Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?

Have been looking for a Spyder allocation for a few months and have a line on one. At this point in the Spyder production, I don't think there are many left, so beggars can't be choosers.

Dealership is offering 3%...I've never worked with them before so maybe it would be higher if I were a repeat customer. I know they can go lower if they really want to as I had two separate instances where I had and subsequently let go allocations for 5% and 6% off, but that was back in March.

Have also been looking in the used market for months and there is nothing that is remotely close to my specs, and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever see a car with the exact options that I want on the used market or unsold dealer inventory.

So I guess the choices at this point are pay a little more for the exact car via factory order or find something else and compromise on color and options.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With you being in CA, I think 3% is reasonable. I think you tend to see higher discounts here in the northeast, where dealer network is geographically closer and less demand for the spyder. But do ask for 5 or 6%. You don't get if you don't ask. But don't lowball or play games. Dealers want to see commitment. Is a sports car, don't spend too much time fuzzing over it, pull the trigger and enjoy.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If 5% is your number, may I suggest you return to the dealer with your checkbook, ask for the GM and don't kick tires.

"I'm here to take that allocation now if we can agree" seems to work for me...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is a dealership 500 miles from where I live and the car is a July build.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm surprised that an allocation remains. I agree with Clinton, it's a fun car and a 2% difference would not be enough to stop me from buying something I want (as long as I have the means). Either get it exactly the way you want it or be prepared to settle for a used car configured differently at a lower price.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
gwc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave I
Have been looking for a Spyder allocation for a few months and have a line on one. At this point in the Spyder production, I don't think there are many left, so beggars can't be choosers.
I guess that about sums it up really. You have to do what you are comfortable with, but as a point of reference I paid MSRP less $1000. My delaer was not flexible at all and another dealer about 70 miles away had one allocation as well but I wanted to do busisness where I live and I wanted the car....so I paid the $$$$$. The car has quite a number of options so I am sure it is a good sale for the dealer but that is the way it goes sometimes. If allocations are getting tight fewer dealers will be willing to listen to offers, thus you pay more if you want the car. Or you could see if any unsold units are still sitting around six months after production ends

My order was scheduled to start production today
Old 06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
gwc
Advanced

Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?

Or to answer the question another, more simple way....

Absoutely!

Regards

Gary
Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Dealership is offering 3%...I've never worked with them before so maybe it would be higher if I were a repeat customer. I know they can go lower if they really want to as I had two separate instances where I had and subsequently let go allocations for 5% and 6% off, but that was back in March.

Have also been looking in the used market for months and there is nothing that is remotely close to my specs, and it's extremely unlikely I'll ever see a car with the exact options that I want on the used market or unsold dealer inventory.

So I guess the choices at this point are pay a little more for the exact car via factory order or find something else and compromise on color and options.
as long as you dont buy from carlsen. i say go ahead. 3% 6% what's the difference.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carlsen is out of the picture. In fact, thanks to their game playing, I'm looking around at dealers outside the area after having established what I thought was a working relationship.

Agree that 3% - 6% is not much in the overall scheme of things, but to the dealer it's even less...it's not like they are taking another three percent off of a 200k+ speedster.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,609 Likes on 885 Posts

July should be the last build month for the Spyder. Are you sure that the dealer can change the current allocation. They usually get locked pretty early. You might have them double check before you get your hopes too high.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

when is the boxster body being replaced?
Old 06-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman
July should be the last build month for the Spyder. Are you sure that the dealer can change the current allocation. They usually get locked pretty early. You might have them double check before you get your hopes too high.
My car was a mid-February build and I know when I was at the dealer in mid January they had already placed the order with Porsche in their configuration. When they checked the computer they were shocked to see that it was alread showing that it was in production.

My sales guy and the sales manager started sending texts and making calls to their contacts in Germany and US Headquarters asking for a change. They didn't let up until they received a reply that Porsche could make the changes. It took two days of nail biting to confirm that the changes were accepted on the Porsche system.

My point in all this is that if a dealer has an allocation that hasn't been built there's still a small chance they can change it but they will need to jump through some hoops and have the right contacts.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
when is the boxster body being replaced?
I think the first cars will be released in May of 2012. This is strictly a guess but from what I can tell Porsche seems to introduce new models in April/May time frame.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I will take that allocation for 2.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Only you can answer the question as to whether its worth it to you to spec the car your way and pay a bit more for new car rather than getting a used one and saving some $.

If its not a financial stretch then I'd say spec the car your way and complete the deal. In the end, once you are driving on some nice winding roads and enjoying the car, the additional 2% will quickly be forgotten.

Good luck and best regards,
Dino
Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with Cayman. Double check to make certain dealer still has a changeable order (allocation). All late June production dates went 'locked' (can not change any options) a couple of weeks ago and I would have thought most July have gone 'locked' already. If your dealer has connections at PAG, perhaps still chance of some last minute changes. But since we are talking end of production deadlines, I am doubtful even these normal methods could work at this late date.

Let them show you the order to your specs in their PCNA computers and get a copy for your record with your sales contract.

Good luck. z356 (presently in Bournemouth on English Channel)

Quick Reply: Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?