Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
stangri
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster road noise?

Hey folks,

I have to resort to the generosity of the community as my local Porsche dealer sucks (I'm waiting for their callback about the test-drive since November last year and alternative dealers are very far away to go there just for a test drive).

Never had a convertible and I'm torn between cayman and boxster now -- I would totally prefer the boxster but I will be making occasional long trips and concerned about the freeway road noise even with the top up.

So how bad is it in the Boxster? Can two people freely talk in the car without raising voices? Or raising voices? How far away from the car you can hear the stereo (when the engine off) so that the volume is sufficient to hear the stereo while driving?

Any problems with the factory of aftermarket bluetooth sets due to the road noise?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Really, no problems relating to road noise with the top up at highway speeds. With the top up its surprisingly quiet even at high speeds. If you are doing a lot of driving with the top down get the "Porsche Windstop deflector." Its only like $375. However, it makes it so much more enjoyable to drive with the top down by keeping the cabin from being really windy, and you can carry on a conversation. My wife and I were concerned about wind noise etc, as we had never owned a convertible until buying the Boxster. But we were both surprised how comfortable and quiet the car is for a covertible with a soft top. Its no problem carrying on a conversation or hearing the stereo.

I have an old targa that if you take off the roof panel, you can't carry on a conversation without shouting (and thats just at city speeds) at highway speeds you can barely hear the stereo even at a really high volume. The Boxster is nothing like that. So if your main concern is wind and road noise go test drive a Boxster with the top up and with it down. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

I've had no problems with road noise in my Boxster. I think you'll be fine either way, just accept a little bit of wind noise and slightly higher sounds intruding into the cabin from passing trucks and such if you go with the Boxster.

Actually, I get more tire noise in my Carrera than my Boxster on a lot of roads because of the wider tire size, and both have PS2s.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

easy to carry on a quiet conversation even when the radio is on - don't worry.

you can put the top up on a boxster, but you can't put the top down on a Cayman!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I've taken my Boxster on long trips and its fine. You won't mistake it for a hardtop Cayman, and will get a little 18-wheeler noise when you go by a truck on the Interstate. Remember too, that Porsches are all about keeping the weight off the cars, and as such don't have the sound deadening that you would have in a BMW. There are no sound absorb liners under the hood or truck lids, and in other places in the car (like under the passenger seat) you'll see bare metal. Add to that big honkin' tires and you're going to get a fair amount of ambient road noise. The stock radio is adequate, but not going to win any accolades for high fidelity. I added rear speakers to my car behind the headrests and that helps a lot when on the highway with the top up.

Top down, the car is quiet enough with the windows up and wind blocker installed. You can have a normal conversation at 70 mph without straining. Good airflow management in the car.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
stangri
6th Gear

Thank you all guys for your prompt reply -- Internet 1, lousy dealer 0.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
I've had no problems with road noise in my Boxster. I think you'll be fine either way, just accept a little bit of wind noise and slightly higher sounds intruding into the cabin from passing trucks and such if you go with the Boxster.

Actually, I get more tire noise in my Carrera than my Boxster on a lot of roads because of the wider tire size, and both have PS2s.
Second that tire noise observation. My Turbo is noisier with its 18" wheels (and Conti tires) compared to my Boxster with its 17" wheels (and Michelin tires).

The Boxster -- an 02 with the roof liner which earlier model years (at least the base models) didn't come with -- is a pretty quiet car considering it is a convertible.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by stangri
Hey folks,

I have to resort to the generosity of the community as my local Porsche dealer sucks (I'm waiting for their callback about the test-drive since November last year and alternative dealers are very far away to go there just for a test drive).

Never had a convertible and I'm torn between cayman and boxster now -- I would totally prefer the boxster but I will be making occasional long trips and concerned about the freeway road noise even with the top up.

So how bad is it in the Boxster? Can two people freely talk in the car without raising voices? Or raising voices? How far away from the car you can hear the stereo (when the engine off) so that the volume is sufficient to hear the stereo while driving?

Any problems with the factory of aftermarket bluetooth sets due to the road noise?

Thanks!
I think you can write off a test drive if you haven't heard back by now.

My 02 Boxster was my first convertible (and will be my last convertible) and has proved to be quite a quiet car. My 08 Cayman S was a bit noisier -- it had 18" wheels/tires and a bit stiffer suspension -- and my 03 Turbo is definitely noisier cause of its 18" wheels/tires and a more stiffly sprung suspension The Boxster has 17" wheels. Probably hard to do now, but 17" is as big as I would go on a Boxster and 18" is as big as I would go on any car that was going to be driven any distance on anything but glass smooth roads.

The Boxster will be my last convertible not because it is a bad car, just the opposite in fact -- it has been the best car I've ever owned -- but because I simply do not use the top down driving mode anymore. Had the Boxster had a hardtop model -- aka the Cayman -- when I was shopping for the Boxster I would have bought the Cayman in a second.

But I wanted the mid-engine experience and the Boxster had the cargo space and everyday usability other mid-engine cars (that I could afford) did not have.

My advice is to take a test ride in both a Boxster and Cayman and see, and hear, for yourself what the noise is like. I say a test ride cause you want to be free to focus on the noise and how well, or not as the case may be, you can carry on a normal conversation with the driver.

I've never had any difficulty talking with a passenger in my Boxster at any speed. It really is all things considered a quiet car.

I never use any of my cars' stereo system and seldom use itheir radio other than to listen to traffic reports while commuting.

Anyhow, see and listen for yourself. Also, decide if you really want a Boxster. If top down driving isn't that big of a deal for you, the Cayman is the better choice.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

My Boxster actually is quiter than my 997 GT-3. Road and tire noise from the 19 inch tires is pretty loud. I have muted it somewhat with DynaMat over the rear wheel arches, but without the DynaMat, it is extremely load.

Even with the top down, with the windstop, it is easy to communicate with a passenger.

Enjoy!

Mark
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I just picked up a new 08 Boxster S and drove from Cleveland to NY without any excessive noise issues at all even with 19" bridgestones. I have the Bose sound system and I would put that in the "not bad" category.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
stangri
6th Gear

Thanks again to everybody who provided the feedback.

Was at the P dealer today, I'm guessing I just got a very lazy salesman before, the new salesman got me both cars I wanted to test-drive, which were the 2010 Bosxter (PDK) and the 2006 Carrera S. While I realize that the 911 is a superior car, it was too hardcore for me for the daily use -- noisier inside, stiffer suspension and brakes, all in all I liked the tamer Boxster much, much more. Oh, insane grip, especially on these little bumps in the road, it's like the car is sticking to the surface.

For the boxster vs cayman, one of the factors is that I'm currently budgeting for the 2005-2006 987 and the caymans weren't available back then so the used cayman will be more expensive than the used 2005-2006 boxster. I'm also not a huge fan of the rear side of the cayman, I would rather get a hardtop for boxster.

And if you've read thus far -- would the Boxster S ride differ from the Boxster ride due to the bigger wheels? I didn't get to drive the S-model which I was thinking of getting, but if it's closer to the Carrera S in the ride I'd rather get the base model. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

I think the suspension is the same on an S and basic Boxster unless you get PASM which is the electronic suspension that adjusts for road and handling conditions. I'm surprized you think the Carrera ride is stiff since it comes with PASM and the Boxster didn't. I own a Carrera and Boxster S and think the Carrera with PASM rides better than the Boxster. A Boxster S with 18" wheels is probably softer riding than with 19" wheels. If you're going to buy a Boxster get the S and don't screw around. Bigger brakes, more power, six speed vs. 5 speed and more standard equipment. Most you will find come with 18" wheels and that should ride and handle just fine. Good luck
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 AM
00r101
Racer

Nope. Boxster S has stiffer rear spring rates to accommodate the extra weight of the engine. PASM cars actually have same rate springs S to base. Also '09+ base and S have same size brakes and both have 6 speeds. So it comes down to the question is 50 HP worth $10K. Of course I will say that almost everyone will ask you "Is it an S?" when you first tell them you have a Porsche. So the other question you have to ask yourself is "am I buying the car to impress people?" if the answer is even partially yes then get the S.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Second that tire noise observation. My Turbo is noisier with its 18" wheels (and Conti tires) compared to my Boxster with its 17" wheels (and Michelin tires).

The Boxster -- an 02 with the roof liner which earlier model years (at least the base models) didn't come with -- is a pretty quiet car considering it is a convertible.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Second that..recently gave up my 2009 Boxster to get back into a Carrera and that is one of the things that bothered me a bit. You will have ambient noise that is not bad as I expected but not as quiet as having a steel top car. So when on the highway you do or I did get some wind buffeting and ambient road noise besides the engine with the top up. Top down its nice and you could enjoy the car/radio and once or twice I even used handsfree on the highway...but you need the windstop piece for that to work out okay. So its pretty quiet for a convertible...but not as quiet as a hardtop Z4 or SLK mind you.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00r101
Nope. Boxster S has stiffer rear spring rates to accommodate the extra weight of the engine. PASM cars actually have same rate springs S to base. Also '09+ base and S have same size brakes and both have 6 speeds. So it comes down to the question is 50 HP worth $10K. Of course I will say that almost everyone will ask you "Is it an S?" when you first tell them you have a Porsche. So the other question you have to ask yourself is "am I buying the car to impress people?" if the answer is even partially yes then get the S.
I don't think the S stands for status. I'm referring to pre 09 models where the S has a six speed and bigger brakes along with a few standard options. Drive them all and decide, sports cars don't ride like luxury cars. If the 911 or Boxster ride is too stiff look into an SLK MB or Z4 BMW. I've owned 6 P cars and feel they provide a great overall balance of ride and handling. But, it's pretty subjective. You win no matter which model you buy.

Quick Reply: Boxster road noise?