Notices

Who runs their ac while top down

Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM
cvazquez
User

Default Who runs their ac while top down

Is it harmful for the ac to run with the top down?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 AM
sjfehr
Super User

Nah, not at all. You're wasting gas to run the compressor is about it. I like having the cold AC blow on my to compensate for the lack of wind whenever traffic slows or I have to stop, etc.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:34 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

I run the compressor when I'm stopped at lights or creeping through stop/start traffic, but otherwise turn it off when the car is moving with the top down. It's hot and humid here in Houston and a/c is a necessity when there's no airflow to keep you comfortable.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
yabbo
User

i run the AC on hot days when the tops down... you still get a cool breeze from the ac even with the wind blowing in your hair and when your stopped at a red light you really get to enjoy the AC
Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 PM
cvazquez
User

Fantastic... I'm going to do the same from now on and run the ac with the top down! : )
Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 AM
tinman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I do, I just run it low, and it is true, a stop in the sun will warm up quick, even in just the high 70's here in SoCal, always keep extra caps, scarves, headgear in your car, for unprepared friends, nothing worse than going out and having your passenger end up looking like a cooked lobster, the day after. If you're not prepared they will prefer to have the top up and ask you to put it up, thus taking the reason for having a an open air car moot.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
cvazquez
User

Originally Posted by tinman View Post
I do, I just run it low, and it is true, a stop in the sun will warm up quick, even in just the high 70's here in SoCal, always keep extra caps, scarves, headgear in your car, for unprepared friends, nothing worse than going out and having your passenger end up looking like a cooked lobster, the day after. If you're not prepared they will prefer to have the top up and ask you to put it up, thus taking the reason for having a an open air car moot.
I've not learned my lesson yet, yesterday ran with the top down and today feeling the pain. I look like this..
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM
sjfehr
Super User

I always keep sunscreen in the glove box, and an extra pair of sunglasses in the passenger's armrest.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:37 PM
mgsimmer
User

Originally Posted by cvazquez View Post
Not in the least.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by cvazquez View Post
Yes it is. I would only do this in a rental car.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
renvagn
User

Has anyone while doing this experienced excessive condensation on the passenger side floor????
I was out this weekend for about an hour in high 80's and we noticed the floor was wet. Anyone know where the A/C drain tube or condensation catch basin is located?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
cvazquez
User

Interesting... never experienced this problem. I recommend checking your ac settings and take-off recycle setting; run the normal settings on ac unit.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
cvazquez
User

Keep all vents on the open position while top down and ac running.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by renvagn View Post
Has anyone while doing this experienced excessive condensation on the passenger side floor????
I was out this weekend for about an hour in high 80's and we noticed the floor was wet. Anyone know where the A/C drain tube or condensation catch basin is located?
You are correct, your A/C drain tube is clogged, and leaking condensation into the cabin.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
renvagn
User

Hi No H2o,

That is what I am thinking. All vents were open, system was not on recycle, but with it being on auto and hot out the fan speed seemed to max it's self out.

Without a mechanics manual, where is the drain tube located and is it accessible? Thanks everyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who runs their ac while top down

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: