Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car

I've had four 911's, including two 997's. When I leased a Boxster S three weeks ago, I knew it wasn't going to be as comfortable (I'm 6-foot-1 1/2) or roomy as the 911. What I hadn't foreseen was that after a few weeks of driving the car I would develop a pretty good case of sciatica -- pain down my right leg -- due to the funky ergonomics in the cabin of the Boxster. I've since learned that because the seat cushion from front to back is angled so much downward, ostensibly to allow for the low roof line and short distance to the gas pedal, it leaves your knees much higher than your hips. That's a recipe for lower back strain and sciatica. I went back to the dealer to discuss a possible trade in, only to learn I would be looking at about a $14,000 loss. I'm bummed. I love driving the car, but not with this level of discomfort. SO FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED, THIS NEW BOXSTER IS FOR SALE AT A DEEP DISCOUNT. To see the ad with photos, click on the following URL (it's the "Newy Listed" black on black Boxster S at the top of the page):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1229273611413

Last edited by wbgordon; 12-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you change the seat ....?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM
equ
Racer

Strangely enough, I have a problem with my bmw 3-series (e90) gas pedal. Holding my foot on it gives me pain down my leg after a half hour to one hour's drive. I have the sports & premium packages, so have both the sport bolsters/extendable base and the lumbar, nothing seems to help. I keep thinking of the nearly 1M people who must have this car... Why does it get me, as I'm relatively fit/healthy?

Not really any problems with the cayman, and I don't even have the lumbar option (would have been nice to have it).
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wbgordon
What I hadn't envisioned was that after a few weeks of driving the car I would develop sciatica -- pain down my right leg due to the poor ergonomics in the cabin of the Boxster.
Due to the poor ergonomics... after a few weeks?

I doubt that and don't understand why you're unfairly blaming your Boxster. Maybe your Boxster's seats put you in a position that aggravates your (existing) back condition? I have found seat fitment to be a very personal matter. As Irishdriver asks, why don't you change the seats? I have a messed-up back and changed my seats and like them MUCH better than the stock ones.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 PM
wbgordon
Racer

It's obviously not entirely the car's fault or else every Boxster owner would be complaining. And, yes, I have had back issues in the past. But having studied the relationship of my pain to the cabin of the car as I have since the onset of the back pain two weeks ago, I can report back with full confidence that ergonomics do indeed play a role here, a considerable role.

As far as replacing the seats is concerned, I have considered. But the central issue seems to be the low position of the hips in relation to the knees. And so you logically counter: Why not raise the seat? I have done so, with only a slight improvement of feel. Remember, due to the low roofline, you can't raise the seat too high or you run the risk of having your head scrape the roof of the car.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

You may want to look into GT3 "bucket" seats. I have a 986, but I picked up legroom and headroom which is even less in the 986. I am about the same 6'1". I did not find the seat pan of the GT3 seats angled any more than stock--if anything less than 986 stock seats. With these seats, you can also get brackets to lower/adjust the seat angle, but note that the whole seat tilts. You could also make/use different seat cushions. I find the support of the buckets superior to my stock 986 seats. I would recommend trying some different seats to see what fits you personally best. Even the GT3 seats would be cheaper than selling the car. Note that 986/996 seats fit 987/997 cars. The main difference is the lack of side airbags which would need to be disabled. I was not aware the 987 and 997 used different seats. Seems very unlike Porsche. Maybe just the pickup points are different?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Appreciate the advice, Arneared. A Porsche mechanic friend of mine suggested checking into Recaro seats, too. I can attest to the difference between 987 and 997 seats, esp since my last car, an '07 997S, had fully adjustable leather seats with lumbar support and, of course, more leg room. I never had a moment of back discomfort in that car. Nor do I experience back discomfort when I drive my wife's BMW X5. The seat pan height really makes a difference for some of us orthopedically challenged drivers, unfortunately.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Definitely check into the GT3 (or Recaro) seats. They are much thinner, so that is where you pick up head/legroom. I find that they almost grab my back and hold it taking weight off my lower back. Plus, they are great at > 1G. Getting in and out is a bit of a hassle, but worth it IMHO. Others find different seats more/less comfortable, so it's definitely a personal thing.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Swedenspyder
Track Day

I had the same back problems with my Boxster S -05 with its standard seats. It was impossible to drive long distances without using loose cushions as pains appeared after one hour of driving ... Had to trade in the old car to a new RS 60 Spyder with adaptive sports seats. These solved my problems with their movable lumbar support and tiltable seat cushions. A costly option but necessary to fully enjoy the car....

Boxster RS 60 red/red #674/1960
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by Swedenspyder
I had the same back problems with my Boxster S -05 with its standard seats. It was impossible to drive long distances without using loose cushions as pains appeared after one hour of driving ... Had to trade in the old car to a new RS 60 Spyder with adaptive sports seats. These solved my problems with their movable lumbar support and tiltable seat cushions. A costly option but necessary to fully enjoy the car....

Boxster RS 60 red/red #674/1960
I get a sinking feeling reading your response. The day I leased the black Boxster S, I also drove an RS 60 Spyder. I loved the sport-adjustable quick throttle response, the throaty exhaust note, even the seats felt better. The only thing that prevented me from leasing the nicer RS 60 car was my goal to keep the payments down a little. I own my own financial planning company, and I'm "hunkering down" for the next year or so in this treacherous economy. Reading your comment about how the seats saved your back, it makes me wonder "what if?"
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

wbgordon, I'm about your size and I had a 2005 Boxster S and felt exactly the same thing. I only had the car a year when I traded it in on a 2006 997S. I really miss driving the Boxster, but the 997 is just so much more comfortable inside.

I wish they would make it just slightly bigger on the inside and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I hope you find luck with a different seat.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
wbgordon, I'm about your size and I had a 2005 Boxster S and felt exactly the same thing. I only had the car a year when I traded it in on a 2006 997S. I really miss driving the Boxster, but the 997 is just so much more comfortable inside.

I wish they would make it just slightly bigger on the inside and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I hope you find luck with a different seat.
Elusive, what do you attribute most for the comfort difference in the 997 over the 987 -- the added leg room, the better seat or the reduced pitch in the seat?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

WB....is your wallet in your back pocket by any chance?

This question from a 25+ year success of spinal fusion, Porsche driver ('04 C4S Cab)....

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 PM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
WB....is your wallet in your back pocket by any chance?

This question from a 25+ year success of spinal fusion, Porsche driver ('04 C4S Cab)....
I know why you're asking -- it matters. The answer, however, is no. Thanks for the thought.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Originally Posted by wbgordon
I've had four 911's, including two 997's. When I leased a Boxster S three weeks ago, I knew it wasn't going to be as comfortable (I'm 6-foot-1 1/2) or roomy as the 911. What I hadn't foreseen was that after a few weeks of driving the car I would develop a pretty good case of sciatica -- pain down my right leg -- due to the funky ergonomics in the cabin of the Boxster. I've since learned that because the seat cushion from front to back is angled so much downward, ostensibly to allow for the low roof line and short distance to the gas pedal, it leaves your knees much higher than your hips. That's a recipe for lower back strain and sciatica. I went back to the dealer to discuss a possible trade in, only to learn I would be looking at about a $14,000 loss. I'm bummed. I love driving the car, but not with this level of discomfort.
While it sucks (for you) that you get back aches while driving your boxster, I really can't help but saying that it's not a "one size fits all" kind of world. We are not all built the same. We don't all wear the same size shoe, pants etc. I am tall too (6'-1/2"), and can't get into a lotus elise to save my life, but you don't hear me going around blaming lotus for designing the car the way they did. The lotus just did not fit me, so I bought a boxster s, no harm, no foul, no sore feelings. The Boxster fits me like a glove and I take nice long, comfortable trips with it and drive it everyday . I'd hate to think for them to have designed something larger, or heavier, or taller, just to fit you. Just like I'm sure elise owners would hate for Lotus to have built the elise larger.

Maybe you just need something else because obviously the boxster does not fit YOU, and you knew going it that it was smaller than your 911's. Don't whine about it and blame the car and it's design using terms like "funky ergonomics". Just realize that ergonomics are not the same for everyone, and heck even for people of the same total height things are different, that's why we have choices to make. Find what fits...and enjoy, but please don't blame a car for your bad decision.

Quick Reply: Back aches driving my new Boxster S -- I may have to dump the car