Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Depreciation

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Well, at least once. As in the photo shoot for the Ebay listing. And from the looks of it, they didn't attached it right to the red hooks in the rear. There is some additional red 'tape' or something that can be seen in that general area. I am sure that is one of the items that needs to be cleaned up, as you have stated. But overall, it looks like a great buy to me! Good luck with it. Saludos, z356 (currently in beautiful Colorado)
Red "tape" is sticker for Autism. No longer there. And yes, the roof was not completely attached to the hooks in the rear when it arrived. The roof is currently gone and not sure if/when it will be back on!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67`
The roof is currently gone and not sure if/when it will be back on!!!!
That is the spirit! Keep it up. Me, I am such an **** compulsive sort that I'll probably put the top up at each stop to keep 'dust' off the nice Carrera Red leather interior. My '12 is scheduled for production in late July and should be here in late August (we hope). It takes all types...but at least we are all in the same Spyder family! z356
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
That is the spirit! Keep it up. Me, I am such an **** compulsive sort that I'll probably put the top up at each stop to keep 'dust' off the nice Carrera Red leather interior. My '12 is scheduled for production in late July and should be here in late August (we hope). It takes all types...but at least we are all in the same Spyder family! z356
You think you're ****.....I take the top off before every drive and put it back on after every drive but only after I've dusted the interior.

Congrats on the Spyder purchases guys, they are absolutely amazing cars! I just got back from a nice evening drive and feel totally refreshed.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice old topic to dig up...

I have been looking at 987 spyder prices for over a year now and it seems the depreciation has stopped in early 2015.

The cheapest car for sale in Europe is € 64.500 asking price. In 2015 i have seen spyders for around 55.000.

How do the spyder values develop in the US?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bassie81
Nice old topic to dig up...

I have been looking at 987 spyder prices for over a year now and it seems the depreciation has stopped in early 2015.

The cheapest car for sale in Europe is € 64.500 asking price. In 2015 i have seen spyders for around 55.000.

How do the spyder values develop in the US?
Values in the US have held steady for a year now, hovering between US $50 - $65K depending on options and who's selling. Typically there is a small uptick in price in the spring/summer months so we may see a slight increase this year unless the new Spyders take some demand away.

I can't say that I have changed my opinion of the car even after 5 years of ownership. It's incredibly focused on every aspect of driving and never fails to leave an impression on all of your senses. I can't wait to try mine on the SoCal canyon roads!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino944
The one factor that will also be an issue for depreciation/appreciation is the next generation of Boxster, and how well it compares to or exceeds the current models. In addition, if they eventually build a Boxster Spyder based on the next generation Boxster that could also help or hurt values of current Spyders.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The short term depreciation curve (3 years) will depend entirely on the next generation car. If the new car is drop dead gorgeous, with more power and lighter weight, the 987 Spyder will not be anything special despite its low production numbers. Also there is the question whether we will see a 981 Spyder; personally I think there will be one, given the success of the current car.
Agree wholeheartedly that 981 Spyder values will be affected by:

a) whether Porsche comes out with a "718" Spyder (i.e. 982 generation), and, if so

b) whether it has a turbo 4 or a flat 6.

If there is no "next gen" Spyder, then the 981 Spyder will go down as a very special car - - limited numbers, one-year production only, last flat six NA drop-top? - - and my bet would be on solid value retention if not some appreciation down the road.

If there is a next gen Spyder and it's a turbo 4, I think older guys and the purists will still keep 981 Spyder values high and depreciation in check.

A next gen Spyder with a NA flat 6 is clearly the worst case scenario for 981 Spyder value retention. Doesn't mean they won't hold their value better than most - - just means appreciation is more unlikely IMO.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:54 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok a few thoughts and a couple of questions for the board.

1. Current 987 Averages: Cost: $58k Mileage 18,000 [Asking prices]

2. Now that we know the 718s will be flat 4's - if the Spyders follow suit, I see the predecessors definitely benefiting from a collectibility stand point.

3. I know GT Purely came out with an Article, mentioned here within the forums, but did the tone of that article or any other articles genuinely separate the 981 from the 987 as the superior all around car?

4. 2nd Question: I have a feeling we could be looking back at both Spyders in a way we currently look at the 89' and 94' Speedsters; both highly collectible and rare but which will end up being the more desirable one down the road?

5. - LAST QUESTION - Do we know if the 981 Spyder build will, for a fact, be less than the 891-ish North American production estimate for 987 Spyders? Despite the 1 vs. 2 year run.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Agree wholeheartedly that 981 Spyder values will be affected by: a) whether Porsche comes out with a "718" Spyder (i.e. 982 generation), and, if so b) whether it has a turbo 4 or a flat 6. If there is no "next gen" Spyder, then the 981 Spyder will go down as a very special car - - limited numbers, one-year production only, last flat six NA drop-top? - - and my bet would be on solid value retention if not some appreciation down the road. If there is a next gen Spyder and it's a turbo 4, I think older guys and the purists will still keep 981 Spyder values high and depreciation in check. A next gen Spyder with a NA flat 6 is clearly the worst case scenario for 981 Spyder value retention. Doesn't mean they won't hold their value better than most - - just means appreciation is more unlikely IMO.
+1
Old 02-01-2016, 09:42 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

In the latest Panorama, the editor still likes the 987 Spyder over the 981 Spyder
Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM
rsixx6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
In the latest Panorama, the editor still likes the 987 Spyder over the 981 Spyder
Thank you for letting me know that. From the sounds of it, I'm seeing a split decision from many in print and on the forums. Wish we had some who happen to own both (if any) chime in.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsixx6
Thank you for letting me know that. From the sounds of it, I'm seeing a split decision from many in print and on the forums. Wish we had some who happen to own both (if any) chime in.
I'm not naming names but I know someone who has both. He hasn't had enough seat time in the new one to confirm which he prefers. I will be curious to get his opinion as he has many visceral Porsche's in the stable and still has a soft spot for the Spyder (as a street car).

For those that have never experienced the 987 Spyder without restriction I would not make the assumption that the smaller engine output makes it a lesser car. There is something truly unique about the driving experience, a connection with the driver that is hard to explain until you really experience it at 8/10th's plus. I have said it over and over but I'll say it again, it's as if it is hardwired to your brain and it makes you feel like a superhero driver.

Keep in mind that this thread is a few years old before the 981 Spyder was introduced and here we are speculating if a 981.2 Spyder will be introduced and how it will be configured. Odds are that a 981.2 will be available and likely in a six, not a four. Should be interesting to see how values go but again each iteration has something special so I wouldn't fret.

The reality is that both are spectacularly special and those of us that own one or both are very fortunate.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spyder is not a GT car... No future NA 6!?
Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rsixx6
Ok a few thoughts and a couple of questions for the board.

1. Current 987 Averages: Cost: $58k Mileage 18,000 [Asking prices]

2. Now that we know the 718s will be flat 4's - if the Spyders follow suit, I see the predecessors definitely benefiting from a collectibility stand point.

3. I know GT Purely came out with an Article, mentioned here within the forums, but did the tone of that article or any other articles genuinely separate the 981 from the 987 as the superior all around car?

4. 2nd Question: I have a feeling we could be looking back at both Spyders in a way we currently look at the 89' and 94' Speedsters; both highly collectible and rare but which will end up being the more desirable one down the road?

5. - LAST QUESTION - Do we know if the 981 Spyder build will, for a fact, be less than the 891-ish North American production estimate for 987 Spyders? Despite the 1 vs. 2 year run.
2. No doubt.

3. I haven't counted how many articles have come down decidedly in favor of one car being "superior" over the over. Many point out the differences and claim both are desirable for different reasons. Certainly several have preferred the 987 finding that it has a certain "purity of focus" which may have been diminished to some extent in the 981. Others just outright claim the 981 is the superior car pointing to better performance numbers, top requiring fewer steps to lower, etc., etc.

4. Tough call. May depend, as noted in prior posts, on whether there is a next gen Spyder and, if so, whether it is a NA 6 or turbo 4. Pretty sure we know it won't be a turbo 6 because that engine type apparently won't fit in the car.

5. Unknown. Final numbers for the 981 will likely be below 891 units based on the current count and projections, but by how many is uncertain.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Want a Porsche that will appreciate? Try 356's or 993's. An example:

http://sloancars.com/6001/1998-993-c...rey-258-miles/

This car is new and can be bought for, let's say "over $300K." Now, THAT'S appreciation!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Can you imagine what a spyder will do in 15-20 years from now when everyone is dying for a NA flat six Porsche special model??

993 have also depreciated, even the 4s

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spyder Depreciation