Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

CAYMAN R

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAYMAN R

is the cayman r dry-sumped?

i was under the impression that it wasn't, but a dealer assured me the other day that it was....

also, do the dfi engines from gen 2 cayman have the same oil and cooling issues as the gen 1?

basically, need to know how hard a cayman r could be tracked. is it durable enough? will it stand up to 10/10ths?

thanks,

james
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
racer
Drifting

not in a Aircooled 911 "dry sump" kind of way. It has an integrated dry sump I think is how they refer to it.

GT3 / TT motors are better for pure track use.. But there have been advances to the "regular" motors.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yep, understand all about the gt3, just looking at cheaper alternatives, or am i wasting my time?
good thing about the cayman r is that it can definitely be used as a daily. pricing in aus will put a used cayman r in 2 yrs inline with a 6 gt3. this is definitely a better trackcar, but not really viable as a daily.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

no, but look up the Cayman Interseries for reference on how reliable and trouble free they have been

I'm not a 10/10 driver
but my 2010 Cayman w/PDK has been trouble free (not a DFI motor)
tracked and autocrossed, 19,000 miles in 11 months and gets over 30mpg on the highway

it's a great car!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
also, do the dfi engines from gen 2 cayman have the same oil and cooling issues as the gen 1?

basically, need to know how hard a cayman r could be tracked. is it durable enough? will it stand up to 10/10ths?

thanks,

james
Old 05-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Starting in 2009 the DFI engines had a form of dry sump. From what I've read these engines are holding up well at the track as already noted.

Will you really be driving 10/10 on the track?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

eventually, i would hope to be close to that. 911 would be different proposition.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

it's just that i read stories of gen 1 caymans with issues in regards to heatsoak on the track caused by insufficient cooling, and issues with leaking oil through exhaust valves into exhaust.
sounds like gen 2 cars got some of the issues sorted?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Check out the link:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-inter...we-learned.htm

40 cars, 100,000+ miles of racing, zero engine failures. Some failures with wheel bearings, shifter cables, axles (due to suspension angles), dual mass flywheel (they are looking into changing to a SMF). Nothing major.

Also note, no RMS issues or coolant pipe ejections (GT3).

As I understand, the next GT3 will be based on this block (9A1).

My CR is on order, June 16 build.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

thanks for the link!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jimmy.
it's INTEGRATED dry sump.
it will track fine. but it needs more work to get there than GT3. when you get it really track ready, you are in GT3 money. anyone tells you otherwise is full of it. i have had them all, yes gen 2 also. not the "R" though.

however, if you are willing to build it, cayman has a very different feel than GT3. i like them both.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
jimmy.
when you get it really track ready, you are in GT3 money. anyone tells you otherwise is full of it.
thanks mooty, this was the bit i was afraid of....
trying to avoid spending too much, times are tough.
i have already passed the limits of the r32 and no more can be spent on that, other than stripping it and adding cage/better seats, but don't wanna wreck perfectly good car. it's just a little bit hardcore for everyday, so running a beater for daily duties. it will have to do for now, but maybe a couple of years down the track looking for new trackcar, thought the cayman r could possibly serve both duties if i don't expect to go full-on with it. easy to say, but when you're out there, you're out there, and there's only one rate: FLATOUT!
anyway, we shall find out some more soon when people start getting their cars.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

is the cayman r dry-sumped?

i was under the impression that it wasn't, but a dealer assured me the other day that it was....

thanks,

james
It is not a true dry sump motor. Porsche calls it an integrated dry sump, but that's the same as saying that a woman is half pregnant. The DFI cars (2009 and on) do not have the same oiling issues as the previous generation. As long as you run R compound tires (and not slicks), you will be fine. I had a 2008 model, and after spending a bunch of money on it, I sold it. It was fast, set-up correctly, handled extremely well, but it lacked soul. Once you start spending money to make it as fast as a GT3, you might as well buy a GT3.

If you are disciplined to keep the modifications to a minimum, and use the Cayman R as a street/track car, then go ahead and buy it. If I were in your shoes, I would buy a 996 GT3 or 997.1 GT3.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't expect to go full-on with it. easy to say, but when you're out there, you're out there, and there's only one rate: FLATOUT!
I think this says it all.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the truth comes out. always.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a Spyder and have been tracking it with zero issues. I also live on a very very curvy mountain road that's 12 miles long, with a huge elevation change and fast and slow corners (and I drive it hard).

My track partner and close friend owns a 996 GT3 (and a 968 club sport he keeps at the Nurburgring). We've done Streets of Willow (I hate that track), and Laguna Seca, with more track days to come this summer.

This GT3 owner is a very experienced (licensed/trained racer, etc.) driver who used to drive in the VLN series in Europe. My experience is limited to amateur motorcycle racing, but many track days in the US and Europe (many days at the Nurburgring as well, both in cars and on bikes).

The surprising result is that my Spyder is faster at both tracks. My fast lap at Laguna was 142ish, with most times around 144 to 146, with PS2's that were not good enough for track use. His fast lap was 146 and was running in the 148s. I noticed the cornering speeds being higher on Spyder, but he was able to get the power down harder and faster out of the corners. My braking points were much later than his, which also helped my time. He would pull away coming up the hill out of turns 5 and 6, but I'd brake later into the corkscrew. He'd also pull away onto the straight out of 11, as I'd be smearing to get the nose pointed in the right direction while keeping traction. I'd catch him in 2.

At streets of willow, I had the stock tires (worse than the PS2's), and was still running faster laps (I think I had the 3rd fastest lap in the advanced group, and I'd never been to that track). The cornering speeds were very high compared to the other cars on the track (everything from M3's to STI/Evo's/s2000's).

In short. The Spyder is amazing on the track, and I looove that it is a convertible, even though it is not a GT3 (my favorite Porsche), and very livable on the street. The track prepped (ish) Spyder is much more expensive than a good condition 996 GT3, and I think they are very comparable. I see the advantages to both.

Quick Reply: CAYMAN R