Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Crashed the Spyder today....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW! Sorry to see this damage. Glad you're OK. She protected you pretty well. Thank, God.

How did this accident happen?

So, it's leased. If totaled, you might be needing gap insurance to come out whole.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm what is gap insurance? I know I have full coverage, but not sure about gap?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GAP insurance is for paying the difference between what the insurance company will pay you if your car is totaled, and the amount you owe on the car.
For example, you financed $65k on the car, and the coverage you get only covers $60k if the car is totaled, you are responsible for the $5k difference. GAP insurance is an option to cover the "gap".
Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Hmmm what is gap insurance? I know I have full coverage, but not sure about gap?
Full coverage is not the same as gap insurance as was noted by a previous poster. Its generally offered at the time of the purchase or lease of the vehicle. I think I've only been offered gap insurance at the dealer at the time of purchase, and not through my insurance company.

Also, not sure how often you deal with insurance matters, but the term "full coverage" is often misleading to consumers. People often do not realize that even with full coverage you may not have enough insurance to deal with certain issues. I work in an industry with lots of auto insurance claims and you would be surprised how many people think they have enough coverage to pay certain things because and agent told them they have "full coverage." Frequently, they are shocked to learn that they really don't have enough coverage. Once everything is sorted out you might want to take a very close look at the options on your policy to make sure you really have enough coverage. I can only tell you that I've seen plently of people foolishly shaving off maybe $20-50 their an annual premium, sometimes at the suggestion of an agent trying to save or retain business, only to later learn after an accident that they removed or reduced important coverage options.

Sorry about the car. But I'm glad to hear no one got hurt, thats the most important thing!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:01 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl02832
GAP insurance is for paying the difference between what the insurance company will pay you if your car is totaled, and the amount you owe on the car.
For example, you financed $65k on the car, and the coverage you get only covers $60k if the car is totaled, you are responsible for the $5k difference. GAP insurance is an option to cover the "gap".
Excellent response & info.

People buying and leasing, high value cars, with little or no downpayment, should consider Gap Insurance, to protect themselves in these potential situations.

I would assume the Gap Insurance could be dropped at a later date, once they are not "upside down" on the financials.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Excellent response & info.

People buying and leasing, high value cars, with little or no downpayment, should consider Gap Insurance, to protect themselves in these potential situations.

I would assume the Gap Insurance could be dropped at a later date, once they are not "upside down" on the financials.
GAP insurance isn't something I deal with, but I believe the finance/sales people offer it to consumers at the time of purchase (along with other dealer extras like scotch guard, paint protection, etc) and it can be included in the total purchase price or lease amount. So I think its a one time fee and there is no coverage to drop.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Updates on the estimate and repair.....

Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

$895 for airbag..ouch... at least it is not totalled ! that's the good news ! I wonder how long it will take to get it back on the road... you did not say how you ended up under a prius ?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

The cars in front of me just locked up their brakes on the freeway going about 45 and I just didn't have enough time to react.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Mechanical labor rate looks too low to be Porsche dealer techs doing the mechanical work. My experience is you do not want a body shop doing the mechanical work on your Porsche.

Also, according to Porsche Approved Collision Center Program which the shop should be that is repairing your car BTW, should be using one of the PACC paint systems: Spies Hecker, Standox, or Glasurit.

If the car needs straightening -- and it should be checked to verify all hardpoints are in the proper place -- PACC recognizes Celette Bench or Car Bench. No other "benches' are recognized.

Also, Porsche does not publish hardpoint location tolerances. Celette (or Car) provide (rent usually) appropriate jig/fixtures that a body shop uses to check hardpoint locations.

Many body shops skip the above step cause bench time and jig/fixture rental is sometimes not approved by the insurance company. But PACC shops should insist and do this step to ensure the car's straight.

And this means not only the drivetrain, steering or suspension hardpoints, but the hardpoints the body panels attach to like teh bumper cover, the fender, and so on. That these points are properly positioned ensures the new body panels will fit with a gap/fit that is indistinquishable from factory.

I see another poster commented on the price of an airbag. When my Cayman S was hit both driver and passenger airbags went off. When the passenger air bag goes off it destroys the dash. $895 for an airbag is one thing. $2000+ for a new dash is another...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$2800 for an instrument panel? yikes!

nearly $20K right now.. and they haven't even dug into the car to find the "hidden suprises"!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 218 Likes on 36 Posts

check your lease agreement . Most leases include gap insurance nowadays ....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Macster. The work is being done at Superior Auto Body in San Carlos which is a PACC, apparently one of 22 in the country they told me. This is also where Carlsen recommended I get the repair work done.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Thanks for the info Macster. The work is being done at Superior Auto Body in San Carlos which is a PACC, apparently one of 22 in the country they told me. This is also where Carlsen recommended I get the repair work done.
Sounds good. I was not aware there were any PACC's in the USA. Last time I delved into this -- a year ago last June -- the word I got from more than one wanna-be PACC shop was that the shop had done all that was necessary to qualify but was waiting for Porsche to setup the necessary classes that were needed to complete the certification process.

From what I read in your post, it would appear Porsche has moved forward and shops are getting certified.

(Just this AM received an email from a friend who's working at another PACC shop in the north bay.)

Remember in CA we can take the car where ever we want and the car is expected to be repaired as good as humanly possible.

I'd state in a letter to the body shop and Carlsen that you expect these two businesses to work together to ensure the car is fixed properly, as good as humanly possible, so the car suffers no loss of value, the new car warranty remains in effect over the entire car, and when the car is turned in at lease end its residual value is unaffected.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Crashed the Spyder today....