Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self dimming mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 AM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self dimming mirrors

Can this option be retrofitted to the 2009 Boxster. Found a nice example, but it's missing this option.

What would be the benefit of any if this option didn't come with the car? Are the outside mirrors not already tinted in the first place. Is the rain sensor really that awesome?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

the self dimming mirror is fantastic when driving with the top down at night

the regular mirror, when tilted at night, will shine every street light into your face, or a full moon etc, and you won't be able to see the cas behind you very well

the self dimming one doesn't have this problem

on the 986 you can retrofit it, but I'm not sure about the 987
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 PM
ettsn
Pro

Don't know if it can be retrofitted on the 987. I've got selfdim/rainsensing on my Cayman and I really like it. Didn't have it on my Boxster, but in retrospect wish I did.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
aren040
4th Gear

Personally, I think that the automatic wipers are a annoyance, but I really love the auto-dimming mirrors. They are pretty much a must in any future car that I will have.

-aren
Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard it is near impossible to retrofit something like this. We've all survived just fine for 10, 20, 30, or even 50 years of driving without electronic "self dimming mirrors". I purposely did not order them on my latest 997 - I just don't care for them and I can flip the toggle if I want. My A4 has them and I leave them in "manual mode" because they basically black out my vision of what's behind me.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've heard it is near impossible to retrofit something like this. We've all survived just fine for 10, 20, 30, or even 50 years of driving without electronic "self dimming mirrors". I purposely did not order them on my latest 997 - I just don't care for them and I can flip the toggle if I want. My A4 has them and I leave them in "manual mode" because they basically black out my vision of what's behind me.
Ron, dealer confirmed that it is impossible since the dain sensor is built into the self feature. Rain Sensor is not a must, but it would be nice to have an auto dimming mirror.

So you really do not miss this feature on the 911? Very interesting to hear this...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
aren040
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RonCT
Yes, and I agree with you, but then again we have been doing just fine for 10, 20, and 30 years without full leather interiors, power steering, power braking, disk brakes, radios, or A/C units.

But that doesn't mean that they are not an important part of the driving experience.

I enjoy mine a lot and I always have it on as 99% of the time it does the job I want it to do perfectly.

-aren
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

self dimming mirrors are an essential, and rain (moisture) sensing wipers I find are convenient....at times you may not want them on, to avoid the "swiped" look, but it beats fiddling around when you have other things on your mind, like driving, work, the idiots on the road beside you, the real idiot behind you, .... in SoCal, we get little moisture, but in areas that do, I think it's a must.....look, it's one less thing for you to do, that could cause you to get into an accident, attention distracted a tad to turn on wipers if you don't have it.....and even if you are the master of the stalks of your steering wheel...it only takes a split instant for something to happen....believe me...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

my RS doesn't have them but the GTS does - i like the slef dimming as well - go to Suncoast - ric knabb - they sell the aftermarket oem.

on the other side i often just "shut off" my rvm a lot - fold it up and use the side mirrors because those are all you really need

Quick Reply: self dimming mirrors