Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster road noise?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:42 PM
etcwhitlock
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I am not sure what is up with my car, then. The faster I go, the louder the road noise from the rear of the car. the tires are brand new, and would not expect that much road noise from them. It is so loud that I cannot hear my son talking to me from the passenger seat, and have to turn the music up pretty high to hear it, barely. Can the bearings really cause that much noise?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by etcwhitlock
Wow, I am not sure what is up with my car, then. The faster I go, the louder the road noise from the rear of the car. the tires are brand new, and would not expect that much road noise from them. It is so loud that I cannot hear my son talking to me from the passenger seat, and have to turn the music up pretty high to hear it, barely. Can the bearings really cause that much noise?
You have a definite problem. This is not a characteristic of the car at all. I wonder if it's tire noise due to an alignment issue or low tread wear.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The combination of Pirellii PZeros and chip-seal pavement is utterly deafening. I wouldn't be surprised if the noise level in a Boxster or Cayman reaches 90 dB(A) at highway speeds under the right (wrong) conditions.

MPSS tires help a great deal, and reportedly the new-generation PZeros are also quieter than the ones the 981/991 cars came with. But the pavement surface is always going to be the primary contributor.

Finally -- and I'm not being snarky here -- don't neglect the possibility of a hearing issue. Inability to hear conversational voices in the presence of moderate noise is a potential red flag.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I suggest you drive a similar car at a Porsche dealer and compare noise levels. I'm sure it won't be tough to find a CPO like yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster road noise?