Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) RS60 - Imported to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
bueller20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New (to me) RS60 - Imported to Canada

Well I came back on Tuesday from Virginia and drove the car back to Canada. I have no words for the car...it is just gorgeous. It is just immaculate, with red leather, 6-spd manual, navigation, bi-xenons, heated seats, sport chrono, black top (I wanted red, but I can't complain), 5,000 miles and 1 owner.

The Porche dealer was incredible with the service and care that they took with the car and everyone was so kind and accommodating. They performed 2 year service the day before I arrived (oil change, brake flush, etc), and had the stamped job management report and other docs all ready to go. I was in and out in 30 minutes.

No issues were encountered at the border (I went through Port Huron/Sarnia). There was a bit of a long wait but everything went smooth. I had all the necessary documentation, and faxed the title over 72 hours in advance with fax confirmation in hand. I entered through Canada, paid my taxes and filled out Form 1. I will call RIV today to have them email me the Inspection Form so I can do that as quickly as possible before the snow arrives.

The only issue I ran into happened about 10 minutes away from my house, on the 401 in Mississauga. A tractor trailer went over a bump on the highway, and for whatever reason, spewed out a crapload of gravel all over the road. The truck was in the left lane, and I was in the right, quite far behind (maybe 300 meters). I slowed down, but couldn't stop too much as I risked getting smashed from behind, and it was near impossible to avoid the mess...it was all over the highway. End result is about 2 nicks and chips on the hood near the bumper.

I guess Murphy's law applied itself. I am mad, but hey I will have it touched up...that's life. If it didn't get chipped now, it would have got chipped while driving to pickup my license plates next week...maybe. The car is utterly beautiful in my garage, and incredible to drive...

As for the DRL's (which are mandatory in Canada), my car has NAV (+ PCM) and bi-xenons, and there is an option in the PCM to enable them. Once the inspection is complete I will disable them, as the DRL's are the xenons and I don't want to burn the bulbs and have my lights on during the day. The digital speedo was changed via the information controls on the steering wheel.

Anyways, all in all, I would definitely buy another Porsche from the USA. Pics to come this weekend!

Thanks for the help everyone! I love this car!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrads on the new ride, now you just have to endure that long wait till spring.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds sweet! Congrats and.... where are the pics?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your RS60! The car is an absolute blast to drive. I was sorry to have to put my car away for the winter recently. For now I'll have to survive on a diet of car magazines and car forums.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats! Stunning cars.

Post some pictures when you get the chance.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
bueller20
Intermediate

Pics in the garage. I still need to get my plates, and my cover is coming in the mail. I will give her a wash before she's put away covered though!

Better pics will come in April/May, so these will have to do

Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Nice photos. You have a lot to look forward to in the spring!

As for plates, if your bumper has not been drilled yet order the front plate holder from moweraxle. It uses the opening for the front tow hook and then you don't have to drill into the bumper. I'm really happy with mine. I'll try to see if I have a pic to post with it later.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM
bueller20
Intermediate

Thanks for the input Dino!

I do not have a front plate bracket as of yet (nor the holes). During my searches through this forum I did stumble upon the moweraxle mount...I am still up in the air about it though. Something about it being off center bothers me a bit
Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Dino944
Drifting

I understand your feelings about it being off center. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning. But in a very short time you get so used to it you don't even think about it. I actually like it now, and you can always eventually drill the bumper if you want to...but once you drill the bumper there is no going back. Yea, you can add the bumper plug things, but its still not the same.

Here are a few bad camera phone photos, of my RS60 with moweraxel plate holder. I know there are others that probably have better photos available.

Best regards,
Dino

Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
bueller20
Intermediate

Beautiful car Dino (and nice Ferrari too)! I still need to think about that front plate though...I guess I have the next 4 winter months to decide..!

Thanks again
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by bueller20
Beautiful car Dino (and nice Ferrari too)! I still need to think about that front plate though...I guess I have the next 4 winter months to decide..!

Thanks again
Thanks. They make for a fun spring/summer.

It will be a tough 4-5 months while the cars are hibernating.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

din0 - i can't believe you haven't swapped out those orange side markers yet?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
din0 - i can't believe you haven't swapped out those orange side markers yet?
Hi Cpa4S,

I don't know, they don't really bother me. I'm used to amber markers on all my cars. I briefly considered swapping them, but I'm kind of huge on originality...maybe it from too much time in the Fcar forums/shows. I know they have clear ones in Europe so maybe its not really a big deal. Maybe I'll look at some photos of them on the forum, then look into doing it this spring when the car is rescued from hibernation I hope you had a great driving season with your RS60.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice congratulations!!! enjoy it!!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Dino944
Hi Cpa4S,

I don't know, they don't really bother me. I'm used to amber markers on all my cars. I briefly considered swapping them, but I'm kind of huge on originality...maybe it from too much time in the Fcar forums/shows. I know they have clear ones in Europe so maybe its not really a big deal. Maybe I'll look at some photos of them on the forum, then look into doing it this spring when the car is rescued from hibernation I hope you had a great driving season with your RS60.

Best regards,
Dino
This orange side marker thing is a particularly silly issue with daytime driving lights. I changed the oranges ones to clear on my 997 and quickly figured out they glow orange anyway unless you disable the daytime lights. Save the few bucks and stick with the orange ones.

Originally Posted by bueller20
Thanks for the input Dino!

I do not have a front plate bracket as of yet (nor the holes). During my searches through this forum I did stumble upon the moweraxle mount...I am still up in the air about it though. Something about it being off center bothers me a bit
I also agonized a bit over the plate mounting options and ended up going with the Skene Design alternative. It's a stealth-drill install which makes it reversible, plus it allows a large amount of flexibility as to how high/low you want to mount your plate - you could even mount off-centre if you really wanted to...

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

Nice choice on the RS60 - I came "this close" to buying a low mile example myself before I bought my C2S cab and I still keep watching for low mile examples for sale.

Lucky guy! Congrats.

Quick Reply: New (to me) RS60 - Imported to Canada