Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stored away for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stored away for winter?

so how many out there are also a member of the winter storage group?

mine is stored in a locked wharehouse about 20 minutes drive away. i can get access if i want but it has to be during a week day.

i will likely go in february and take a look at the baby to see how it is taking the solitude!

this is my second year of storage - always kept the C4s going through the winter - seems easier this year. last year i almost sold the RS 2 months into storage as i guess i had kind of forgotten how good looking it was!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
so how many out there are also a member of the winter storage group?

mine is stored in a locked wharehouse about 20 minutes drive away. i can get access if i want but it has to be during a week day.

i will likely go in february and take a look at the baby to see how it is taking the solitude!

this is my second year of storage - always kept the C4s going through the winter - seems easier this year. last year i almost sold the RS 2 months into storage as i guess i had kind of forgotten how good looking it was!
I do not how to do it, but be very sure the car's protected against rodent infestation. Also, be sure the car's insurance covers the car while it is stored off site. Some insurance companies require the car be garaged at a private residence for the insurance to remain in effect.

Last, be sure you have full coverage, comprehensive coverage, all risk, whatever it is called, in case storage roof collapses from too much snow and smashes into car, for example.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Both of my fun cars are in storeage for the winter. It was really tough putting the RS60 in storeage because after buying it, I really only got to drive it a a few times before I had to put it away for the winter. I go and check on my cars regularly as the RS60 is only a few minute away by car. We've had a lot of snow in the last few weeks. The ground is covered with salt, sand, and rocks and gravel from potholes that have opened , so I'm glad my cars are not being battered with that stuff. I can't wait for Spring to arrive.

I agree with Macster about the insurance thing, make sure you have all the coverage you need incase someone happens while the car is in storage. I have exotic car insurance for one of my cars and they wanted pix and a description of where it was being garaged, since it would not be at my home. The insurance company handling the RS60 did not care where it was garaged, but it had to be in the same zip code in which I live or the rate would change.

As for rodents some people say if you put a perimeter of moth ***** out it keeps them away. I also recently saw something about a product that is good for 30 days, supposedly smells like pine, and keeps rodents away, its around $18 per package.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i didn't even put a cover on mine last year as the building is almost dust free and very secure.

put in gas additive and increased inflation to 50 lbs, disconnected battery and left hood open and windows down an inch
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is stored at home. i had to get a remote start in my dd since it lost its garage space to the boxster. It gets a little nippy in the morning without it.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Mine is is my mother-in-law's garage with lots of psi's in the tires, a trickle charge, full insurance, and full cover. Only had a chance to drive it one time after I bought it. Weather is warming up a tad - might be low risk of snow, but lots of filthy slush and dirty water on the roads from all the melting snow. I am absolutely itching to take it out - and I will pretty soon, but dread getting it covered in road muck. Not easy to hand wash a car in 35 degree weather! ACK!

Doug
Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Ha! I've got one at mother-in-law's garage too. We should start a thread on this subject.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Brando47
Track Day

Dude that is brutal...that's why I love livin in LA!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by Brando47
Actually, I live in AZ. She's garaged until July when my 335i lease is up, after which it will become my daily driver.

But, your're right, it's brutal.

This 987 is white with a cocoa top and tan interior, 19' tires and has only 6800 miles (2007). It was a gift to my wife who didn't like the shifter, but I couldn't bring myself to buy an automatic. Women.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brando47
cost of getting out skiing/snowshoeing/skating etc - - but i hear you

4 wheel slides in snow are amazing fun though - everyone should do them once in what ever they drive
Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Actually, I live in AZ. She's garaged until July when my 335i lease is up, after which it will become my daily driver.
Wow - that's cool. My Boxster is also waiting to be my DD as MY 335i is ALSO going back off lease in July. So how have you liked your bimmer?

Doug
Old 03-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by Boxster in my Future?
Wow - that's cool. My Boxster is also waiting to be my DD as MY 335i is ALSO going back off lease in July. So how have you liked your bimmer?

Doug
Doug,

335i: liked mine a lot. Very high quality, beautiful IMO, feels faster than 300hp would suggest, handles amazingly well for a sedan, and extremely reliable. My kids however thought the ride was a little harsh in back (thank the sports package and run flats for that). They're used to my wife's LR3.

When did you get your Boxster? And.. how'd you like your 335i?

George

Last edited by Putt-Putt; 03-15-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: personalized
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Boxster in my Future?
Advanced

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Doug,

335i: liked mine a lot. Very high quality, beautiful IMO, feels faster than 300hp would suggest, handles amazingly well for a sedan, and extremely reliable. My kids however thought the ride was a little harsh in back (thank the sports package and run flats for that). They're used to my wife's LR3.

When did you get your Boxster? And.. how'd you like your 335i?

George
Hi George,

I totally agree with your comments about the bimmer. Mine is an E93 (the retractable hardtop convertible). It is the best car I've ever had. I have not had the high pressure fuel pump or oil cooler problems some have complained about, and other than going through the OEM tires with only 20K miles, it too has been as reliable as can be. Mine is pretty loaded with the iDrive, NAV, bluetooth, iPod, USB, sirius, Logic 7, etc. etc. It is amazingly smooth and stelthy fast. When I first got it, my brother and I went for a short trip and found myself bogged down in a bunch of 50 mph snails. I went to pass them all and while I didn't floor it, I did give it a bit of a hit - turned out I was going 110 mph and I had no idea - felt like 60. And, that was with the top down, too!

I will miss this car, but am really looking forward to driving the Porsche. I will probably get some sort of winter beater, and I would love to get a BMW wagon, but that's probably going to hike my combined car payments too high. We shall see.

I got my Boxster 3 weeks ago. It's a 2009 leftover that I got for a fabulous price (25% off sticker).

btw... mine is black with red leather. Love it! (btw --- that's the reflection of my yellow lab in the right rear fender!)
Attached Images   
Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Nice Doug. Those seats are cool. That convertible was in high demand back in 07. Mine's a coupe, which believe it or not cost me only $560 a month (inlcuding taxes) plus $2500 down upon pickup. A steal for a car of this quality.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

To both of you with boxster s and bmw 335... I'm actually considering both cars as we speak. I’m leaning towards picking up a good 06-07 boxster s, but my girl objects because it will leave no room for our dog: a chocolate lab (best breed ever). I tell her that, in the oft days that we take short trips (to the beach or to the Michigan lake house = max 1.5 hrs), the dog can sit with her in the footwell… hehe. The car will be my daily driver.

I have test driven both, and liked better the boxster. I know they are different cars made for different purposes, but the box was amazing. The 335 coupe I drove was an 07 certified, sport package, loaded (navi, etc)…it was good, but had the tiptronic tranny which I hated. I did not like the surging feeling and lack of crispness when pressing the throttle (and my last car had a turbo, but was a 5spd, so I know turbo lag). I would think the 6 spd would be better. Also, how does the 335 convertible handle? I’m concerned that the extra weight will make it a bit ponderous.

Feel free to share your experiences with both cars. It will help in my decision. Thanks much.

Quick Reply: stored away for winter?