Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Boxster to use a 4-cyliner engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 449 Posts
Default 2011 Boxster to use a 4-cyliner engine

So I was flipping through my new R&T magazine when I came across the 2011 boxster in the Top 10 cars to watch out for list. They stated that Porsche will ditch the flat-6 and put a turbocharged 4-cylinder in the car. Supposed to make around 270hp. Also that there might be a turbo-diesel boxster by 2013. But on the plus side, the car will be wider, have a longer wheelbase, but also be lighter. The car will also cost less than the current model.

So what do you guys think? Would you buy it?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:01 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll express my opinion which is not based on any specific facts. This would be a great opportunity for Porsche to use some of their magic to develop a four cylinder Turbo that would be as good as the flat six. In the next decade we are going to see huge changes in the automobile world.New technologies and the way that we like thing will be affected. Look at it this way, the use of a 2-6-8 cylinder doesn't make a difference as long as it gets the job done. The technology is there it's the customers who have a difficult time accepting it.I trust those german engineers to give us some interesting cars.

PS: I'd buy the Cayman. I'm not the convertible type.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

I'm personally kind of sad. I've always loved the sound of the Flat-6. That is going to be hard to replicate with a turboed 4.

But FI seems to be the future for high performance vehicles. Makes me sad. I personally love High-Revving naturally aspirated engines. Like the M3's V8 or the M5's V10. Plus NA engines just sound 100x better to me. The new M3 is supposed to have a V6 Turbo. They are saying it will probably not even be an inline-6.

Like if I had the choice between Audi's 2.0T with 200hp or a BMW 3.0L with the same amount of power, I would always take the Naturally aspirated one. Even if both cars have the same acceleration. I just haven't come to except 4-cylinders again. It's like my whole life growing up, kids start with 4-cylinders and then aspire to own V6s and V8s. Now all those cars seem to be decreasing and we r going right back to smaller engines.

But if this is the future, I will eventually have to accept it if this is what all manufacturers are doing. I just hope they can make the cars sound good and that they can make high-revving turbo motors.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Here's the Article:

Purists might cringe at the thought, but the latest information out of Germany is that Porsche will put a 4-cylinder into the next-generation Boxster, due out in 2011. Possibly an even tougher pill to swallow, it's rumored a turbodiesel will find its way into Porsche's mid-engine convertible by 2013!

Why such drastic measures? With ever-increasing emissions and fuel economy regulations, automakers need to find ways to build more efficient cars. And Porsche's intent with the next Boxster — expected to be launched at the 2011 Geneva auto show — is to build nothing less than the most economical Porsche ever.

To achieve this lofty goal, Porsche will put a small-displacement turbocharged inline 4-cylinder sourced from the VW/Audi family into the Boxster. But fear not, it will still have plenty of power, to the tune of about 270 bhp we're told. While VW Group's direct-injected 2.0T is the most obvious choice, rumors have circulated that Porsche might scrap that plan and design a horizontally opposed turbocharged 4-cylinder of its own, which would be more in keeping with Porsche's boxer tradition and its inherent low center of gravity.

Besides the smaller, lighter engine, Porsche also aims to take weight out of the Boxster's body and chassis. The new car will ride on a slightly longer wheelbase and have a wider track. Every single body panel will also be new, although the Boxster's basic silhouette will remain. Notable changes include higher, more pronounced fenders, a shorter front overhang, larger side air intakes and door-mounted mirrors. Although driving a Boxster without the familiar flat-6 wail will be strange, it's sure hard to argue with a car that's less expensive, lighter, better performing and more like its spritual forefather, the 550.

-Roadandtrack.com
Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe any of these reports. They are so speculative that I wonder if hey are made to scare up new sales for existing models with the current prefered layout.

It will not be a Boxster if the engine is not a Boxer.

Call it a 914 then. That model does not specify the engine payout in it's very own name.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Purists might cringe at the thought, but the latest information out of Germany is that Porsche will put a 4-cylinder into the next-generation Boxster, due out in 2011
Is there such a thing as a boxster purist? If they are just taking about Porsche in general, then the real purists (the 356 guys) will be happy that Porsche is finally returning to their roots (4 cylinder engines) after having strayed for the last 40+ years ;-)
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

I would not consider that a bad idea afterall, the price of the Boxster is close to the price of the Cayman which is close, but not as close to the price of a 997....I say "Why not?"...look VW lost their time window of opportunity to produce a sporty reasonably priced car...and no, the EOS, nor the Beetle convertible do not qualify as sportscars....If it could be done, it would be a great "intro" car for a first time Porsche buyer, look at how many Mercedes C230 Sports they sold (or used as dealer loaners, then sold).....giving a first time brand buyer a chance to buy a car, and with the MBZ you were talking about a car that started at about $30K USD, but more likely sold for around less than $35K by the time it was optioned out...it's the loss leader concept...I have friends that are afraid to walk into Porsche dealerships although they can afford boxsters, or 987's.....the market is full of slots and its up to the manufacturers to make cars that fit each slot....it's all about sales and money...if there is a need they should do it, after all who would have thought that they would have gotten back into the large car market with the Panamara years ago...JMHO
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Takes money to make magic and Porsche got all its money....

Originally Posted by J-F-O
I'll express my opinion which is not based on any specific facts. This would be a great opportunity for Porsche to use some of their magic to develop a four cylinder Turbo that would be as good as the flat six. In the next decade we are going to see huge changes in the automobile world.New technologies and the way that we like thing will be affected. Look at it this way, the use of a 2-6-8 cylinder doesn't make a difference as long as it gets the job done. The technology is there it's the customers who have a difficult time accepting it.I trust those german engineers to give us some interesting cars.

PS: I'd buy the Cayman. I'm not the convertible type.
tied up on debt trying to get 75% of VW. Ran of time and economy. Porsche VW merging.

UK car mags talking about 4-cyl. Porsches but engines will not be some super duper Porsche designed engines but existing Audi/VW engines, 1.8l turbo-charged straight 4s maybe even diesels.

Engines small, powerful, and already exist. Read cheap. No expensive engine development project needed. Takes big bucks to bring new engine to market, big bucks Porsche doesn't have now.

Would I buy one? No, well, probably not not after having two 6s (one for only 29 days but that's another story...), but I wouldn't have bought Cayenne either or Panamera and that didn't stop Porsche from building either car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Macster is right about the VW Porsche relationship...and a 4 cylinder Boxster may not be the choice of probably 97% of previous Porsche owners...but it opens the door to a whole new set of customers...so it could be the "starter" Porsche for people, or the status symbol for those that don't or won't ever appreciate engineering and abilities of today's lineup...it could be the upscale VW Cabriolet (which VW screwed up, by not offering it, or a New Beetle with a sunroof in it for the first few years...that is akin to the Cayman not having any open air options...how about a full folding hardtop in the future)...I think for sales and marketing purposes it would serve Porsche well, it will get slammed for not being a "true Porsche", as the Boxster did/does...but that's another issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Hopefully they keep a flat 6 in the S version. I remember the first time I drove a 986. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face. I hope they keep the boxster recipe at least somewhat close to what it is now so that I can look forward to buying one in maybe 10 years...if med school and residency ever end.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:26 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Master Deep.....I can remember driving my first Porsche, it was a 1976 914 2.0....I wanted to get rid of my 1973 Chevy Camaro Z28 right away....it had such an unusual feel to it....it was like driving for the first time....next Porsche drive was a classmate's dad's 1976 (yes it was 1976) 912.....EVEN that was a thrill, then I got a side job, girlfriend's uncle was rich, had 5-7 cars in Century City (next to Beverly Hills, y'all)....I got paid to drive them and keep them up....one of them was a 1977 Turbo Carrera, soon after they dropped the Turbo Carrera lettering under the whale tail to just Turbo,...it was an import, not sure or who got it certified, (there was also a Rolls Corniche convertible, a BMW 6 series, a Mercedes SLC...my favorite for road trips)....but I used the Turbo the most as my "daily"....hey, I was young back then...didn't go to medical school because I was too immature and my parents didn't approve of my plan to take a year off and go to Europe...(hey, I wasn't gonna pay for it...and it would have given me a more worldly perspective which I definitely did not have at that time. Eventually stayed in medical field, just a pharmacist. Good luck, paying off loans, affording housing, and finding a wife that will let you do what you want...I was lucky enough to have found one....).

Last edited by tinman; 05-16-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of random thoughts as I read that article as well...

It might be a good thing to buy a 2010 Boxster as the last of the flat 6 versions...

Porsche has already helped design a flat 4 turbo engine. It's in the Subaru Legacy GT. MY wife has this car and it produces 250 HP (2005) so 270 seems very possible. Good power for a 3500 # AWD car but there is significant turbo lag...

Porsche, as well as ther rest of the automobile industry seems to have a very hard time making anything lighter (significantly that is). I'll believe it when I see it.

If the 2011 model comes with 270 HP and could come in at 2700 #'s it would be a very attractive roadster. Particularly if it could get 30+ MPG on the Highway and come in at 40K or so.

YMMV
Old 05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a slightly older thread on this on the Boxster board. Hey wait...isn't this the Boxster board? What..?? There are two..?? Huh...

Anywho...a couple of random thoughts...

Does it actually say they're dropping the 6 cyl? ..or just adding a turbo 4 and a diesel option?

Or maybe they are dropping the 6 cyl, and it's because the next 911 is going to be mid-engined and they still don't want the "competition" from the Boxster.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 971 Likes on 542 Posts

The best gasoline powered cars, sports cars, sedans, etc - ever to be produced, are being built right now and over the next few model years before these new regulations kick in. After that, its all downhill for a long time, the auto industry is entering the dark ages because the regulations are outstripping the ability of technology delivery.

The only thing the automakers can do - is make the cars lighter, and composites are too expensive right now. So the weight savings will come from smaller sized cars, and out of the safety margin in them. Engine power will decline, and about the best you can say is that the HP to weight ratio in your smaller, more cramped, less safe car will remain about the same through use of direct injection and turbocharging.

Who is going to buy a Porsche with a VW 4 banger in it? Not me. I'll buy preowned cars, and so will alot of other people.

Quick Reply: 2011 Boxster to use a 4-cyliner engine