Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boxster Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 PM
newboxster
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Boxster Questions

Hello everyone, nice to meet you.

Last weekend I purchased a new (to me) 2007 Boxster with manual transmission and CPO warranty. I've used the board search function and also found Mr. Focke's comprehensive page, but wonder if anyone could addres a few questions I've not yet found answers to?

1. Currently the car is in storage awaiting summer. However, I will be driving the car year-round as daily transportation. Does anyone put all-season tires (specifically Goodyear F1) on for winter driving? Tirerack lists them in the correct 18" sizes but not under "2007 Boxster". Will the TPMS cause issues?

2. I'd like to get a set of covercraft "seat saver" one-piece seat covers to preserve the leather seats. However, I can't seem to find any one-piece versions listed for the 2006+ models; I found one gentleman who does have a pattern for the earlier seats. Are the seats in the 1997-2005 models dimensionally the same? (i.e. locations of seatback releases, etc. are not of concern, just fitting over the cushion/back) Any other suggestions?

3. Is there a simple way of cutting a spare key to put under the car for if/when I lock the keys inside? Previous threads discussed this as a dealer-only item. Apparently there is a third "plastic" key delivered that the dealer typically discards.

4. Finally, I've used Deltran "battery tenders" (or junior model) on my cars for some years, but I've always connected a pigtail directly to the battery. Even though all previous posters attested to the safety of using the cigarette lighter plug for charging, are there any concerns running the voltage through the electrical system?

Thanks for your time & help. I typically perform all my own maintenance/repair (excepting alignments/tires, I have two lifts) but have never owned a Porsche before.

Best,

Carl
Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
wheeze
Advanced

Congrats. I too just got a new (to me) 2007 Boxster CPO. What color? Don't have any answers for you, but glad to hear I'm not the only one crazy enough buy a convertible in the middle of winter
Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Where you located? You may get by alright with the regular tires....

Originally Posted by newboxster
Hello everyone, nice to meet you.

Last weekend I purchased a new (to me) 2007 Boxster with manual transmission and CPO warranty. I've used the board search function and also found Mr. Focke's comprehensive page, but wonder if anyone could addres a few questions I've not yet found answers to?

1. Currently the car is in storage awaiting summer. However, I will be driving the car year-round as daily transportation. Does anyone put all-season tires (specifically Goodyear F1) on for winter driving? Tirerack lists them in the correct 18" sizes but not under "2007 Boxster". Will the TPMS cause issues?

2. I'd like to get a set of covercraft "seat saver" one-piece seat covers to preserve the leather seats. However, I can't seem to find any one-piece versions listed for the 2006+ models; I found one gentleman who does have a pattern for the earlier seats. Are the seats in the 1997-2005 models dimensionally the same? (i.e. locations of seatback releases, etc. are not of concern, just fitting over the cushion/back) Any other suggestions?

3. Is there a simple way of cutting a spare key to put under the car for if/when I lock the keys inside? Previous threads discussed this as a dealer-only item. Apparently there is a third "plastic" key delivered that the dealer typically discards.

4. Finally, I've used Deltran "battery tenders" (or junior model) on my cars for some years, but I've always connected a pigtail directly to the battery. Even though all previous posters attested to the safety of using the cigarette lighter plug for charging, are there any concerns running the voltage through the electrical system?

Thanks for your time & help. I typically perform all my own maintenance/repair (excepting alignments/tires, I have two lifts) but have never owned a Porsche before.

Best,

Carl
If you need to drive in real marginal conditions real snow tires the only real solution.

I've never run anything but the summer tires (though I live in relatively mild ice/snow free bay area so all I have to deal with is rain and wet driving.

If dealer through away 3rd key dealer's an idiot. Its the valet key. Any key shop can cut a key but you need the module to start engine.

Not sure how you'd lock key inside. IIRC only way to lock car is with key.

Get another proper key and module. Have it introduces to car's security system. Have missing key(s) removed.

Can't help you with covers or battery maintainer. I drive my '02 so much I never need battery tender.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Old Chuck
Track Day

Default I would look at

Porsche Pete's boxster board for answers. It is related to all things boxster and Mike Focke resides there. I am sure your questions can be answered by many of the boxster owners there. This board is a wealth of information but PPBB is totally related to the Boxster..
Old 02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
00r101
Racer

987 did not come with a valet key. The only key that will start the car is a transponder key and that is expensive. Further more you cannot just get one. Instead you have to have both your old and new keys reprogrammed. If you really insist on having a spare key for opening the door then you can probably get the dealer to cut a copy but that key would only be good a unlocking the door.

Seats for 2005-2008 are one size 1997-2004 another.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some ideas...

1. The issue with the 987 (and 997) tires is the rear tire diameter. As long as it's pretty close, there shouldn't be a problem with ABS, PSM, Speedometer, and Odometer. For example, I think the rears should be 26.3" diameter - so don't be putting a 25" diameter rear tire. The Porsche N-rated tires are "different" than other versions of the same tire - each generation is improved. Right now I think they are on N-4 for 235/265 that are on most 987s. I've always believed in summer tires for summer, winter tires for winter - meaning in your situation I'd leave the better summer rubber on and get a second set of wheels / tires with some snows.

2. Never saw or heard of anyone covering seats in a 987, so can't help you there - only vintage Porsches.

3. All 987s came with a 3rd Valet key (the plastic one you can even fit in your wallet if you want). Mine sure did and I've never heard of anyone (dealer or owner) just throwing away a very expensive and necessary key for a Porsche. If you got that rumor from the dealer, it sounds like he is trying to get out of providing one for you. I believe they have to under the CPO rules - provide all 3 keys (that's what my dealer said). You cannot just cut a new key, that's just part of the equation - without the programmed chip in either the regular or valet key, you aren't going to get far.

4. Electricity is pretty simple. It flows... So whether you connect at the terminal or lighter, it's going to come out or go in. I think I spent $50 for a Porsche brand lighter trickle charger. Works like a charm.

Good luck!
Ron
Old 02-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Motobob
Instructor

I use a Battery Tender (jr) with the cigarette lighter (passenger door is MADE to allow the wire to pass) and do not have any issues; works great. Bob // Colorado
Old 02-27-2009, 03:47 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Motobob,

can you elaborate on your statement about passenger door made to allow wire to pass,... I know, it's probably in the manual somewhere, but reading time takes away from driving time, or staring at my car time.....

shiny things....and tacos.....why? why? why?

howard
Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Motobob,

can you elaborate on your statement about passenger door made to allow wire to pass,... I know, it's probably in the manual somewhere, but reading time takes away from driving time, or staring at my car time.....

howard
Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman
Motobob,

howard
I also use the battery tender. I doubt it's mentioned in the manual but the wire does easily fit under the door because it has a soft rubber seal there. I find it doesn't even leave any bend or kink in the wire. Also the wire is very thin.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

snow tires are NOT just snow tires.

they really should be called "cold temperature" tires and should be manditory in all northern states and pretty much all of Canada.

the proper rubber is needed to deal with lower temperatures - grip etc all require a compliant rubber, and these new tires will drop something like 30% off stopping distances.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:55 PM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Wheeze,
nothing wrong with a convertible in cold weather, I work, yes, required to survive, and I get off like at 2-3 AM, and nothing feels better than bundling up, cranking the heater up (lower vents), and top down....driving through the cold and the mist .... but then again I live in Los Angeles, so the coldest I'll see is upper 30's (brutal....)

howard

Quick Reply: New Boxster Questions