Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 cylinder Boxster in 2011 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 4 cylinder Boxster in 2011 ?

Will it be in current body style or a brand new one? I like the current one a lot but the prices are just too much for me to be a daily. Btw, I have a 996 GT3 (garage queen) and a Cayenne (wife's daily).
Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just do not see his happening.

There is nothing close to offical news yet.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
randyb_boxster
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that rumor somewhere, too. Certainly the recently announced changes in the '10 Cayman and Boxster would not lead you to a conclusion that Boxster hp is on the way down. But these are funny times.

Perhaps they'll reintroduce the 914-4? Or go get a perfectly restored one for <$20k
Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

I think its very logical for Porsche to come out with it: global economy, emission regulations, and those audi/vw turbo 4s are great engines!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...in-2011-a.html

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Thanks, will participate the original thread. Feel free to delete this thread mod, I won't be offended
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't have been a problem if ALL THE BOXSTER / CAYMAN THREADS WERE ONE!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

Why Not.....with Porsche's overtaking of VW, and VW's tendency to underpower their cars from the get-go, I see it as a possibility....Not sure what engine that ugly (IMHO) VW roadster has, but their Scirocco never had any engine talk of anything going over 200 HP....SALES, SALES, SALES...it's all about the money....At times I think that cars should be like those Disneyland cars where you push the accelerator down as hard as you can, but you're not going to exceed the car's preset limit....it would take all the hostility out of "some" people...I live in Los Angeles, and I've seen some waste....such as a Turbo or a Ferrari as a daily driver...Obviously it's about making a statement. Me, I'd get something more comfortable and if I had that much money, I would hire a driver. I'd have the toyz for the playtime; the Carrera GT, The Aston DBS (with the Walther P99 accessory of course), et al......Back to the point it also keeps the Boxster/Cayman platform from creeping up and making it a possible alternative to a 911. Which Porsche has to struggle with....I'm sure they could easily have those cars with the same HP (motor) as the base 911, and I saw a Cayman the other day that looked pretty darn hot...now since that car does not have a sunroof, they should give it a new treatment, like the Targa package....a package not usually associated with track people, but more with Sunday brunch at the Montage people.....I for one would be first in line..... Different cars for different people, you don't want to give a Porsche to your 16 year old because he got straight A's because there's a great chance he would not be around or the same come 17.....off this topic, I'm glad they finally improved to the new auto trans, I had the situation in my VW's, yes I am that low, Tiptronic was like a column shifter, DSG (VW's version of PDK) is sharp and crisp, I only wish they had a larger gear indicator, but then I realized, oh, just watch the revs, duh...I am stupid.

howard
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I saw an article in Car and Driver where Porsche was toying with the idea of a 4 cylinder Boxster. I believe they were talking about the VW 200 hp 2.0 liter turbo. In the A4, this engine puts out something like 211 hp and about 245 lb-ft of torque. Not bad if the price of the Boxster comes down by $5000 or so. They need to do something as sales are down overall. The use of VW engines is not new for Porsches. The Porsche SUV uses a VW 6 cylinder in the base model. The old 914 and 912 (between the 914 and the 924) models used 4 cylinder engines from the old VW bus.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
mbslrm
Intermediate

If it's a boxer, why not....

Subies seems to have enough power with their four cylinders...
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't even think Porsche needs to turbocharge...didn't the 968 get 240hp from a NA 4 cylinder motor? Granted, it was a big one!

This may sound snobby, but I have to re-iterate...if it's not a boxer motor, it's not a Boxster. And at that point, I'd rather buy the VW version.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
kappa87
Intermediate

I would welcome the 2.0turbo. It puts porsche closer to that market for a less expensive convertible that pontiac,saturn and mazda, etc. are filling. Yes, Doug, the 968 gets 240hp NA.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 AM
ettsn
Pro

Doug makes a good point: if it's not a boxer engine, it's not a Boxster (boxer roadster).

That said, I'm all for model line expansion. The more the merrier!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
tinman
Rennlist Member

sorry to have babbled earlier, but Porsche probably won't make a 4 cylinder, although, I think it would be fine. They probably want to maintain their image as the high performance leaders...Sometimes I think getting one of the last 912's (was it 1976) to rebuild would be fun. The 4 cylinder will come in the VW sportscar, as they are putting 2.0's in everything...such as the Scirocco, which is now rumored to be coming to the United States...I love by 06 987S, and I find my 08 VWR32 is somewhat fun....but I have a place in my heart for the Scirocco (hope it's more reliable than my 1982 one was)... Off topic, I think that BMW has done a nice job with the new top on the Z4 convertible....I wouldn't mind that in a Boxster although I know the weight would detract from performance, I did buy the hardtop (50 lbs), but I only used it for the 2nd to 4th month of owning the car, and it sits in my garage, in it's Porsche cover, on its Porsche cart...I should take it out to wax and treat the rubber...but there is no need for it...especialy in Southern California...I just wanted to be "noticed".... & it's a shame that the Cayman doesn't have any roof treatments, such as a small sunroof, or a full glass panel roof to even just tilt up, or best yet, a Targa treatment...now, that I would have bought....

howard

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.”
James Dean, owner of "lil Bastard", Silver Spyder.

Quick Reply: 4 cylinder Boxster in 2011 ?