Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke the air box tab

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke the air box tab

Had my wife with me to pick up the car on Sunday deciding not to trailer it home. She wasn't happy about the 2 hours of the trip and the extra 1.5 hours spent at pickup. I made the mistake while waiting for pickup to get into the engine compartment (first time) and change the air filter. I was rushing to get it done and never thought the screw 4" above the filter was connected to another part on the filter. I snapped it right off.

What is the fix for this? It is a clean break and I understand Hemmings had a recent artical on plastic repair with 80% strength. I was also thinking I may be able to drill a new hole throug the box and the air filter attachment bracket, but am concerned about potential cracking. Currently the filter bracket is secured to the air box with racers tape.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend crazy glue for plastics to repair and reinstall for the OE look. Most of the weight of the bracket is held by the air-filter clamped via stainless steel bracket.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:33 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be fabing a piece in the next couple of days. Have some liquide weld and some lite aluminum stock to add as support. There is more shearing force on the part than anything else and the bracket is only to insure that the filter doesn't back off it's rear attachment point by moving forward. I hope it is a relatively easy fix. Also spoke with PCNA and the dealer today. No manuals for 987's since the cars went all computer. Indie shops will have to continue buy the down loads specific to the car area and at a higher price.

Quick Reply: Broke the air box tab