Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll give you the cliff notes version...tried to work with local dealership who I have had multiple transactions with over the last 2&1/2 years. Had several discussions and they were adamant about full msrp, and then later recanted after I started talking to Norwell/Jeff upon Afshin's suggestion. My loss was your gain on that one...I should have just taken the deal from Norwell but someone else suggested I try a different dealer.

Fast forward to Downtown LA, which offered 3% and was why I posted the original question. Well, a few days ago the sales contact emails me and says they will do 4%. I answer ok we have a deal, to which I receive another email shortly after saying sorry but we sold it to another individual. Then he emails me back to say "but we can get another one but you will have to pay full msrp". Hmm, how did the price go up in less than one hour...

Now on to Stead...mooty asks his contact over there to hook me up, and they not being particularly accommodating, so it's not going to work out there either.

Btw, I have contacted a couple other Calif. dealers about unsold cars in their inventory and they aren't willing to budge off msrp.

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Yes! Interesting thread.
So what exactly are the dealers doing that is keeping you from pulling the trigger? Are they over promising/under deliver? Or are they clueless about their pipeline/allocation? Charging over MSRP?...
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Craig67
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
What are the specs on your car?
Carrera White/Black. Sport Leather and Heated Seats......better for me and my size. NAV(not needed), Sport Chrono Plus, Sound Plus, Painted Center Caps, All the Free stuff including cupholder. Does not have Xenon, which is fine as this is a weekend daytripper. Wish it had the PSE, but I can survive without it. Shipping is costing me $860 to get it here. Can't wait.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig67`
Carrera White/Black. Sport Leather and Heated Seats......better for me and my size. NAV(not needed), Sport Chrono Plus, Sound Plus, Painted Center Caps, All the Free stuff including cupholder. Does not have Xenon, which is fine as this is a weekend daytripper. Wish it had the PSE, but I can survive without it. Shipping is costing me $860 to get it here. Can't wait.
Congrats Craig! Keep us posted when you get the car. Make sure you're having the car shipped in an enclosed trailer.

Like Clinton I also went with the first dealer that had a firm allocation in hand and provided a price which I felt was reasonable. I'm very happy to have my car tucked in the garage and don't envy any of you that are still in the buying process. Hope you all are able to find exactly what you want at the price you want.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
FYI, from my experience, dealers in general seem to be very confused with the Spyder's productions schedule and pipeline. I didn't think it was game playing, rather it was plain lack of info on their part.
How far in advance does a dealership know about an allocation before the car arrives at the showroom? It's several months, isn't it? I bought my spyder at the end of November and was told at the time "we do not have any more allocations" available for custom order. Fast forward to March (maybe April, can't remember exactly) and there's another spyder on the Stead showroom floor. I should have known something was fishy when my sales rep initially told me they had one allocation coming, and then when to double check with his manager and came back to tell me, "nope, no more". Like I said, I'm a chump. I was taken for one...

Don't get me wrong, still love the car, but everytime I see pictures of the sport buckets and look at my sport heateds, my blood pressure rises. Someday I'll find a good deal on one...
Old 06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orthojoe, if you are interested in a whole new spyder, there is a one owner car in GA that has 375 miles on it. guards red, buckets, air con, sport chrono, sound. Asking 65k, but sure one could go lower. I had to have PSE, wanted some exclusive paint, and was willing to take a hit on new. So I passed. My pro forma just came back and it looks like SEP completion on my build. I've waited 20 years for the first Porsche, so what's another few months.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated, but I've made my spyder 'mine' at this point. PCCBs, remus exhaust, GT2RS shift ****, rennline pedals, and GT3 master cylinder and brake ducts. 2 more things I want to source and this car will be perfect: sport bucket seats, and a GT3 RS 4.0 Steering wheel...

I can fix my screw ups. I just don't like being manipulated.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Great. I'm not a racer, so if the buckets aren't my deal, you'll see mine listed for sale. I was able to sit in them (in a GT2RS) and they felt awesome. I might have been woosey from sitting in a 250k super car, so not a true read. I'm about 5'7", so I'm a little concerned about no height adjustment. Hoping it will be ok.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by jabbey
Great. I'm not a racer, so if the buckets aren't my deal, you'll see mine listed for sale. I was able to sit in them (in a GT2RS) and they felt awesome. I might have been woosey from sitting in a 250k super car, so not a true read. I'm about 5'7", so I'm a little concerned about no height adjustment. Hoping it will be ok.
I'm 5'8" and I find that they have the perfect height and rake. I wish the steering wheel had a bit more adjustment but otherwise it's a great setup.

Sounds like you and Joe can trade it you don't end up liking the sport buckets.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Sounds like you and Joe can trade if you don't end up liking the sport buckets.
^Definitely. I have the heated sport seats. You have a 'bailout' if you don't like them
Old 06-11-2011, 10:05 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is like a 911 you cant really attach the heaters

All 911's are built with a certain electro-mechanical backbone and you cannot swap parts such as seats onto the backbone.

The bolt patterns may be right, but no warmers

I found this out the hard way with a 997 once

It's really irritating that there is no credit for a delete of the seats cuz those carbon shells are waaaay more valuable than the P77's
Old 06-12-2011, 01:24 AM
80WHALE
Intermediate

Dave, unfortunately you are correct, not much inventory left and its very difficult to get an allocation. Unfortunately the US dealers for all sports cars are under siege from China and India. China has moved from Mercedes centric to sports car and SUV's and Porsche along with the other manufacturers are making more money selling to China and India then the US market.

The US dealers are fighting for inventory and trying to get allocations. As much as Mooty would like to believe the dealers have all the cards, they do not, Porsche does and there is a reason they have record profits. The dealers in CA specific are trying to survive. Other states don't have the same demand so can negotiate prices. The Ca dealers are getting some allocations on the rare cars, but the bread and butter, the cars that sell everyday, such as the Cayenne, are hard to get as they are all going to China and India.

I heard Stevens Creek is getting two Spyders which were originally destined as show cars, a black and a white PDK with lots of exclusives.

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ i only speak about my case when i have CONFIRMED facts.
i know exactly when carlsen had the allocation and i know exactly how many they had on that day. they told me they dont know yet........ that's called BS.

i pressed and showed them the allocation. they told me they had one but sold over msrp. a minute ago they said no allocation yet. a min later with proof in hand, they said they had one but sold. i pressed further. suddenly have two... that's the allocation i showed. ... that's also called BS.

it's not about the car. i can pay them 100k over msrp without blinking an eye, it's the lack of integrity that really bothers me.

furthermore, all major dealers know their sales ranking in USA. and it's not rocket science to project the number of allocation they will get. for example, if BH tells you they have zero RS inbound, you know they lied. if champion tells you they have 1 RS inbound, you know they lied. the only time dealers do not know allocation are the late, sudden and special allocation... aka extra pool cars. but the original batch of allocations can easily be calculated. as such, they can tell customers what it takes to obtain the allocation. i would not pay over msrp, i would decline and appreciate their offer. but telling me they dont have allocation is lie. you see the difference now?

all they had to do was disclose to me they have 2 cars coming, and would like to get X over msrp. then everything would be fine. just as michael stead offered me cars at 30k over, which i politely declined and remain friends with. but flat out BS is just too much for me. but they shall regret from the amount of sales they have already lost (dave I, for example and my various friends) and will continue to lose as i disclose more and more of their under table dealings. i got plenty of stories and many ppl have been "educated" by my PM's.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 80WHALE
Mooty you sound like an old man who has nothing better to do than to try to bully others. Don't you know we are in a society of not tolerating your antics.

Saying this is just acting like an imature bully:

i dont play games. you lie to me, i will get you back 100x over. you dont know how many allocation you can get, close shop and go find a new job. excuses are not excuses.

Yeah you have money, and like to brag about it, so what. Dealers are trying to make money, you know the game, the way you act it makes sense why they would screw you.

Just let it go, your vengeance and bullying makes you act like a 15 year old immature child.
sorry, who am i trying to bully?

with all due respect, your tenure on RL doesn't give you enough experience of facts to make these comments.

those who knows me knows i dont bully.
i helped countless RL'ster buy sell set up their cars and coach in track driving, assist in car detailing from clay to wet sanding as well as fixing their brakes, change their oil at my house.
i dont brag, and most dont know what i drive. if you felt you have been brag to... you have some issues.
if you want to speak, get your facts straight.
it has nothing to do with dealers making money. if you dont understand the relationship i have with the dealerships, you might as well stop commenting on what i do/say or not do/say.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:25 AM
80WHALE
Intermediate

more bullying mooty, so because I don't have 18,000 posts it means I can't express how your posts, and I don't even know you, are bullying tactics. Even though you might help some, your demonstrative behavior of hurting those who you think have harmed you 100x over is just typically bullying and not needed on a quality forum such as rennlist. You are why so many other forums are now growing as a result of typically boorish behavior like yours.

Your defensive tones are typical of someone knowing they are wrong. If you do the right thing, you shouldn't have to defend yourself as you seem to do constantly.

Grow up and try to support some of the great opportunities we have with the service providers available.

We have some great providers in the bay area, including the dealers and sharkwerks among many others.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM
80WHALE
Intermediate

have bought over 100 cars in the last 20 years.

Gee, mooty, sounds a bit like bragging to me. Why do you even need to state how many cars you have bought? Ask yourself

Quick Reply: Spyder allocations are getting scarce...would you pull the trigger for 3% off?