Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best options on a 987S

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default What are the best options on a 987S

Ok Well the time has come again, and I am looking to buy a porsche 987S in the next 2/3 months.

Now that the credit crunch is here and the second hand car market has gone into free fall, it seams to me to be a good idea to buy.

A few years back i did own a 987S which was an ex-demo car and was one of the very first 987's to be in delivered to UK.

Becuase it was a demo car it had the following options and i was spoilt,

PCM
PASM
Sports Chrono Pack
Heated Seats
19 inch carrera s wheels
BOSE
Active Rain Wipers
Cruise Control
6 disc changer
memory elec seats
phone module
criuse control

now going back and buying another one at a reduced price i dont think ill be looking for all of the above options as some of them were not really used.

For example i found the sports chrono pack, cruise control, memory seats and the 6 disc changer all pretty redundant.

What are the 3 most essential options on a 987?

Thanks

Michael.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, if you want the best ride / feel, remove the following from your list:

PASM - stock suspension is very good and easy to change to coilovers in the future if you want a lowered ride height.

Sport Chrono - does nothing, is a useless dash wart timer. If you want real Sport, get yourself Softronic software instead - remaps the throttle like SC does, but also optimizes the engine for more power / torque.

19" wheels - stick with 18s, you'll get a better ride, better handling, and spend about 50% on replacement tires. In fact, if you buy a car that comes with 18s, I'll swap you for my 19s.

The rest is personal preference...

Ron
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Honestly, no option is "essential". The 987S gives you what is essential in stock form. I believe cruise control is standard.

If you are buying used, or the PC term previously owned, just get the best available specimen for the best price. Assign a value of zero to the options. If they come free, OK. If they make the car cost more, forget it.

A few "nice" options, not essential, IMHO:
Windstop allows more audible conversation with the windows up, and helps heat/cool the cabin even with the top down.
Heated seats help in those cold mornings and you want to start the day with the top down.
Memory seats are nice if there will be more than 1 driver, useless otherwise.

As Ron said, it's really personal preference. Stock 987S has all the essentials.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Are you sure? cruise control is standard on all Porsche 987s ?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

My Dream Boxster would consist of the following options and cost about 20K, not that ive ever found one on the second hand car market, but i guess i can dream. here is my wet boxster dream;-

Cobalt Blue
Savanna Interior
PCM - better than having the tomtom stuck to the windscreen and not having to worry about taking it down every time you park.
PASM - ive done a few track days and this is a must for me, totally changes the dynamics of the car, much more focussed and Cayman like. Not for cruising around town, but for a A to B country road thrashing it ticks all the boxes.
19 Inch Carrera s Wheels - they just look so right on the 987, everything else looks wrong!
Active Rain Wipers - i like the way you dont have to constantly keep changing the speed setting as the rain gets harder and then slower, i thought it was a gimmick at first, but it just works so well, this should have been on the car as standard equipment.
BOSE
Full Leather Int
Sports Seats

Anyway here are the 2 cars i am trying to decide over....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/683783.htm

http://www.autobahn.co.uk/preowned_c...s.aspx?id=6973

which would you choose?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Bartmack
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelscain
My Dream Boxster would consist of the following options and cost about 20K, not that ive ever found one on the second hand car market, but i guess i can dream. here is my wet boxster dream;-

Cobalt Blue
Savanna Interior
PCM - better than having the tomtom stuck to the windscreen and not having to worry about taking it down every time you park.
PASM - ive done a few track days and this is a must for me, totally changes the dynamics of the car, much more focussed and Cayman like. Not for cruising around town, but for a A to B country road thrashing it ticks all the boxes.
19 Inch Carrera s Wheels - they just look so right on the 987, everything else looks wrong!
Active Rain Wipers - i like the way you dont have to constantly keep changing the speed setting as the rain gets harder and then slower, i thought it was a gimmick at first, but it just works so well, this should have been on the car as standard equipment.
BOSE
Full Leather Int
Sports Seats

Anyway here are the 2 cars i am trying to decide over....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/683783.htm

http://www.autobahn.co.uk/preowned_c...s.aspx?id=6973

which would you choose?
I'd vote silver- it ages really well and presents a sharp appearance even when dirty... plus, I've had enough black cars to know that black doesn't do either of those things!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Holy smoke! For someone asking about what is essential, you've picked two VERY loaded cars. They are definitely NOT stripped to the essentials. Both are very simillar cars. It comes down to color and condition, and, finally, price. True, silver stays looking clean longer, but a well detailed dark color also looks stunning. I detail my dark color 987S more frequently than my silver C4S, but I don't see that as a negative. If both cars are in simillar condition, and you have no preference to color, then go to town and give them an unashamedly low ball offer and see which salesman will blink first.

I do have a suggestion. Rather than a loaded 987S, why not check around for an essentially optioned 996/997S?

Here's my take on your options list. Remember, this is only IMHO.
PASM is fine. I keep mine at std for the street, and go sport on the track. But, even the sport mode is inadequate for true track duty. If you want a true track performer, you'll want something better.
BOSE. Porsche sound systems suck. With BOSE, they still suck, but now they sound muddled as well. Better to get a good aftermarket system, or just listen to the flat-6 warble and howl.
Active rain wipers are fine, but I could never get them to work precisely the way I want. I regret having them.
19" wheels look cool. But, for me, I track both my cars, and good 19" performance tires are limited. Also, the combo is heavier.
Full leather interior is a must for me. Don't like the otherwise basketball surface look of the std.
Seats. Get the GT3 seats, or the electric heated basic. No in-between.
Sat Nav. Makes me feel like a wuss . What, you have no sense of direction? Practical, but doesn't give the right impression.

Yes. Cruise control is standard.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say heated seats are mandatory in a Boxster or any cabriolet. They allow you a lot more opportunity for top down driving in cooler weather.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruise is standard on USA 987s. I do not know about UK.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

P77 Sport Seats, about $800 and 220 Limited Slip for $950.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

So, Michael. Which car did you choose?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
michaelscain
Instructor

Originally Posted by Palting
So, Michael. Which car did you choose?
Well nothing yet, but am viewing the silver 987S this saturday, just hope i can get a few k off because of the credit crunch and this car being on the market for a couple of months now. Anyway i will keep you posted.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Second row seats.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my 987 S for nearly a year now and I've done a seasons slaloms and lots of driving...

But I still haven't got that clock in the middle of the dash to move. Does anyone know how the sports chrono thing works and what it is useful for?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:44 AM
00r101
Racer

RTFM as we say in the computer field Read The Flippin' Manual. The bottom left steering wheel stalk controls it.

Quick Reply: What are the best options on a 987S