Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look at what is the Official Pace Car of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Look at what is the Official Pace Car of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this weekend?

I just came back from a reception held at Porsche of Colorado Springs for Jeff Zwart. For more details of that please go to the RL gt3 forum at this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ml#post8658992

But, related to that, here are photos of one of the 'Official Pace Car' of this year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb - the Race to the Clouds!

Saludos, z356 (currently in beautiful Colorado)
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That is awesome!

Can you try to get a few shots of it in action? Would be cool to keep this in my phot collection.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is awesome!

Can you try to get a few shots of it in action? Would be cool to keep this in my phot collection.
Afshin, I am not going back for the Hill Climb on June 26th. That mountain course will be a zoo crowded with people and revelry. Instead, I will try to catch it via streaming internet if available. I decided to do my 6 hour round-trip to Colorado Springs from Vail yesterday to get 'quality time', talking to Jeff and seeing the 'race' car close up. On the hill climb, it would have been flying past me in a few seconds and that is it! But I am sure you might see photos of the Spyder Pace Car on the web or TV reports, internet videos or in the auto magazines! z356
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Eduardo-- Glad you enjoyed Colorado Springs; I'm sure the drive was blast!
Originally Posted by Z356

I will try to catch it via streaming internet if available.
A couple of hyperlinks below that should help:
Originally Posted by curve lover

should be able to watch Sunday's race live by clicking here.
Likewise, audio streaming should be here all day of the race.

There's a lot of talk by most everyone of beating the legendary "10 minute mark," which has never been done.

Here's Tajima 'Monster' Nobuhiro. His best time? 10 minutes and 1 second...

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The above post & a lot more information are on the 993 Forum's "Porsches on Pikes Peak: Int'l Hill Climb; Jeff Zwart in Colorado Springs- GT2RS, 993s" thread...

the official pace car

there was great eye candy outside, too...

^^Photography by Bob Bills.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Curve Lover: Yes, I loved the ride down to Colorado Springs from the Vail area. Went the interior route - Route 9 then 24 - so I got a chance to see that sparse area of Colorado!

Re: your "Joe's doing well in Colorado Springs, though I didn't get the full story on his broken arm. Hope he heals quickly." The story is he took a tumble on his mountain bike near the dealership. I think the real trouble was in his hand and fingers. So they resolved matters by giving him a cast to make sure it all heals properly. Did you see his wife and little girl? I do wish him at his new dealership post much success!

Saludos, Eduardo (in absolutely gorgeous Colorado!)

PS Attached is a photo of the Gore Range taken on I70 near our home in Vail Valley from inside our car! I hope you all will agree these are world class views!
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the sports seats instead of buckets....... Yawn.....
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Plavan, I am with you on the buckets, buddy! But if you are talking about the Pace Car, it is just a used Boxster Spyder Porsche of Colorado Springs had available and it was used just for publicity on the week of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. All people saw was that it was a Spyder, not what kind of seats it had!

You be surprised to see how many Spyders have been ordered by dealers (and some customers) with leather sport seats instead of buckets. As much as I like heated seats, which the buckets do not provide, the smart money says pick the Recaro buckets when you order a new Spyder, Cayman R or a .2 gt3 RS! Forget that these are the right seats for all enthusiasts, it is just a wiser $ choice - that simple. The sport leather seats go for less than half what the sport buckets sell in the aftermarket! So the buckets are part of the great deal that represents value in your purchase of a new Spyder, Cayman R or gt3 RS!

By the way, a few year ago BWW was selling a neat fleece vest that was wired and heated, connected electrically via a 12v plug into the accessory outlet in their Z3's...or any car. I am planning to see if I can get one of those to go with my '12 Spyder with sport buckets when the latter arrives in August! z356
Old 07-02-2011, 02:38 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Curve Lover: Yes, I loved the ride down to Colorado Springs from the Vail area. Went the interior route - Route 9 then 24 - so I got a chance to see that sparse area of Colorado!

Saludos, Eduardo (in absolutely gorgeous Colorado!)

PS Attached is a photo of the Gore Range taken on I70 near our home in Vail Valley from inside our car! I hope you all will agree these are world class views!
Eduardo-- I agree!

Did you see his wife and little girl?

^^ Photography by Bob Bills.

Quick Reply: Look at what is the Official Pace Car of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this weekend?