Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Porsche reacts to criticism that the Cayman R isn't enough...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Porsche reacts to criticism that the Cayman R isn't enough...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...-cs-27872.html

Z356, now what?
Old 12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Great find. Thanks for posting. Interesting that Porsche thinks the Boxster Spyder is more extreme than the Cayman R, and that the R has better day-to-day usability:

“Use the example of the Boxster Spyder,” he told autocar. “It’s very ‘sharp’, and you only reach certain volumes with the positioning of that car. With the Cayman R, the day-to-day usability is really another world compared with the Spyder. But a CS version of the Cayman would be like the Spyder in the positioning.”

Unclear to me if that thought is solely on account of the tent/top on the Spyder, or if something else is at play? The use of the word "sharp" is especially interesting!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, let's analyse what is being said here. Here is the quote directly from Autocar:

Porsche could add an ever hotter Club Sport version to its Cayman range, according to the firm’s boss of mid-engined cars. Hans-Jurgen Wohler told Autocar that although a Cayman Club Sport was not currently on the cards, “anything is possible” in the future. “We now have a new CEO in Matthias Müller and he has some ideas,” said Wohler. “This is the decision of the board: which car line, which direction. Wohler also explained why the latest Cayman model, revealed at last month’s LA motor show, is an R and not a Club Sport.“Use the example of the Boxster Spyder,” he said. “It’s very ‘sharp’, and you only reach certain volumes with the positioning of that car. With the Cayman R, the day-to-day usability is really another world compared with the Spyder.“But a CS version of the Cayman would be like the Spyder in the positioning.”

Now let us read again what Wöhler told Autocar just last week:

The extreme Porsche Cayman R will deliver a bigger dynamic advantage over the Cayman S than the Boxster Spyder does over the Boxster S, according to Porsche’s chief of mid-engined cars, Hans-Jürgen Wöhler. He told Autocar that the hard-top body’s rigidity allowed his engineers to push the Cayman’s chassis even further than the Boxster’s in this lighter variant. “The difference between the two Caymans is coming out of the stiffer bodyshell of the fixed roof; it means the chassis can fulfil 100 per cent of its potential, whereas in the Boxster Spyder it’s about 90 per cent,” said Wöhler.“We have a special set-up of spring rates [five to 10 per cent stiffer], shock absorbers and torsion bar that is unique to this car. Plus, it’s 20mm lower.”

So, if you read both statements by Wöhler, he is saying that Cayman CS (if built) will have more handling capabilities than the Cayman R, which is in itself more capable than the Spyder. I interpret Wöhler's use of the word 'sharp' to mean 'limited market' or 'limited appeal'. Maybe it suffered in Autocar's translation from the German...or that is just how Wöhler speaks English. But in the context of what he was talking to Autocar, 'sharp' seems to mean 'limited appeal', not as in 'sharp handling'!

What does all of this tells us? Porsche can build a better handling, stiffer, more powerful, track oriented Cayman CS if they wanted to and if it gets board approval. And if this Cayman CS is ever build, it will have very limited appeal or market, compared to the sales Porsche is projecting for the Cayman R, which Porsche feels has more day to day usability (and thus more market appeal) than the Spyder. Is any of this a surprise to our forum? I don't think so. z356
Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the old days porsche built limited edition cars to appeal to racing homologation rules (think of the 1500 examples of the 911 Carrera RS that had to be built, or the advent of the 930 and its subsequent racing guise of 934 and 935 versions) and not "marketing appeal". In this regard, i like the old ideas better. Giving into "marketing appeal", imho, dilutes the brand.

The Cayman R could have been better.. and all it really does, imho, is make people want to wait for the "RS" version.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Z356 -- You may well be right -- by using the word "sharp" he may have meant "limited" as in a smaller clientele -- if so, then it could only mean that the top/tent is the limiting factor/feature (with the Spyder); that is, many aren't willing to deal with the hassle of folding up the top (as opposed to simply pushing a button) -- but certainly not clear to me, and given that apart from the roof the cars are quite similar, I am not sure what they would do with a CS version of the Cayman so as to make it even more "sharp"? Here is a guess -- historically, with the GT3 and GT3RS at least, a "Club Sport Package" option has been available (except for here in the US). If one checks that box, one gets the Carrera GT style fixed back carbon fiber seats/shells and a rollcage. Perhaps this is what Porsche has in mind here?

Last edited by zellamsee; 12-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Interesting. When I read it I also had the opinion that the Spyder offered sharper handling but who knows. Really the only way to find out is to wait until the press has had a chance to drive the two cars back to back or wait until the cars are at the dealer and drive them yourself.

If I were looking for a daily driver I would probably choose the Boxster S since I really want a convertible but I agree that a Cayman R would be a better option on a snowy day.

As always, it really comes down to what purpose the car will serve and what you're preferences are. Neither choice is a bad one and neither car is less than the other.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z356
What does all of this tells us? Porsche can build a better handling, stiffer, more powerful, track oriented Cayman CS if they wanted to and if it gets board approval. And if this Cayman CS is ever build, it will have very limited appeal or market, compared to the sales Porsche is projecting for the Cayman R, which Porsche feels has more day to day usability (and thus more market appeal) than the Spyder. Is any of this a surprise to our forum? I don't think so. z356
I agree completely.

The only interesting thing here is the fact that Wohler did not dismiss the idea of a Cayman CS being built, but actually acknowledges it as a possibility.

That obviously doesn't mean that it will actually happen either.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Zellamsee: Many of us thought we were going to get a model called Club Sport on Nov 17th. Instead, just hours before the announcement, it was leaked the name would be the Cayman 'R' instead. What we had heard for nearly a year prior was of a lighter Cayman with Spyder-like suspension (we got that), aluminum doors (yes), a ducktail spoiler (nope), a lighter rear hatch (nope), with Lexan in Europe and thinner glass in US (nope) and a roll cage, fire bottle and the 996 gt3/ gt2rs-style buckets with fire-retardant cloth for markets in Europe (nope).

And I think part of the disappointment we have seen in the forums arise from Porsche not meeting these expectations. And given that the rumors were never actively denied by Porsche, I think they should have done a better job on Nov 17th in the presentation of the Cayman R and explaining why Porsche decided to limited the changes to the suspension (good) and cosmetics (e.g. using existing Aerokit), which was disappointing. So, I think Porsche is doing (still) a terrible job of marketing this model. But, hopefully, we will see the results of what the Cayman R can do on the street and on the track starting on Feb 21th, 2011, during the press driving events!

I don't think Hans-Jurgen, in his latest talk to Autocar, was revealing that a Club Sport version of the Cayman is coming soon. Just that it is a possibility, should the Board approve it. And of course, that is true. But if a Club Sport comes to the Cayman, it will be on the next platform of the Boxster/Cayman. And the latter probably will not arrive before the Spring of 2012 as a MY2013. And the more sporting/spirited versions of the Cayman will not be seen until MY2014 or perhaps even later! z356

Last edited by Z356; 12-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

These announcements make me want to bang my head into a wall... I really want the "hardest" Cayman possible, and just when I think the R is it...

I may wait and just get an RS5 to fulfill my new car yearnings in 2011. Then if the CS comes, I'll do it. Who knows.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Rob T
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
These announcements make me want to bang my head into a wall... I really want the "hardest" Cayman possible, and just when I think the R is it...
This is hardly an "announcement".

It is merely a statement that a future model may or may not be made.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

pussies.
this guy in charge of mid engine platform should just stuff in a 9A1 3.8 or a GT1 derived motor, real coil over and this car needs a LARGE wing in the back. then just call it a day.

dont give my cay s, cay r, cay cs.

measure 2x, cut it once.
just get it right.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Suspension and weigh reduction are significant pieces, to be sure, but when will Porsche finally give the Cayman a top-tier GT3 or TT engine?
Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

when will charlie let alan bang his new friends?

Quick Reply: Porsche reacts to criticism that the Cayman R isn't enough...