Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Update: Spyder.....Finally Got It!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts
Default Update: Spyder.....Finally Got It!!

So it's been a long wait (since June of last year) since I first laid eyes on a Spyder and decided I had to have one. Today was the final step in making my dream a reality. It was a looooonnnggg road but the deal was finalized today and I'm the proud new owner of a Spyder made just for me!

I bought the car at Paul Miller Porsche in NJ, they have been excellent to work with and very flexible. I was hoping to drive the car home from the dealer and get a few break in miles under my belt but the weather has been downright awful and I really didn't want to leave it on the lot so the dealer and I agreed to split the cost of shipping.

If all goes well I will have the car Friday evening or Saturday afternoon at the latest.

My wife has been making fun of me for the past week because I've spent the last few weekends cleaning up the garage. She says I'm nesting and my new baby is going to be arriving soon.

Here are some teaser shots of the interior, didn't get a chance to download the rest of the shots before the dealer took them down.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Marine Blue; 03-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

That's awesome news. Better safe than sorry in regards to getting it to you! Can hardly wait to see the whole car Pretty funny about the nesting comment. I did the exact same thing.

Last edited by n4v4nod; 03-25-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations! I hope you thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 PM
jfoxny
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, man! You won't be getting much sleep tonight or tomorrow!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:02 AM
FlyYellowRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!
AC
Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on reaching the final stage of acquiring your dream car. I hope that it gives you many years and miles enjoyment. If it gets delivered this afternoon, are you going to sleep in the house or in the garage?

Best regards,
Dino
Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 on the congrats...can't wait to see pics of your car.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about some details?
Options
Wheels
Color
What seats are those?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

Surprisingly I did sleep last night but it probably had to do with the fact that I have been sleep deprived for the past week with the anticipation of getting the car.

The shipper called and said the car would be arriving this evening hopefully before the sun goes down to allow for a thorough inspection. Can't wait!

Car details:
Basalt Black
Black Full Leather Interior
Silver Spyder Wheels
Sport Bucket Seats
A/C & Radio
Sport Exhaust
Crest on Headrest
Colored Crest on wheels

Looking back the only other option I wish I added was the short shift but I guess its easy enough to add after the fact and cost would be less.

My wife is going to take pictures of the car as it comes off the hauler so I'll post some pictures tonight.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks guys.

Surprisingly I did sleep last night but it probably had to do with the fact that I have been sleep deprived for the past week with the anticipation of getting the car.

The shipper called and said the car would be arriving this evening hopefully before the sun goes down to allow for a thorough inspection. Can't wait!

Car details:
Basalt Black
Black Full Leather Interior
Silver Spyder Wheels
Sport Bucket Seats
A/C & Radio
Sport Exhaust
Crest on Headrest
Colored Crest on wheels

Looking back the only other option I wish I added was the short shift but I guess its easy enough to add after the fact and cost would be less.

We ordered XM radio and have it on all our cars. You can always do this aftermarket. We love it. Getting radio reception is a real problem in the mountains and on trips.

You might want to drive a car with a short shifter. Drove a turbo with this and did not like it. the shifter on our S is fabulous. Smooth as butter. My suggestion is to try it for awhile before changing.

My wife is going to take pictures of the car as it comes off the hauler so I'll post some pictures tonight.
Thanks for responding. Sounds great. I have PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) on our Boxster S and it sounds great.

Might want to consider an aftermarket XM radio. Reception in the mountains is a problem. we have it on all our 4 cars and love it.

The shifter on the Boxster S is like butter. You might want to try it before you change. I test drove a new turbo with the sports shifter and did not like it. My S has a much better feel IMVHO. Of course, this is a very personal decision.

Looking forward to your pics.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I test drove a new turbo with the sports shifter and did not like it. My S has a much better feel IMVHO.
Reserve judgement on the sport shifter until a car is broken in. It loosens up and smooths out significantly over the first 2,000 miles.

The sport shifter gets a bad rap because it is indeed very stiff and notchy when new, and especially when cold, as it typically will be when providing a first impression on a test drive.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Sport Buckets with the Porsche emblem... priceless!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well......I GOT IT!

Around 7:00 PM the shipping company arrived and shortly after that I was look at my new baby!

Wow is all I can say. The car looks so exotic in this color combo and yet very classy.

I will first admit that I was really worried about my color choice since I had never seen the color in person on the car. But wow, when I saw it I absolutely loved it. Everyone in the house loves it actually, my parents had just arrived a few hours earlier and even my dad who hates sports cars loved it.

Car arrived without a scratch and the guy who handled the shipping was excellent. True car nut and judging by the stories he has hauled some pretty cool stuff. There was a little bit of dust on the car so I've been in the garage this entire time getting to know the car and wiping it down.

My wife wanted to take some pictures of the interior so she got into the drivers seat and said...THE SEATS ARE HARD!. I cracked up and said give it a minute. Not long after that she said, wow these are comfortable.

I can't wait to drive it!

Right now it still feels like a dream....someone needs to pinch me!

Here are a few initial pictures, more to come tomorrow when I get it out of the garage.
Attached Images          
Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 AM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Thanks for sharing. Black looks so great. (I am too lazy to keep it looking gorgeous). I really like the light colored stitching. Classic.

And I really like the Scuderia Ferrari flag in the background.

I have flags in the background of my car too...the red one next to the CGT.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Simply Awesome!!! Congrats!!!! Basalt looks sooo good!
Now we need to get your baby on dspyda.com

Quick Reply: Update: Spyder.....Finally Got It!!