stock setup until I saw the same pictures of the black P40 on the silver Spyder, and now I have the bug, too. But I won't spend $6k+ on a set of wheels if they weigh more than stock. Clinton, have you checked into weights of the new P40S? They are the same basic design, but with slightly thinner spokes, and promise to be a bit lighter than the P40.

Then there is the fact that roads here suck; I bent two wheels on my MB last year from potholes in my neighborhood. Forged or not, I wonder how the P40S would hold up.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Why not get another set of Spyder wheels in black? Then you can change out when you feel like it and you'll have the weight savings, great looks and a modification.

I agree, the Spyder is tough to modify and it's why I picked it. I just installed intake grills to protect the radiators and would definitely recommend it to others. I'm also considering a short shifter which I should have ordered with the car. My sales guy asked me three times if I wanted the short shifter and I said no, I wish I had listened.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh and I'm also going to look into trying to find the red alcantara inserts used in the GT3 RS 4, I think that would look cool with the red belts, door pulls and maybe the red alcantara shifter. I can swap out the seat inserts in seconds depending on my mood!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You definitely feel unsprung weight differences, even on heavier cars. Beyond acceleration and braking improvements, lower unsprung weight allows the suspension to more readily 'dance' over broken, heaving and undulating road surfaces, allowing the tires to maintain better contact with the road.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

I think all of you are right on. There is little you can do to the Spyder. I did the clear corners. I want to do the centered badge.

Is not the black wheel look I want. I think I want my wheels to look a bit more metallic. I think glossy silver painted wheels can look a little plastic-y in certain lighting.

Afshin, I might take your suggestion and just get a second set, I like the matte brushed look. I am indifferent about black wheels. I think you can't really see the spokes.

I found these numbers on a Corvette forum.
P40 Weight 19/20

19" Front 24lbs
20" Rear 29lbs

P40S Weight 19/20

19" Front 22lbs
20" Rear 27lbs

There is no way I am putting on heavier wheels.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
I am indifferent about black wheels. I think you can't really see the spokes.
+1

I find that without the contrast between silver spokes and the openings between them, black wheels just sort of blend in with the open sections of the wheels, and the beauty of their overall design is lost. Right now the Spyder wheels in silver are probably the nicest looking wheels offered by Porsche, and since they are also the lightest you really can't improve on them.

Last edited by Dino944; 07-29-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dino944
+1

If find that without the contrast between silver spokes and the openings between them, black wheels just sort of blend in with the open sections of the wheels, and the beauty of their overall design is lost. Right now the Spyder wheels in silver are probably the nicest looking wheels offered by Porsche, and since they are also the lightest you really can't improve on them.
Exactly! Black is great when you don't love the look of the wheels. The Spyder wheels are very pretty and reasonably light.

ClintonM3, what do you think of the Champion RS98s? In RS sizes (9x19 - 19+lbs, 12x19 - 20+lbs), they are still lighter than the Spyder wheels.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think that since the Spyder suspension was built with those wheels in mind, why mess with it.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

well, I think we all agree that modding a Spyder is pretty hard, as the car is so perfect.

The HREs are out of the picture. As much as I like the look, I will only lay out that kind of $$ if the wheels make an improvement. Improvement in performance and aesthetics.

Champion RS98s are cool. But is a very similar 10 spoke design as the Spyder wheel.

I stumble upon these, when searching for lighter wheels

Front- 19x8.75 +18 5x108 , weight 16.8 lbs
- Titanium, Gloss Black
- Ceramic Polish (option finish)
- Black Satin / Dia-cut Face (option finish)
standard finishes start at: $2020 each

Rear- 19x11.25 +23 5x108 , weight 19.4 lbs
- Titanium, Gloss Black
- Ceramic Polish (option finish)
- Black Satin / Dia-cut Face (option finish)
standard finishes start at: $2020 each

These seems major serious.

Can someone photoshop these onto a Spyder please? I am curious.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

nevermind. They don't look that good.

I will be going with OEM spyder wheels with different finish. Any suggestions? Anyone know a good wheel guy for refinishing?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The BBS wheels aren't bad but the Spyder wheels do look nicer. For a Silver Spyder I would vote for gloss black or maybe titanium to differentiate the wheels a bit.

Curious what others come up with as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
nevermind. They don't look that good.

I will be going with OEM spyder wheels with different finish. Any suggestions? Anyone know a good wheel guy for refinishing?
I don't know how they hold up long-term, but I've liked what I've seen from http://wheelenhancement.com/.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Its very hard to find a better looking wheel, with the weight savings of the stock Spyder wheel.

Quick Reply: Do aftermarket wheels make sense for the Spyder?